Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 10:18 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,413,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
My point, again, which you TOTALLY missed, is that no amount of "moderation" in cigarettes makes them normal, or natural in the body. Whereas the proteins and carbs that make up foods ARE natural and normal, in moderation, but clearly not when over eaten.

The funny thing is that anyone who tries arguing with that is basically wrong, whatever argument they come up with.

Any food in moderation (unless it has artificial chemicals in it - not all donuts do) is natural to the body.

NOTHING in cigarettes is natural in the body. Seems people just can't read very well here or keep missing that point. Cigs are UNNATURAL. Food is not, but that doesn't make it not dangerous if eaten excessively. Excessive food intake is relative, it depends how many calories you are burning off.

BOTTOM LINE. END OF DISCUSSION.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:21 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Comments in troll bold black.

Quote:
Three donuts was not "too many" for me, because I led an active lifestyle and was constantly burning the calories off.

The original question asked about three cigarettes or three donuts - all other things equal. If you were at equilibrium eating three donuts the new situation is you'd be eating six donuts (the three you were burning off plus the three new ones).

No because I said too much of anything is bad for you. One half a cigarette is bad for you, but I would ALSO define five donuts, and the other stuff there you mention as "too much" of those foods. In moderation, they are healthy.

Right but a direct comparison of fixed amounts was provided . No opinions of what "moderation" means are necessary. So one puff less less unhealthy than all those other foods but three cigarettes is more unhealthy than three donuts. If that's what you're implying, then it's just a matter of degree.

My point, again, which you TOTALLY missed, is that no amount of "moderation" in cigarettes makes them normal, or natural in the body. Whereas the proteins and carbs that make up foods ARE natural and normal, in moderation, but clearly not when over eaten.

I missed them because "normal" is irrelevant. No one is asking what normal is. The questions aren't asking about "normal", only what is more unhealthy. And, a physician clearly opined the three daily donuts was much more unhealthy than three cigarettes.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:21 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,451,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
I understand that people were trying to fight her hypothetical by adding in their own facts, but what I'm referring to is that for clarity's sake it would have been better to specify the nutrition facts of the donut because some donuts are much worse than others. For all we know the donut could be a super healthy donut (if such a thing exists )
Not only that, she should have set the parameters for activity level and diet. The only thing she specified is that it must be 3 cigs or 3 donuts a day, everything must be equal, and no extra exercising for the donut folks.

If both parties exercise regularly and eat an otherwise healthy diet then the effect of the 3 donuts will not be as severe as some are postulating.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
The funny thing is that anyone who tries arguing with that is basically wrong, whatever argument they come up with.

Any food in moderation (unless it has artificial chemicals in it - not all donuts do) is natural to the body.

NOTHING in cigarettes is natural in the body. Seems people just can't read very well here or keep missing that point. Cigs are UNNATURAL. Food is not, but that doesn't make it not dangerous if eaten excessively. Excessive food intake is relative, it depends how many calories you are burning off.

BOTTOM LINE. END OF DISCUSSION.

Again, we're not discussing moderation. A simple comparison was presented. Black and white. Yes or no.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Comments in troll bold black.
Well I can only speak for my self, and I would say that 3 cigarettes are far less healthy than 3 donuts. Pretty easy to see why, too.

I don't like to think what would have happened to my lungs on 3 cigs a day. 3 donuts a day? Sure, a lot of calories, but I was burning it off, and my health is just fine.

The opening poster did not actually say if you were eating 3 EXCESS donuts a day, which is what you are implying.

And also:

What do I mean by normal?

I mean that food, i.e: carbs, protein, is normal for the body, as it uses it as fuel.

Cigarettes and their poisons, are not normal for the body, because they are not used by the body for anything, and only serve to destroy it.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Again, we're not discussing moderation. A simple comparison was presented. Black and white. Yes or no.

Sorry, but the world doesn't work in black and white.

The answer to the question If you smoked three cigarettes a day vs eating three donuts (1000 calories total) a day? Which is more healthy: A Donut or a Cigarette? (thread title) as DIRECTLY quoted from the OP, is that there is no one size fits all answer to the question.

I was making it rather obvious that cigs are not natural and blatently poisonous to the body, whereas donuts are not.

Another mistake is that people here are assuming that the 3 donuts are excessive donuts for some reason (excess calories), whereas nowhere in the OP was that insinuated, either.

In my case, three donuts is healthier than three cigarettes. It could be different for somebody else. For example, for a diabetic, 3 donuts would clearly be silly, (and so would 3 cigs for that matter) and possibly more dangerous.

Now for the last time, the question is a silly question, it is a black and white structured question looking for a black and white answer, but the fact is, that if you look deeper into the way cigarettes and donuts affect the body, and also take into account the multitude of different people there are, their lifestyles, overall diet, activity, state of health THERE IS NO DEFINITIVE ANSWER.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Not only that, she should have set the parameters for activity level and diet. The only thing she specified is that it must be 3 cigs or 3 donuts a day, everything must be equal, and no extra exercising for the donut folks.

If both parties exercise regularly and eat an otherwise healthy diet then the effect of the 3 donuts will not be as severe as some are postulating.
Would the amount of exercise and diet affect the answer? Would a cigarette be more unhealthy for one person and a donut be more unhealthy for another if the only differences between the people was the amount of exercise and their diet?

The effect of three donuts is the same for someone who exercises or not: 1000 extra calories which will turn to fat. Remember, there is no extra exercising because of the three donuts. If a person was at equilibrium (weight stays the same) by exercising, then the three donuts will throw the equilibrium off and they'll gain weight. Same for someone who was at equilibrium and not exercising.

Conclusion: The donut is more unhealthy regardless of the amount of exercising and diet a person has.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
The opening poster did not actually say if you were eating 3 EXCESS donuts a day, which is what you are implying.
Three additional donuts a day. Yes, excess, added to what they were normally eating. That's what the original poster was asking. Now, does that affect your opinion?

Old 01-31-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
What do I mean by normal?

I mean that food, i.e: carbs, protein, is normal for the body, as it uses it as fuel.

Cigarettes and their poisons, are not normal for the body, because they are not used by the body for anything, and only serve to destroy it.
No one is arguing this. You're 100% correct but it is completely irrelevant to the original question.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Would the amount of exercise and diet affect the answer? Would a cigarette be more unhealthy for one person and a donut be more unhealthy for another if the only differences between the people was the amount of exercise and their diet?

The effect of three donuts is the same for someone who exercises or not: 1000 extra calories which will turn to fat. Remember, there is no extra exercising because of the three donuts. If a person was at equilibrium (weight stays the same) by exercising, then the three donuts will throw the equilibrium off and they'll gain weight. Same for someone who was at equilibrium and not exercising.

Conclusion: The donut is more unhealthy regardless of the amount of exercising and diet a person has.

From the OP:

If you smoked three cigarettes a day vs eating three donuts (1000 calories total) a day?

Eating an extra 1000 calories a day will cause you to put on weight quite rapidly (remember all things being equal - no extra exercising to burn off the extra calories).

Will three cigarettes significantly increase your risk of lung cancer or emphysema?

The OP is also making the mistake of assuming their "three donuts" are 1000 EXTRA calories. Why would they necessarily be extra though? Three donuts is three donuts. That's what the question says, in red.

Then, there is the assumption that somehow these three donuts will be 1000 extra calories (in blue). But why can't someone eat three donuts a day and not have those be extra calories?

Do you finally understand that the question is faulty?

And also, the black and white "Conclusion: The donut is more unhealthy regardless of the amount of exercising and diet a person has" is utterly wrong, and in my case I can even prove it's wrong. Why? Because there is no BLACK AND WHITE ANSWER to the already faulty question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness