Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Am I Wrong to Feel Cold and What Should I Show?
Mostly wrong to feel cold, and act like a mourner 1 6.67%
Understandable given his relative lack of sympahty but act like a mourner 1 6.67%
Understandable given his relative lack of sympahty but be correct, not unduly sympathetic 3 20.00%
Though I shouldn't "put him in his place" how I feel is understandable 6 40.00%
Others as well as poll-takers, post your views 4 26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 01:11 PM

35,018 posts, read 16,978,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
But why do it at all? You haven't answered why you think starting a probably-longterm battle with him is a desirable work environment for anyone (or why you're confident you will "win" in the eyes of management and your coworkers).
Because I am not a doormat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2021, 01:31 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The context included the part after the semicolon.
Yes, but that portion of context is true of many many people who don't feel the need to keep everyone they know on tenterhooks!

Old 08-01-2021, 01:35 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Because I am not a doormat.
You don't need to be a doormat to coexist with irritating people OP. You can pick your battles and choose not to let them get under your skin. Different strategy.

Old 08-01-2021, 01:35 PM

35,018 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Yes, but that portion of context is true of many many people who don't feel the need to keep everyone they know on tenterhooks!
"Somewhat on guard" is not "tenterhooks." The fact that I am a litigating attorney keeps most non-attorneys "somewhat on guard" since I can ask targeted questions.

Old 08-02-2021, 05:53 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
The proper Golden Rule is "don't do unto others what would be hateful to you."
Your overall grudge-carrying attitude makes me think you've been hanging on to this for 25 years just waiting for a sad occasion to come up for this guy so you could finally repay him. And now you're dithering around! So, either $%&^ or get off the pot, as they say. Either give as good as you got or just get past it - you're wallowing doubly in terms of carrying this around and then wanting to be nasty and not doing it. And your proclivity toward over-precisness actually reads as defensiveness in this case (regarding "tenterhooks").

You've given way too much energy to this - how close are you to retirement? I think I'd suggest moving that up.

Old 08-02-2021, 06:04 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
Actually I'm not close to making up my mind. I am reading what people say. I put that post and poll together in a hurry.

Most are recommending I take the high road and I likely will. What I may do is a straddle; take the high road for now but at some point, when he's next in tears over his legal battle, tell him he has gotten a lot of leeway from a lot of people, which isn't always reciprocated. This would be not less than thirty days down the road, after the traditional mourning period passes.
Traditional mourning period? Traditional in Jewish, Hindu, and "Victorian times" has been 12 months for a parent. I know we tend to think of that period for a spouse and less for a parent nowadays but since you refer to "traditional" then I'd hope you abide by that. For most, waiting that long would naturally allow for a cooling off and then no action on your part but given your memory, it may not.

Old 08-02-2021, 08:26 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,237,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You don't need to be a doormat to coexist with irritating people OP. You can pick your battles and choose not to let them get under your skin. Different strategy.
OP has clearly chosen to live a sad, tit-for-perceived-tat life. His loss.

OP, brag all you want about your awesome memory. You are using it to make your life smaller and meaner. Such a waste.

Old 08-02-2021, 09:17 AM

9,115 posts, read 6,165,173 times
The OP has taken his profession, litigating attorney in an adversarial legal system, as his way of life. The OP apparently seems everything and everyone as an adversary to be controlled or manipulated.

The OP is within his rights not to forgive someone who has not asked for forgiveness; however, that does not condone being mean and hateful to that person.

Old 08-02-2021, 11:01 AM

130,114 posts, read 12,082,762 times
Let it go, holding on to a grudge makes you look petty.

Old 08-02-2021, 01:13 PM

13,692 posts, read 7,979,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I think you're overthinking this. Just do what is expected in a professional environment and move on.
Exactly. No more/No less. What happened years ago is history. As long as the co-worker doesn't attempt to dump their work load on the OP while they take time off....it's all good.

(Makes me glad I never had to work with the same people everyday. If I didn't like someone I only had to see them once maybe twice a week. And I never workrf in the same room with them.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning