Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2010, 08:47 AM

28 posts, read 126,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
As I've posted previously: To come to Hawaii during the economic down turn you either have to have a in-demand professional degree or be retired and have your own money.

There are NO other options, believe it!
What do you mean?? My sister her broyfriend and kids moved there, got on welfare and foodstamps...and claims to have free medical....what is that all about...

Old 01-14-2010, 09:07 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,036,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemosmom View Post
What do you mean?? My sister her broyfriend and kids moved there, got on welfare and foodstamps...and claims to have free medical....what is that all about...
I guess I never considered the welfare option; I didn't know people moved to be on the dole.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:22 AM

45 posts, read 135,313 times
Balad, I am unfamiliar with the term 'dole'. Could you translate?

Thanx!

Old 01-14-2010, 09:25 AM

On assistance (welfare).

Old 01-15-2010, 09:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,291 times
I grew up in Hawaii and my family moved back to the mainland when I was 11 yrs old. I have always, always, missed the Islands. Now that I am older I still miss my home. I know that things have changed drastically, and like everyone says here on the forum, it is tough to live there, but you know what, I live in Boston MA and it's tought to live here too, it is so expensive, I've been working in the financial industry for longer than I can remember, but I still would rather struggle and live somewhere where there is beauty, warmth, great people. Right now I would like to be sitting on the beach, instead of freezing my butt off. I am seriously considering moving back! Nothing like it!

Old 01-15-2010, 11:24 AM
zoa

60 posts, read 491,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
As I've posted previously: To come to Hawaii during the economic down turn you either have to have a in-demand professional degree or be retired and have your own money.

There are NO other options, believe it!

I still so disagree with your statement Balad.... on so many levels.

Jobs are to be had - if one is willing to adapt what they expect from Hawaii. Paradise is paradise in the mind... not in the place you live.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoa View Post
I still so disagree with your statement Balad.... on so many levels.

Jobs are to be had - if one is willing to adapt what they expect from Hawaii. Paradise is paradise in the mind... not in the place you live.
It's all about opinions; your idea of paradise and mine must differ.

Hawaii is a wonderful place but it's hard to remember when you earn minimum wage and live in a roach infested appartment; as many do

Let's not forget that economic conditions on Oahu and on the other islands are like night and day.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:52 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,300,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemosmom View Post
I believe that many of the harsh attitudes towards newcomers is fueled by this type of behavior.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:16 AM

155 posts, read 544,952 times
Originally Posted by Nemosmom

My sister her broyfriend and kids moved there, got on welfare and foodstamps...and claims to have free medical....what is that all about...
I believe that many of the harsh attitudes towards newcomers is fueled by this type of behavior.

I totally agree with Tyvin. Add to that... people from the mainland come to Hawai'i and get jobs, and there are no jobs left for the locals. It's been going on for centuries. Think of the movie "Dancing With Wolves" with Kevin Costner. White man kicked native Americans off their land. It adds to the harsh attitudes.

Europeans did it all over the world, India, Africa, Australia, U.S. Europeans invaded, conquered, took over the land.

Think of this... how many people in the southwest US have anger towards illegal Mexicans? They come up from Mexico, and are willing to work for $5/hour. People who have lived in Cali, Nevada, AZ, New Mexico & Texas - they can no longer find jobs for $20/hour. They have alot of anger towards Mexicans.

It's similar here. That's the best comparison I can make. Again, I'm just trying to explain why things are the way they are. I understand why they're angry.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:03 AM

28 posts, read 126,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
And it should be fueled. It angers myself that so many people out there take advantage of the system. And I have read up on the Hawaiin lifestyle, and it can only continue to hurt the locals, when these dream seekers move to "PARADISE" but bring nothing with them to offer but their hand out...it should bring forth anger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii