Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 01:32 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times

Advertisements

How long before Blinky gets to Hawaii?

Hawaii - you've got a potential problem-mutant-fish-blinky.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 01:43 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,750 times

Old 09-14-2013, 11:06 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Default Yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
What about radioactive cannibals?? Cast adrift from the shores of Japan by the tsunami?? And now, after a few years at sea, starving??? Starving, radioactive, Japanese cannibals......................

you thought Japanese tourists were annoying
I stand ready with my sling-shot...
Koale

Old 09-17-2013, 06:58 AM

324 posts, read 714,520 times
The first wave of radioactive flotsam arrived in Alaskan water less than a year after the tsumami. Add to that the first known contaminated salmon. Yep, you've obviously drunk the kool-aid. Hawaii is dead center in the northern loop - a bullseye you might say.

Finding the flotsam: where is Japan's floating tsunami wreckage headed? : Nature News & Comment

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/13/us...ches.html?_r=0

Ocean Pollution - Tsunami in Japan Sends Toxic Debris into Pacific

If you've experienced a hurricane lately, you've received small doses of radiation. Yes, it comes down in the form of rain Madge.

Just keep putting your head in the sand - it will go away, but in the meantime it might be a good idea to keep some potassium chloride on hand.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:55 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawknest View Post
Just keep putting your head in the sand - it will go away, but in the meantime it might be a good idea to keep some potassium chloride on hand.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:08 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawknest View Post
The first wave of radioactive flotsam arrived in Alaskan water less than a year after the tsumami. Add to that the first known contaminated salmon. Yep, you've obviously drunk the kool-aid. Hawaii is dead center in the northern loop - a bullseye you might say.
Apparently you haven't understood your own linked information, which quite clearly shows the way the currents pushing the debris and the radioacativity along largely miss Hawai'i as they pass to our north. We're not in the bullseye. We're barely in the outside ring.

And that matches our real life experiences so far, which have seen far more debris hit the West Coast than has landed here. And the radiation monitoring all around the state will let us know if there is anything to actually be concerned with.

Quote:
Everyone who stocked up on potassium chloride back when the reactors were melting down probably still has theirs, because it wasn't needed then.

Anyways, the biggest actual danger to Hawai'i and the West Coast seems to be ecological, because lots of sea animals that are alien to our shores are hitchiking along with the debris, so there's some danger from crabs and snails and other species that have the potential to become invasive. So far that seems to be the biggest concern scientists have around here.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:58 PM

Andddddddd... the reports from the molasses spill are not good...

25,000 fish dead, estimates of $3 Billion loss in coral, the harbor is shut down, and most of the molasses is still there...

Molasses Spill In Honolulu Keeps Getting Worse

Old 09-23-2013, 12:05 AM

The sticky molasses spill isn't getting resolved quickly or easily. It turns out the leak was discovered a year ago, but nothing was done about it.

Hawaii Molasses Spill Pipe Had Leak 1 Year Before, Matson Knew

And even though Matson has said they will pay for the cleanup, they also indicated they might just get out of the business of shipping molasses altogether because they think the risk is too high on a business they don't make much money on. They've been shipping a load to California every week to be used as an additive for cattle feed. That takes at least two ships in rotation, but it's only a tiny fraction of their total business.

The big question to me is, will this doom Maui's Hawaiian Commercial & Sugar Company (HC&S), the last sugar plantation in Hawai'i. If they can't get rid of the molasses, a byproduct of sugar production, how can they continue?

Matson Considers Discontinuing Molasses Export To U.S. Mainland

Old 09-23-2013, 12:26 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Thank goodness for people who actually do the research. Unless someone proves OpenD wrong, THERE'S my source of information.

I battle anxiety and, though I don't stick my head in the sand, I can hardly handle watching the doom and gloom news. Actually, that started in Memphis when every morning brought a new body or two found, several drive-by shootings, etc etc. The morning news here is thankfully lighter but I prefer not to watch it anyway. I focus on what I can control - myself and how I affect the world. I can't stop the radiation no matter what direction it drifts. I have braved several visits to Hiroshima!

McFrosty that's so funny. This whole thread has put a smile on my face, oddly enough.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:43 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,843 times
Actually, the biggest concern I've had is the cesium in the Ahi. But to Hawaii and the fishing industry's credit, they are monitoring it very closely. The problem is those Ahi are great swimmers. One article I read said they cross back and forth across the Pacific ocean numerous times in a year. So our sushi is a jetsetter (or is that ocean-setter?)

Anyway, KITV had a story on this a year ago. Trace radiation found in West Coast tuna | National News - KITV Home

And Safe Harbor, one of the testing companies, has a pretty clear article about its policies.
Safe Harbor Foods - Fish & seafood safety testing standards - Safe fish eating for you and your family

So heck with stocking up on potassium chloride! Stock up on Ahi! Or use plenny okolehau on top if you cook'em
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: