Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 11:45 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,298,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
A bit off topic, but the definition of a hate crime is when the victim is targeted because of their race, or the criminal is motivated because of a racial bias.

In the case you are citing, even though there were racial slurs used during the attack, the incident was sparked because of the traffic accident. That is, while the attackers may have committed a crime of violence, they would likely have done so if it had been anyone in the other car. They should be charged for the attack, but not for a hate crime. Hate crime would have been if they had gone out hunting for someone - anyone of a particular race, with the intent to hurt them just because they were that race.

The designation of hate crime should be used where appropriate and real, otherwise it gets diluted.
The hate was due to the color of the people's skin. Had they been other than "White" the incident would not have gone down like it did. The accident was inconvenient and what followed was a crime; they were targeted with violence because of their race. The white elephant in the room still rears its head at times. All in all, I believe that we in Hawaii are getting along very well. As the generations age, wisdom and tolerance prevail.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:07 AM

4 posts, read 13,899 times
My cousins spent the holiday in Hawaii and they had a great time.They have no racism experienced there though the are white.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:01 PM

664 posts, read 1,946,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
Remember the service member and his wife that were beaten severely on Oahu about 2 years ago during a fender bender? The Hawaiian couple that beat them so badly continually called them Haoles during the attack.

The Hawaian couple were charged in the assualt but the state declined to prosocute them for a hate crime...

This is just one of many, Hawaii wide.
Suit filed over notorious beating | starbulletin.com | News | /2008/03/13/

Interesting case Balad and I do remember hearing about. This was the latest I could find on it. Hate crime or not these two got off with VERY light sentances. The older guy got 5 years and the teenager one year at a youth facility. For beating 2 people to a pulp in front of thier toddler is awful. I don't know if it's Hawaii or they had good lawyers but their sentances were very light.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:38 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,033,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,000Lakes View Post
Suit filed over notorious beating | starbulletin.com | News | /2008/03/13/

Interesting case Balad and I do remember hearing about. This was the latest I could find on it. Hate crime or not these two got off with VERY light sentances. The older guy got 5 years and the teenager one year at a youth facility. For beating 2 people to a pulp in front of thier toddler is awful. I don't know if it's Hawaii or they had good lawyers but their sentances were very light.
Thanks for the link to the article; it's been a while since I read it.

As I've mentioned before I think the sentencing was BS. That is the reason for my observation that I think weak law enforcement and sentencing here in Hawaii just fuels this problem and others. Don't get me going about hit and run drivers in Hawaii...

Old 01-04-2010, 07:59 PM

140 posts, read 407,436 times
starbulletin.com | News | /2007/02/24/

also here's a link on why the prosecutor didn't file a 'hate crime'. Calico Salsa was on point. i also remember hearing stories about the military wife hitting the boy first. granted i don't think it warranted a beating.

as far as racism goes, it does exist. a lot of white ppl don't like being here because they feel they are the minority. but there is also racism between races, not just whites. i could see someone saying 'f'n flip' (referring to Filipinos) as well. locals don't particually take to micronesians as well.

but since OP is going to school, i don't think it'll really affect him. just be careful and keep ur eyes open.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:11 PM

820 posts, read 3,034,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
The hate was due to the color of the people's skin. Had they been other than "White" the incident would not have gone down like it did. The accident was inconvenient and what followed was a crime; they were targeted with violence because of their race. The white elephant in the room still rears its head at times. All in all, I believe that we in Hawaii are getting along very well. As the generations age, wisdom and tolerance prevail.
I have to disagree, but then really neither of us knows, since we are just speculating. My reason for disagreeing is because I just read the last link posted about the incident (in the post before mine by mokeanne).

In that article, it shows that the family has a history of violence, with one incident highlighted where the father has badly beaten his own son. I'm going to speculate it wasn't an isolated incident, just the only one on record. I'm also going to speculate that the son might be prone to acts of violence with his school mates.

People with that much violence in their lives aren't just targeting by race. They are going after everyone, including their own family. They might use one excuse or another - the accident, race, or gosh knows whatever comes to mind - but really of course it is all much deeper.

Yes indeed there is racism here and everywhere. Yes indeed some people are targeted because of their race, and that happens in many ways to all races. But I just don't think this violent family was committing a hate crime. They didn't go out driving around looking for white people to beat up. Or rather they didn't sit in the parking lot waiting for white people to run into their car! Sorry, I guess it's not funny.

Hate-filled people, but not a hate crime per say. The reason I think it is important to differentiate is so that we can be truly aware and react strongly when that really does happen. If every time someone uses a racial slur, they get accused of a hate crime, then when it does happen no one will pay attention. Let's save the appropriate reaction and punishment for when we encounter real racists who take criminal action for that reason alone.

And as the article noted, there is no hate separate crime designation in Hawaii anyway. I believe California has that; not sure about other states.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:12 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,033,556 times
Maybe off topic but anyone who lives in Hawaii knows that compared to other states Hawaii is soft on crime and is lax in enforcing many laws.

I believe that this helps contribute too problems in Hawaii from racism to hit and runs to domestic abuse.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:10 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,298,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
I have to disagree, but then really neither of us knows, since we are just speculating. My reason for disagreeing is because I just read the last link posted about the incident (in the post before mine by mokeanne).

In that article, it shows that the family has a history of violence, with one incident highlighted where the father has badly beaten his own son. I'm going to speculate it wasn't an isolated incident, just the only one on record. I'm also going to speculate that the son might be prone to acts of violence with his school mates.

People with that much violence in their lives aren't just targeting by race. They are going after everyone, including their own family. They might use one excuse or another - the accident, race, or gosh knows whatever comes to mind - but really of course it is all much deeper.

Yes indeed there is racism here and everywhere. Yes indeed some people are targeted because of their race, and that happens in many ways to all races. But I just don't think this violent family was committing a hate crime. They didn't go out driving around looking for white people to beat up. Or rather they didn't sit in the parking lot waiting for white people to run into their car! Sorry, I guess it's not funny.

Hate-filled people, but not a hate crime per say. The reason I think it is important to differentiate is so that we can be truly aware and react strongly when that really does happen. If every time someone uses a racial slur, they get accused of a hate crime, then when it does happen no one will pay attention. Let's save the appropriate reaction and punishment for when we encounter real racists who take criminal action for that reason alone.

And as the article noted, there is no hate separate crime designation in Hawaii anyway. I believe California has that; not sure about other states.
Hawaii has no hate crime laws. I respect your consensus, but I still stand by what I posted a few threads back. I see that in your mind it didn't qualify for a hate crime since there was no intent to search out.
I think that the car accident was a minor part, but that the emotional fury of the altercation ignited into a serious scene of bigotry. You and I will probably never agree on this. But I hope that we can agree that it is getting better.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,810 times
Well, I am orginally from the east coast. I have lived in Kihei on Maui for over a year. I moved here because I married a Hawaiian. I really enjoy this place. There is some racism. I have had a few problems. I would say the most major is we drive the same type of car that almost all the tourist rent when they come here. We parked at the beach in Kahului on day for ten mins and came back and our window had been busted out, and a few things stolen. I have seen a lot of drugs here. Most of the time things are fine as longs as you treat people with respect. I have had many slanders yelled at me just for walking down the road. But I am not going to move for things like that they happen on the mainland all the time, I should know I grew up in the south. All in all im very happy here.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:13 AM

820 posts, read 3,034,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
Hawaii has no hate crime laws. I respect your consensus, but I still stand by what I posted a few threads back. I see that in your mind it didn't qualify for a hate crime since there was no intent to search out.
I think that the car accident was a minor part, but that the emotional fury of the altercation ignited into a serious scene of bigotry. You and I will probably never agree on this. But I hope that we can agree that it is getting better.
Hi tyvin,
Thank you, I certainly respect your viewpoint as well. I do agree that hate might be involved, just saying I don't think the incident would legally qualify as a hate crime, if we had the law in place. You and I would agree that we totally condemn the violence and rage, and and would want so to see that stop.

We would also probably agree that having a hate crime law isn't the absolute and only solution. Yes, definitely improving here, and worth everyone's efforts to continue in ways both large & small. Discourage children from acts of violence. Don't laugh along with groups of adults who joke about violence. Promote peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii