Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2009, 06:09 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,591,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise31 View Post
Just because he's vertically challenged doesn't shield him from the truth!
No it doesn't it just goes over his head.........

Old 12-10-2009, 06:20 PM

292 posts, read 949,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post
No it doesn't it just goes over his head.........
LOLOL You are baaaaaaaaaaaad!

Old 12-10-2009, 06:24 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,507,074 times
Gestalt,

Are you going to be okay? Is there someone we should call? You seem pretty upset about all this. Maybe you should step away from the keyboard for awhile, and clear your mind. Don't have a stroke over this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
Don't tell me that that isn't what is happening here,....
That's not what's happening here. You made a whoooole lot of wrong assumptions, but I have to go back to work now, so maybe I'll come back to it later.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
Because I have real estate holdings here and if I sell now I'll take a bath.

Aw honey, I am disappointed. I thought you were there cause you loved it.

I'm so sorry. But the market is allowing me my dream and I can't wait. But of course I am a blond blue eyed haole with a bunch of mixed kids and big dogs.. I look beyond the day to day and straight into the eyes of the future. Hawaii has always been kind to me as have been her people. I will give back in gratitude the best way I know how.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:27 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,507,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
Before making my first post in this forum, I spent a fair amount of time considering why there were the same 6 or 7 people who seem to have the same agenda. I thought I must have been mistaken at first, but then it just became too obvious to overlook.

If your experience is so bad in Hawaii, Balad, why are you staying?

If anyone's experience in Hawaii was as bad as they're claiming, and if life were so "impossible", why would THEY be staying?

As far as it just being "my" experience that life here isn't a nightmare, why is it that all of my friends seem to be very happy as well? No one I know complains the way I have seen you and a certain group of others complaining in this forum.

I'm asking you again, and this is not a rhetorical question: if things here are so rough, why are you staying?

I moved.... and until my kids are out of school, I won't move back.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:27 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,036,145 times
I've always been honest in my observations and experiences about living in Hawaii. I've also tried to let everyone know that different islands and areas of each island can be different also. (The "there are many truths statement").

I am not trying to run anyone off who has the education, training or funds to prosper here. But for those that can't make it on the mainland they sure as hell won't make it here.

Retired, got money or a good pension? Come on down; it's 3:30 in the afternoon, the temperature is 82 degrees and retired life is good.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Aw honey, I am disappointed. I thought you were there cause you loved it.

I'm so sorry. But the market is allowing me my dream and I can't wait. But of course I am a blond blue eyed haole with a bunch of mixed kids and big dogs.. I look beyond the day to day and straight into the eyes of the future. Hawaii has always been kind to me as have been her people. I will give back in gratitude the best way I know how.
You will be fine and with your positive attitude you will be quite happy on Kauai.

Actually I'll try living fulltime on the BI before I decide to pack it in for the mainland.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
You will be fine and with your positive attitude you will be quite happy on Kauai.

Actually I'll try living fulltime on the BI before I decide to pack it in for the mainland.
Good. Glad to hear that. I am hoping that works for you.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Good. Glad to hear that. I am hoping that works for you.
Thanks I'm sure it will all work out.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:45 PM

10 posts, read 27,862 times
To validate Balad1 's reason for staying: yes Hawaiian real estate in general has taken a big dump. The cheapest houses are now on the BI. Places in Oahu are still way tooo expensive. He would probably stand to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars if he sold while the market was down.
As for my reason to staying in Hawaii, i've been dating a white guy for three years who was born and raised on the big island. He refuses to leave because he grew up here, has a job, and has family and friends here. I tried to reason with him:
1. He hates the beach and never goes, ever, i have to drag him, he splashes around for 15 min and then demands we get back in the car.
2. He never speaks to his parents save for the holidays
3. He doesn't like his job
The only upside is he has a great group of friends he grew up with here.

I argue, if he moves back to Texas with me we can have the luxuries a good city can provide, i always took them for granted, including free trash and recycle pick up, paved roads, our kids will have sidewalks to play on and decent public schools to attend, museums to visit , water that doesn't come from a catchment tank (this is highly unsanitary b/c most ppl don't have the $ to clean these tanks every yr like they should thus sometimes rats fall in and die or birds bath and deficate in the covers., which is why you only bathe in this water and don't drink it, your drinking water you have to haul in yourself from spigots located on the side of the road provided by the city.)
As i said before this is the reality of the puna district on the big island. Hilo has running water, but no sidewalks. Most people can't afford to buy a decent house in hilo, which is why they look for places in puna, the people who do live in hilo are mostly elderly people who bought their houses back in the 50's or 60's. Or children who have inherited their parents houses.

Hawaii is behind the mainland as it did not recieve statehood until 1959! It seems stuck in that era and the new generation of hawaiians are holding fast to their culture which is good but it means don't expect big changes anytime soon.

To adress ppl who are accusing me of bashing Hawaii inorder to discourage ppl from moving to these beautiful islands, i have no secret agenda of keeping these islands all to myself. i was not born nor raised here and have little attachment to these islands, i do however have pity on people of hawaiian decent who have little say on what will happen in the future as their islands become overrun, i hope they don't all end up looking like Oahu.

As for me, my boyfriend is the best man i've ever met (aside from my father) and i hope he decides to embark on a new adventure with me, we don't necessarily have to move back to my hometown but perhaps to a new place where we can both be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii