Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 02:33 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times

Advertisements

With proper ventilation any structure can be kept dry, no matter what it is made of. With proper shade and insulation any structure can be kept cool, no matter what it is made of.

A buddy just attended a architectural conference in D.C., and he sent me a photo of a very nice three story tall college dorm constructed of surplus shipping containers he visited in Virginia. And there have been many hundreds, perhaps thousands, of private homes, some quite luxurious, built over the last several decades utilizing surplus ISO shipping containers.

In the right configuration, and properly designed and adapted for the intended purpose, these containers offer certain positive benefits, including greater physical strength than conventional wooden frame construction, immediate weather-tight shelter, and ability to relocate if needed. They're ideal for disaster relief. And container based offices and portable classrooms have been utilized by Hawaii County for decades, and as recently as the lava flow emergency in Puna.

Another architect friend is building and selling 20' shipping containers converted into woodland cabins in the PNW. They get completely outfitted in town, then trucked out to location and dropped into place and hooked up. In that regard they are similar to house trailers, but many times stronger, and are fire resistant.

As far as the rooms resulting from dividing a 20' into 2 units, or a 40' into 4 units, the resulting SROs (Single Resident Occupancy) are larger (9' X 7' 10" typically) than the minimum requirement for residential hotels and boarding houses across the country. Even standard height units (7' 10" inside before paneling) have already been approved all over Hawai'i. These are typically bedrooms only, with shared bathroom and cooking facilities.

Don't let middle class tastes and values fool you... if properly done, these units could be a major upgrade for many of the clients they are targeted for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 06:54 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
This idea was proposed years ago as transitional housing for the homeless, and there was outcry at the inhumanity of the idea. But here's the thing, it kinda really is a good idea. Shipping containers can be made very comfortable and habitable as one of the previous posters shared.

I waffle between disappointment in the government and disappointment with the citizens.

It may not be the answer but it deserves discussion.

I've actually started to feel unsafe out running with all of the homeless living in the bushes around the beaches.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-05-2015, 06:58 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

I've actually started to feel unsafe out running with all of the homeless living in the bushes around the beaches.
Come to Kailua. No homeless hanging out in the bushes here

Old 02-05-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Come to Kailua. No homeless hanging out in the bushes here
Now that you mention it..... I don't recall any at Whole Foods and the surrounding area. /lol

They are cleaning up my side with all the new housing and golf courses.

Our run yesterday was the path from Waipahu Depot Rd. to part of Pearl Harbor and behind Leeward Community College... so not exactly Lanikai. But a good middle point for me to meet my GF.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:28 PM

You don't even need to go to Lanakai. Kailua Beach park and Kalama Beach park (easiest street parking) has no homeless.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
You don't even need to go to Lanakai. Kailua Beach park and Kalama Beach park (easiest street parking) has no homeless.
I know, I've been there quite a bit. I've seen homeless in Kailua just not living on the beach.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I've seen homeless in Kailua just not living on the beach.
They must be hiding in those bushes you mentioned - haven't seen any personally in Kailua - where?

Old 02-05-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
They must be hiding in those bushes you mentioned - haven't seen any personally in Kailua - where?
I'm sorry are looking for the nearest cross street... GPS....?

Old 02-06-2015, 11:42 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,000 times
Quote:
How does one keep an all metal container cool? They get 120+ degrees when crossing the ocean to Hawaii. I have a hard time thinking they get AC.
I lived in one with a roommate for a year in Afghanistan. A ductless heat pump did both heat and AC. Floor was linoleum, walls were cheap paneling, roof was suspended acoustic tile, and it had a door and window in the front and a window in the back. There was no running water in the unit, but it did have electricity. We had a toilet and shower trailer to support 10-20 "houses."

Beat the heck out of the GP Large tent I shared with about 25 guys for the first four weeks in country.

They're not great, but they are more secure than other homeless options, and it beats the beach or an open bay shelter every time!

Perfect is the enemy of good. This is good potential solution to what is a huge problem here on Oahu, but since it's not perfect, I don't see it as a solution that will be seriously considered.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:44 AM

^^^ Great post.

AND it was good enough as temp housing for soldiers (or subcontractors?), but not good enough for the homeless? I just don't understand the mentality around this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii