Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 09:21 PM

455 posts, read 1,132,101 times

Advertisements

Now it's known hawaii does have somewhat of a homeless person issue. However i believe a good number of those homeless were once mainlanders?

So my question is how did they arrive to be homeless in hawaii? Since hawaii is an island i find it hard to believe they paid money for airfare tickets as previously homeless people. So are a lot of these people just mainlanders chasing a dream to hawaii and it not just working out at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 10:42 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlofriend View Post
So my question is how did they arrive to be homeless in hawaii?
That is easy - they post on here - people egg them on, usually not from Hawaii, and say follow your dream. They burn thru the $10K they said they have, it lasts a couple of months, and then they can't afford to go back. It isn't complicated.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:46 AM

18 posts, read 64,159 times
If you listen to viper you'll be miss led, most of Hawai'i's homless population is Asain or Hispanic, followed by whites and lastly African Americans... i would say a lot of it has to do with the ice problem that Hawai'i has. I would guess that less than a quarter make up mainlanders.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:03 AM

206 posts, read 570,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
That is easy - they post on here - people egg them on, usually not from Hawaii, and say follow your dream. They burn thru the $10K they said they have, it lasts a couple of months, and then they can't afford to go back. It isn't complicated.
Throw a lei around his neck and give that man a lifetime supply of poi

Stranded in Paradise.

Live on the beach.

The ultimate dream.

Live off the ocean and island's natural bounty.

Don't need no stinkin' money.

Admittedly, a rather confining Paradise.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I you are going to live under the freeway, would you rather be in Seattle where it's currently
28 degrees, with a high of 36 today, or in Hawaii where it's probably in the 70s?

Some of the homeless panhandlers can make air fare in a day or two during our summer tourist season.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:14 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranMovingToMaui View Post
If you listen to viper you'll be miss led, most of Hawai'i's homless population is Asain or Hispanic, followed by whites and lastly African Americans... i would say a lot of it has to do with the ice problem that Hawai'i has. I would guess that less than a quarter make up mainlanders.
Such seriously bad informtion from someone who doesn't live in Hawaii. Wow. One of the most false statements on here for awhile.

I'll give you some actual fiscal year 2012 statistics:

Homeless demographics per University of Hawaii and the Hawaii State Department of Human Services.

About 32% are caucasion, 28% Hawaiian/part-Hawaiian, 10% Micronesion, 10% Asian, 7% Marshallese, 6% other pacific islander, 4% black, 3% other....

Hispanic doesn't even make the list.

60% are male

25% are children under 18

42% lifetime Hawaii residents

11% are in Hawaii 1 year or less (did I mention dreamers)

About 10,000 of the 13,000 or so homeless in Hawaii live on Oahu, with the majority located in Waianae

Old 01-12-2013, 02:45 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:
LMAO @ the "follow your dream" part.

They say the same thing in the LA forums too. "Follow your dream. You don't ever want to go through life having regrets, do you?"

Then the dumb saps come to the city believing they'll be the "special" one out of the millions who came before them.

NYC does it too, but I will admit that the posters are more ruthlessly HONEST in what will happen to them if they have no money.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:45 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Since the state of Hawaii has government assisted housing vouchers for residents of Hawaii, that keeps some of the low income residents out of the homeless camps. Lots of low income Hawaii residents have family that keep them out of the homeless camps. Dreamers who come from the mainland with no money are not eligible for the housing vouchers, nor do they have family to take them in, so that gives them a greater chance of ending up homeless.

Since drugs and alcohol are big contributors to homelessness, there are going to be homeless that are homeless because of their substance abuse issues. Hawaii, with very low salaries and very high housing costs, is going to have more homeless that are working poor and just can't earn enough to rent even a tiny place. In places with cheap housing, you don't run into that sort of homeless.

But yes, we sure see a lot of notes from people with no job skills and not much money who have enough for a plane ticket and 1-2 months rent, who are sure they can make it work. If those people don't have family back on the mainland who will bail them out, they end up homeless.

It seems to be this commonly held dream that a person can live on the beach and eat fish and coconuts and lounge around drinking beer all day. I don't think that works anywhere and it sure doesn't work in Hawaii. But still they arrive in Hawaii with no money and no marketable job skills..

Old 01-12-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Such seriously bad informtion from someone who doesn't live in Hawaii. Wow. One of the most false statements on here for awhile.

I'll give you some actual fiscal year 2012 statistics:

Homeless demographics per University of Hawaii and the Hawaii State Department of Human Services.

About 32% are caucasion, 28% Hawaiian/part-Hawaiian, 10% Micronesion, 10% Asian, 7% Marshallese, 6% other pacific islander, 4% black, 3% other....

Hispanic doesn't even make the list.

60% are male

25% are children under 18

42% lifetime Hawaii residents

11% are in Hawaii 1 year or less (did I mention dreamers)

About 10,000 of the 13,000 or so homeless in Hawaii live on Oahu, with the majority located in Waianae
I guess it would depend on who did the study your looking at UH says one thing, Hawai'i.gov says another

Old 01-12-2013, 07:03 PM

Also If your statistics are correct, I was right in saying less than a quarter come from the mainland. But a study I just read said up to 40% come from the mainland...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii