Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 03:44 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times

Advertisements

I don't get bored when I 'm in Hawaii, but I can see that if I lived there or was there longer than a month, I'd get a bit of Island Fever. Just knowing, I can jump into my car or train or ferry ride, for a cheap weekend escape makes me feel better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 07:58 AM

80 posts, read 88,565 times
Hawaii isn't different from anyplace else, things get old, redundant or just normal, whether that's restaurants, activities, people or even the surroundings. It's not the nonstop exciting adventure that tourists and non-locals think it is. Consider it a form of hedonic adaptation.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:04 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times
"Yes, but in Seattle, you can always get in your car and drive somewhere for a little weekend trip. You can't really do that in Hawaii."

I don't agree. Hilo and the Kona side are so different they might as well be different islands. I could see getting geographically bored on a little island like Oahu though.

Frankly, with a full time job and trying to run a farm and other endeavors on top of that, I don't have time for anything, especially getting bored.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:54 AM

521 posts, read 733,191 times
I disagree with those saying boredom is just a state of mind and blah blah. I was very bored on Kauai since it rained so much and I was devoured by mosquitos whenever I left the house. It became too much of a chore just to get the mail having to put on bug spray. I watched more TV there than any other time in life. My husband didn't get bored at all but he's always been a home body. In San Diego I can go hiking almost daily and not feel gross, sticky the whole time and don't get bug bites. My husband also didn't have the bug bite issue in Kauai so he wasn't as bothered. It really depends the person. I didn't like the limited restaurants that a seemed over priced and had constant buyers remorse after going out to eat. Here I can get good cheap Mexican food and it's worth the price. Anyway, it really is case by case and has, nothing to do with state of mind BS.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:01 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgali View Post
I disagree with those saying boredom is just a state of mind and blah blah. I was very bored on Kauai since it rained so much and I was devoured by mosquitos whenever I left the house. It became too much of a chore just to get the mail having to put on bug spray. I watched more TV there than any other time in life. My husband didn't get bored at all but he's always been a home body. In San Diego I can go hiking almost daily and not feel gross, sticky the whole time and don't get bug bites. My husband also didn't have the bug bite issue in Kauai so he wasn't as bothered. It really depends the person. I didn't like the limited restaurants that a seemed over priced and had constant buyers remorse after going out to eat. Here I can get good cheap Mexican food and it's worth the price. Anyway, it really is case by case and has, nothing to do with state of mind BS.
'Scuse me for chuckling ...

Old 12-23-2017, 04:47 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Do most folks become un-bored by driving somewhere? Aren't entertainment options usually closer to home?

Old 12-26-2017, 11:06 AM

163 posts, read 268,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
That's why I wouldn't want to live in Hawaii, or any small island for that matter.
Why are you in the Hawaii section, then?

Old 12-28-2017, 11:59 AM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
Why are you in the Hawaii section, then?
So are you saying I should not be allowed to give my opinion if I would get bored living in Hawaii because I've never been there? I've never been to many places in this world, but I have opinions of many of those places if I would want to live there or not. Don't you?

I would love to visit Hawaii for a few weeks, I'm sure It's gorgeous there, but each island is relatively small. The largest island, Hawaii has 4028 square miles. That's smaller than the state of Connecticut and also smaller than several large metro areas. The 2nd largest island, Maui has 725 square miles. That's a smaller land area than the city limits of Jacksonville, Florida.

I know myself well enough that after awhile, I'd be wanting to go someplace else for a few days. I'm sure It's not exactly cheap to hop on an airplane and fly to another island on a whim. Here in Austin, Texas, I can get in my car and drive to Houston or Dallas or New Orleans, on a whim. Can't really do that in Hawaii.

The only island in the world I think I might like to live on is Key West, Florida. If I started feeling claustrophobic in Key West, I can always get in my car and be in Miami and mainland Florida in a couple of hours.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:30 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
So are you saying I should not be allowed to give my opinion if I would get bored living in Hawaii because I've never been there?
He's probably saying your opinion isn't very relevant.

But hey, it is an anonymous message board - you are probably just bored.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:40 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,144,519 times
I have lived for many years in Austin and even more years in Honolulu. IMO Honolulu is much less boring than Austin.

The only funny thing I recalled living in Austin is go watching swimmers skinny dipping in Lake Travis. Or driving to Laredo and cross the border to hop on a 18-hour train to Mexico City.

Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and even Corpus Christi are essentially boring places -- not much to see. In fact, Texas is itself boring. And the people are much less friendly and open-minded than those in Hawaii.

Of course, you can drive to New Orleans or Florida. But that is a much longer trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii