Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a public group.

RELOCATING - HELP IN ALL AREAS

Group Created by HParr

This is a group where we will discuss all aspects of relocating including (but not limited to) discussions about emotions, realtors, information about different towns, education research, family challenges, finding health care professionals, the positive side of moving, new adventures, how to cope, etc.

View All Members Showing 10 of 3,102 Member(s)
Showing 5 of 165 Picture(s)
Showing Social Group Messages 1371 to 1380 of 1597
  1. ShastaLiving
  2. 02-16-2009 01:01 PM - permalink
    pear2apple
    Hi! I just joined the group because I want to relocate somewhere else. I live in Ohio and I just want to move and "start over" somewhere else. I was hoping people could help because I'm not sure where I want to go. I'm going to list things I like and if you could message me city suggestions, I would really appreciate it! 1. I want public transportation or walking distance to things, I would prefer to not have a car if possible 2. I love the summer, I love warm weather, I don't mind the cold but I would rather it was 50s and up always 3. I'm a graphic designer and I love art, so that must be prominent in the city in the way of museums, crafts, fashion, shows, festivals, etc 4. I am 26, I'm looking to live around people my age 5. I love to be active and hate to feel "isolated", I want to live somewhere with a great nightlife and somewhere that "something is always going on" 5. I live in Ohio and almost all my family is here, CA is too far though I loved visiting San Francisco 6. Chicago is the place I am most searching and love so far. Yes, its cold, but the other aspects: walking, public transport, arts, nightlife, make up for it. Please please! I would really appreciate some insight to different places, I have never visited anywhere south of Ohio, so I know nothing of those cities. I've also never been anywhere on the east coast but DC. I've also been laid off, so I need a job before I can move, I want to live in an apartment, preferably downtown so I can walk to wherever I want to go or take a subway/bus. Any help would be fantastic!! Thanks!
  3. all-americanpropertieskb
    02-15-2009 02:00 PM - permalink
    all-americanpropertieskb
    Hello All! I am a real estate agent in Upstate NY (Lake George/Glens Falls area) if you are looking for a small town feel with loads of winter and summer venues including a focus on the arts...This is where you should live!! taxes are not outrageous, great school systems and a lot of house for the $$
  4. NM_Photos
    02-13-2009 04:05 PM - permalink
    NM_Photos
    I'm a southern gal who was transplanted to the Midwest 28 years ago. I took early retirement in 2006 and have been researching where I'd like to live next. My entire childhood was spent in New Orleans, so I'm searching for a warm, tropical climate, fairly close to N.O., but not too close. I think I've narrowed it down to Pensacola, Fla. Specifically the East Hill and Pensacola Heights neighborhoods. Old architecture and lots of cultural events are very important to me. I'm an artist and would like to know if there's much of an art community there. Also, how far off the beach should you live to not get flooded in a hurricane? (I realize winds are usually the problem, but I fear flooding much more.) Any info regarding this area would be appreciated!
  5. Weather Wiccan
    02-11-2009 06:08 PM - permalink
    Weather Wiccan
    Yes, the Weather Wiccan here. I am hoping to relocate to Chareston, SC in a few months or less and will look forward to hear from those of you who have done so successfully. I'm on a real low income also, so I'll need help with that and other things. Thanks, Weather Wiccan signing off for now.
  6. lmart2366
    02-11-2009 10:49 AM - permalink
    lmart2366
    My fiance recently moved back to his hometown of Birmingham,AL from Los Angeles,CA with the goal of finding a job so he could take care of his family. He looked for a job here in LA for over a year a could not find anything, in the words of Gladys Knight, "L.A. proved too much for the man". So he left here back in January and after a month of being back home he secured a position and is currently in training. He has informed me that once he finds an apartment/house he likes ( he is currently staying with family) I am going to need to start tying up loose ends here in L.A. and get ready to make the move to B'HAM. Of course everyone here says that I won't like it, the climate and the culture are too different,AL is 20 years behind the rest of the country, etc., etc., etc. Now, I am a Southern California girl to my heart, but I am open to change, I have learned how to trust God and have been taught to, stick by my man(soon to be husband), and to follow where he leads. I look forward to this new experience, however,, I'm looking for feedback from any SoCAL or West Coast transplants on your experiences moving from this part of the country to the south. Was there culture shock, how did you deal with weather change, do you feel you made the right decision? What is the job market like ( I currently work in print production, trying to get more in to interactive/online media, but open to any type of client/media services)homes, people, churches, whatever? Just want honest feedback from someone that has done what I am planning to do.

Any feedback given is totally appreciated!

Thanks!
  7. ApraiseMom
    02-09-2009 02:46 PM - permalink
    ApraiseMom
    Hello everyone, I live in the Chicago (born and raised) area and am looking to move back to the DFW area where i lived for three years. I've heard and read that things have changed quite a bit in the Duncanville area, where i lived. I am now looking to move north of Dallas but am not sure where. I hear Las Collinas is a nice area but is a little expensive for me right now, somewhere between $700 and $850 would be ok. I've heard some things about carrollton good and bad but haven't made up my mind. Lewsiville? What about Coppell? What about anywhere close. I work in the medical field, usually in a doctors office and want to be close to work. I also have a 12 year old son and want to find a great school for him which will also have a great high school in that district. I know crime is everywhere but i don't want to be in the middle of it. Help!! I need it. Thanks in advance.
  8. ERA Carolina Mtn Homs
    02-09-2009 02:16 PM - permalink
    ERA Carolina Mtn Homs
    We are a full service Real Estate Company that has been serving Murphy NC for over 30 years. If you are looking into moving to the tri-state area we can help. Our agents are licensed in North Carolina, Georgia, and Tenn. Visit our web site www.CarolinaMtnHome.com for all our listings, vacation properties, and area information. Feel free to contact us and we can send you some information in our area.
  9. synthia67
    02-09-2009 07:46 AM - permalink
    synthia67
    Hi all, I just joined this group and wanted to introduce myself. I am a long time resident of Chicago. I am passionate about Chicagoland and would be happy to offer info to anyone considering moving to Chicago. I have lived in the city (west loop, Rogers Park and Bronzeville) and now live in a south suburb (Crete). I am a licensed real estate agent. You can check out my web site to browse properties for sale - http://snoble.illinoisproperty.com
  10. synchronicity1003
    02-08-2009 02:03 PM - permalink
    synchronicity1003
    Hi. I am in need of any resources to help me out of dead end rhode island. Kind of tough being isloated with no friends or relatives. Been laid off more than once that wiped out what I saved for emergencies. I want to take my chances moving to maine first chance I get, and wondering if there are churches where I could work and get room and board until I find more stable job and place of my own??????? " help." I also need friends,too.