Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 12:07 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
They move out during the day and setup camp when the sun goes down.
In Kailua? Where do they go during the day? The beaches aren't exactly on the main highway. It isn't exactly a short walk to stores.

But to answer your question - I go to the beach during the day when the sun is out. I suppose if they'd rather sleep on the beach and not bother anyone at night when nobody is there versus a shelter than so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 02:49 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,759,437 times
@Colonel Domo

I see you didn't read the other part and you only quoted what fits your philosophy. No biggie. Just hope no bad luck hits you and you become homeless or etc.

Hmm my sympathies, though laudable, are misplaced? How so?

I believe i was talking about stuff like sleep, not having a choice to live in the hilton hotel or not. I believe the minimal stat is that only 22% of Hawaii’s homeless have some form of employment, while Sixty six percent of the state's homeless people are unsheltered, making Hawaii's population highest of unsheltered individuals. 14% of those homeless are veterans. 11% of those living without housing are children.

So if the documentted counts have:

22% of Hawaii’s homeless have some form of employment.
11% of those living without housing are children.
14% of those homeless are veterans
?% with disibilities or mental health issues or Srs?

So that already about 1/2 the homeless population.

Pg 1/2

Old 02-08-2015, 02:51 PM

Pg 2/2

@Colonel Domo

Your quote: It is not only convenient to describe the overwhelming majority of homeless with those stereotypes, it is usually quite accurate, as well.

Well how accurate is those stereotypes now?

Old 02-08-2015, 02:55 PM

You make it sound like there are a lot of homeless on Oahu. For an island of about 1,000,000 people, we've got about 5,000 or less. That's it. Most choose that lifestyle. And there are shelters available they choose to not use.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:58 PM

I agree. The state should absolutely put any homeless kids in foster care. Just because your parents are addicted, lazy, or mentally ill shouldn't mean you penalize the kids.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
You make it sound like there are a lot of homeless on Oahu. For an island of about 1,000,000 people, we've got about 5,000 or less. That's it. Most choose that lifestyle. And there are shelters available they choose to not use.
Again your not reading the posts, your in denial.

In the 2014 “State of Homelessness in America” report, Hawaii ranked highest among the 50 states for homeless people per capita. A recent state-sponsored tally found there were more than 4,700 homeless on Oahu, with at least 2,200 on neighboring islands — figures that most advocates agree underreport the true total.

We have one of the highest homeless populations in the country here in Oregon. Our homeless population is 6,101 in 2014 in the whole state. We get alot of homeless from other areas of the country because the weather isnt bad and we are friendly with services and laws. Oregons population is about 3,970,239 people. Do you now see that you do have an issue?

Pg 1/2

Old 02-08-2015, 03:34 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
That number seemed low so I did a quick google and this article estimates 7500 on Oahu which is more inline with estimates I've heard elsewhere.

THE OTHER SIDE OF PARADISE: Inside Hawaii's Giant Homeless Community [PHOTOS] - Business Insider
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-08-2015, 03:36 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post

In the 2014 “State of Homelessness in America” report, Hawaii ranked highest among the 50 states for homeless people per capita. A recent state-sponsored tally found there were more than 4,700 homeless on Oahu, with at least 2,200 on neighboring islands — figures that most advocates agree underreport the true total.

Pg 1/2
So you're number for Oahu agrees with whtviper's.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-08-2015, 03:37 PM

@whtviper1

pg 2/2: I appreciate that you want to make poverty or homelessness in issue of morality.

But the reality and fact is if tomorrow all the homeless in Hawaii where to get sober tomorrow and follow the rules of shelters there wouldn't be enough shelter space to house all the homeless. This is also why making Homelessness illegal and a morality issue is so ugly.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
So you're number for Oahu agrees with whtviper's.
Yes the figures are the same but it is higher then anyone elses in the country per capita. Another words for the population size of Oahu or Hawaii, you guys have a worse homeless problem then other states x3+ your population. Which was the point i was making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii