Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2011, 08:18 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
This interchange has been well worth it because it prompted a member to post a picture of one of the finest carry weapons ever conceived, The S & W Bodyguard. Designed to be drawn from, or even fired through a coat pocket without snagging (Yes, it most certainly was), the gun also allows easy cocking of the shrouded hammer for accurate aimed fire with the typical crisp S & W trigger. It's been available in both steel and airweight versions with a variey of finishes and grips since its inception nearly sixty years ago. My own favorites are the airweight with a stainless cylinder shown, and the .357 chambering in all stainless steel. When I bought one of the latter, I was afraid that it would be a real stinker to shoot; but that is certainly not the case. Felt recoil is very moderate. I should mention that I'm not one who sneers at those who dislike severe recoil. If I were, I'd be sneering at myself.

Bill Jordan, a man who had definitely seen the elephant and who was responsible for Smith's introduction of the Combat Magnum, the Model 19, opined that a Bodyguard in .22 magnum would be ideal. Unfortunately, they've never brought out that variation although they've brought out almost every conceivable version of every J-frame. Of course, we do have the NAA minis; two of those in .22 magnum take up less space than one Bodyguard.
Ah yes, the venerable little NAA Mini-mag. I carried this one for years - am now considering replacing the grips with the boot style, so as to get a better hold on the tiny thing.

BTT - The J-frames are perhaps the best choice for a first carry gun - compact, reliable, & simple to operate. Plus they do pack a punch with some of the new self-defense rounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
That's one reason I'm glad I live in Texas. Brandishing is illegal, but if you shoot someone trying to harm you or others, it's a safe bet you'll be acquitted fairly quick. I have a personal story about how brandishing probably saved my own skin once, but I won't get into that here.

I'll just say that showing your weapon can save you from a carjacking. And carjackers aren't likely to complain to police.
If you legitimately use your weapon for self defense in Texas, you will nnot be indicted.

It is not illegal to brandish a firearm to prevent a crime.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:49 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,614,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
If you legitimately use your weapon for self defense in Texas, you will nnot be indicted.

It is not illegal to brandish a firearm to prevent a crime.
The key word is "legitimately". And brandishing can still get you arrested. And a good chance at ending up in court. "Preventing a crime" and "legitimate" are highly subjective terms, and it sometimes takes a judge or jury to determine that.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:12 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Ah yes, the venerable little NAA Mini-mag. I carried this one for years - am now considering replacing the grips with the boot style, so as to get a better hold on the tiny thing..
My favorite grips are the rubber slip-on; I prefer the pebbled to the smooth. I don't care for the oversize rubber on a hideout. There is also an after market rubber grip using side panels. Sorry, I don't have a link for that one.

North American Arms

On two occasions I've had magnum minis slip from my hand from recoil, arc high over my head, and land about fifteen feet behind me. Once, the cause was an oily hand. The other time was the result of trying to imitate a two-handed grip I'd seen in an article. This sort of thing is embarassing. In a gun fight it would be positively shameful.

Quote:
BTT - The J-frames are perhaps the best choice for a first carry gun - compact, reliable, & simple to operate. Plus they do pack a punch with some of the new self-defense rounds.
Sir, you speak my language.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
The key word is "legitimately". And brandishing can still get you arrested. And a good chance at ending up in court. "Preventing a crime" and "legitimate" are highly subjective terms, and it sometimes takes a judge or jury to determine that.
I was being specific about the brandishing. Some yayhoo waving a handgun around in public for no valid reason will most certainly be arrested. CHLs are given instruction when one can or cannot.

The Grand Jury determines the "subjectivity".

But yes, it could actually get to a trial in rare cases....and may depend a lot on the demeanor of the local DA.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:47 AM

665 posts, read 1,728,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Not at all, in some states it's perfectly legal to brandish if you feel threatened, and legal to shoot someone in self defense, but thanks for showing us you have no clue what your talking about
Not only do I have a clue what I'm talking about, I actually DO know what I'm talking about.

Go ahead try it. Shoot a robber and see how fast the family of the wounded or dead robber comes after your bank account, your house and future earnings.

get back to me from the poor house with the outcome

Old 04-14-2011, 10:53 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
I'd check out the Ruger LC-9. More concealable than a Glock 19 but with the same knock down power.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:57 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:
Yea, and why point out that it was a Beretta?? What difference does it make? I mean, it might offend Glock owners (although Glocks weren't popular then). OK....then it might offend Colt owners!
My personal favorite is my Walther PPK/S. It gets poo-pooed for the .380 ACP round, but I can hit with it. I am confident of it. That's very important.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:04 AM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackhippie View Post
Not only do I have a clue what I'm talking about, I actually DO know what I'm talking about.

Go ahead try it. Shoot a robber and see how fast the family of the wounded or dead robber comes after your bank account, your house and future earnings.

Then provide us with some proof....please...

OR go TROLL somewhere else...

Provide proof of what you say...it's obvious that MOST on here disagree with you...but since you KNOW what your talking about...there must be something behind it...you know "FACTS."............................

Old 04-14-2011, 11:06 AM

487 posts, read 1,357,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackhippie View Post

Good advise.
Let the robber kill you so you wont be sued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting