Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 02:46 PM

7 posts, read 29,039 times

Advertisements

ok so this is to directly address the issue people have with racism towards people in hawaii
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 02:48 PM

7 posts, read 29,039 times
ok so this is how it is. in hawaii there are two definitions to the word 'haole.' some of us use it jus as an adjective. like, 'ya, that cute, kinda haole boy'. but wen a tourist or non-local resident does somethin we see as dumb, selfish, arrogant, etc most locals will get mad. in hawaii we do things so differently than in the mainland. we look out for each other and care about each other. every one here is an auntie or an uncle. we dont only look out for ourselves or our close family. we're all family. theres a reason y we're called the aloha state. in the mainland, most haoles aren't like that and aren't used to the way WE live in HAWAII. so wen they do somethin outta our culture, it pisses us off and to us, looks selfish or 'haole'. wat a lot of people dont realize is that there are a lot of issues still going on today that provoke locals to have resentment towards tourists. we are a minortiy in our own land. because so many haole people are moving here, our people are livin in tents on the beach. our kids are gettin crappy education because are state is short of money, money thats being used to build more hotels to hold the tourists that our land has come to rely on. now dont get me wrong, i think racism is unacceptable. but yu need to understand where its coming from. years and generations of mistreatment on our own land. a land that isnt even legally owned by the US. asians, blacks, and hispanics, its not that bad for yu guys. if we make racial comments they're said as jokes. we're so diverse here that we tease other races for a laugh. we tease our own ethnic backgrounds! im portuguesse and i ALWAYS crack up at 'potaguee' jokes. they're siad out of love. they dont mean anything. so if yur not frm here and yu hear a joke about yur race, suck it up n dnt b so sensitive. learn how to play around and relax. this is hawaii. There is such a pride here. a pride of 'reppin da 808,' of having da poly blood in you. polynesians are proud people who love and know how to have fun. we will stand for what we believe in and we dont break down easily. thats y there is so much opposition towards haoles. because our people are being overrun by the wrong type of haoles, and it makes us so angry. if yu are haole, but yur nice. and yu kno how to fit in, it'll take some time to prove to the locals yu can be AWESOME, but once yu do, yu'll b fine. its the haoles who act up and think they're bigger or better than hawaiians that fall prey to the anger and resentment. the haoles who think we live in grass shacks, and dont have to go to school. the haoles who think we paddle to places and dont kno english. those people are naive. hawaiians are proud, strong people who know the values of love, respect, and how to take care of the land, the family, and the people

Last edited by 7th generation; 04-26-2010 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: please watch your language. thanks.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:56 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,590,783 times

Old 04-26-2010, 03:24 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,621,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayn808 View Post
ok so this is how it is. in hawaii there are two definitions to the word 'haole.' some of us use it jus as an adjective. like, 'ya, that cute, kinda haole boy'. but wen a tourist or non-local resident does somethin we see as dumb, selfish, arrogant, etc most locals will get mad. in hawaii we do things so differently than in the mainland. we look out for each other and care about each other. every one here is an auntie or an uncle. we dont only look out for ourselves or our close family. we're all family. theres a reason y we're called the aloha state. in the mainland, most haoles aren't like that and aren't used to the way WE live in HAWAII. so wen they do somethin outta our culture, it pisses us off and to us, looks selfish or 'haole'. wat a lot of people dont realize is that there are a lot of issues still going on today that provoke locals to have resentment towards tourists. we are a minortiy in our own land. because so many haole people are moving here, our people are livin in tents on the beach. our kids are gettin crappy education because are state is short of money, money thats being used to build more hotels to hold the tourists that our land has come to rely on. now dont get me wrong, i think racism is unacceptable. but yu need to understand where its coming from. years and generations of mistreatment on our own land. a land that isnt even legally owned by the US. asians, blacks, and hispanics, its not that bad for yu guys. if we make racial comments they're said as jokes. we're so diverse here that we tease other races for a laugh. we tease our own ethnic backgrounds! im portuguesse and i ALWAYS crack up at 'potaguee' jokes. they're siad out of love. they dont mean anything. so if yur not frm here and yu hear a joke about yur race, suck it up n dnt b so sensitive. learn how to play around and relax. this is hawaii. There is such a pride here. a pride of 'reppin da 808,' of having da poly blood in you. polynesians are proud people who love and know how to have fun. we will stand for what we believe in and we dont break down easily. thats y there is so much opposition towards haoles. because our people are being overrun by the wrong type of haoles, and it makes us so angry. if yu are haole, but yur nice. and yu kno how to fit in, it'll take some time to prove to the locals yu can be AWESOME, but once yu do, yu'll b fine. its the haoles who act up and think they're bigger or better than hawaiians that fall prey to the anger and resentment. the haoles who think we live in grass shacks, and dont have to go to school. the haoles who think we paddle to places and dont kno english. those people are naive. hawaiians are proud, strong people who know the values of love, respect, and how to take care of the land, the family, and the people
Thank you for being honest... I couldnt have described it better myself. To everyone who is thinking about moving to Hawaii read this and think about what was said. Think about how you are viewed, particularly if you are a "mainland haole". They assume you look down on them before you even open your mouth. They think that they are nicer than you, treat people better than you do, are more humble than you and are more tolerant than you. They already resent you unless you have proven yourself and have been accepted. So keep your head down, don't have strong opinions, and go with the flow because if you speak your mind the **** will hit the fan whether you are right or wrong.

There is a lot of history that has lead to this kind of view of haoles which people should learn about before they move out there. Im not here to debate the colonization, the overthrow, etc... I am just saying that you will have to deal with all of this baggage when you move to the islands. Not everyone I encountered views haoles like that, but a lot of locals do. Awesome post hayn808!!! Thanks again.

Last edited by 7th generation; 04-26-2010 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: removed offensive language from quote

Old 04-26-2010, 03:30 PM

201 posts, read 823,226 times
(Commends UHgrad for his ability to decipher that, because man... my mainland haole education left me wanting, it's left me completely dependent on the "paragraph" feature.)

Based on UHgrads translation, I have to say I feel fortunate to call some wonderful Hawaiians friend; however I also learned to have my own support group of fellow transplants. There is no rule that says you have to assimilate to be content and socially active.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:02 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,621,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquariusmom View Post
(Commends UHgrad for his ability to decipher that, because man... my mainland haole education left me wanting, it's left me completely dependent on the "paragraph" feature.)
I stay married to one local girl

Old 04-26-2010, 04:29 PM

52 posts, read 208,984 times
We are from the mainland.I understand even better than I did before this blog. I am ashamed of myself for jumping down a neighbors throat over basically my fear and mainland attitude,which comes out when I am angry and or scared.Cursing errupted. It rarely does but it did and I probably lost a possible friend. I understand no one is perfect and I am really learning all the time,which is good. Not that we can change the past but I wish I grew up here so that the knowledge would come easier. The Big Island is a beautiful island and there isn't a room for bad attitudes.All I can say is I am truly sorry for mine.I am working on it.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:55 PM

361 posts, read 1,088,339 times
how would hawaiians act towards a haole coming to learn about polynesian culture (history, traditions, tiki, etc)? Would they be put off by that or more so embrace it? As in, would they find such a thing tacky and invasive? I would like to go to Hawaii (and the rest of Polynesia as well) to learn more about the natives culture and explore and take in some breath taking views around the islands (and sip the occasional coconut shell of kava )- not sun burning myself on the beach in front of some giant, plastic and obstructive hotel. i've always been intrigued by the polynesian "warrior culture" as well as tiki mythology.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:01 PM

24 posts, read 127,111 times
we hear you, hayn808

Old 04-26-2010, 06:33 PM

41 posts, read 113,442 times
Oh yeah, all my haole friends who were born and raised in the islands and had to fight for their lives every day in the public schools (not just on Kill Haole Day) never really had an issue with it because they understood that their grandparents must have taken some Hawaiian's job so it was only fair that their grandkids pay the price. Of course every other race that came here after the Hawaiians took jobs from the Hawaiians too but I don't recall ever hearing about Kill Potaguee Day but I've only been here 10 years.

Humboldt you'll meet some cool people if you ever get the chance to talk to them. Others won't look beyond the color your skin and just see you as another mainland hippie and you won't get two words out about your love of poly culture. If you're a haole guy you can make it easier for yourself my marrying a local girl. I didn't do that but I did have my kids here so we'll see how they get treated in school. Probably the same as I just said but we'll see.

The OP is right that you can't be too sensitive if you want to last here. I'm haole but got dark skin and hair so no one gives me any trouble in the surf. Doesn't mean I'll ever be accepted as one of them because as soon as I open my mouth they know I'm not from here. But that's okay. Plenty of racism here and plenty of aloha too. Hope I never have to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii