Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 10:19 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,907,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Sugar is sugar..doesn't matter if it's glucose, fructose, lactose or sucrose...if it's ends I 'ose' it's sugar and your body reacts the same way.
No it isn't and no it doesn't.

Each of those sugars are different and your body metabolizes them differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 11:11 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
No it isn't and no it doesn't.

Each of those sugars are different and your body metabolizes them differently.
Yep. I think some people confuse the quest to lose weight, and the quest to eat healthy.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-13-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yep. I think some people confuse the quest to lose weight, and the quest to eat healthy.
Although no sugar is really healthy to eat once it is processed out of the real food it was packaged in originally.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:43 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,913 times
Can someone please answer this question simply and succinctly?

Should people freak out and avoid apples, bananas and oranges because of their "sugars"?? To me, it seems ridonkulous to do so. It irks me to no end when a fat person says, I avoid fruit because it has sugars. Well, if you had been eating fruit all this time instead of donuts, pies and cookies, maybe you wouldn't be so fat as to now have to state that you're being all strict and are now afraid of God's sugars!!

I'm a bit cranky today, sorry!

Old 04-13-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Can someone please answer this question simply and succinctly?

Should people freak out and avoid apples, bananas and oranges because of their "sugars"?? To me, it seems ridonkulous to do so. It irks me to no end when a fat person says, I avoid fruit because it has sugars. Well, if you had been eating fruit all this time instead of donuts, pies and cookies, maybe you wouldn't be so fat as to now have to state that you're being all strict and are now afraid of God's sugars!!

I'm a bit cranky today, sorry!
There is no reason to avoid fruit and every reason to eat it. The sugar in fruit is bound with fiber. It doesn't enter your blood stream in a quick manner the way processed sugar does. The fiber in fruit has many health benefits and the majority of people don't get nearly enough fiber in the first place.

Fruits are also sources of many essential nutrients of which many people don't consume enough including potassium, vitamin C, and folate. Not to mention the cancer-fighting phytochemical antioxidants contained in all fruits.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:12 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
You don't need to eat "sugar" (white cane sugar, HFCS, beet sugar) in order to gain weight or develop diabetes. I knew a fellow who ate 4 cups of "natural" rice daily, weighed over 400 lbs, and was diabetic by age 40. Some of my own relatives developed diabetes and became very much overweight, just by eating potatoes, bread, pasta, and cereals...and no dessert.

Your body may metabolize these carbs differently than pure "sugar", I dunno. Seems to me that glucose is glucose. If your pancreas has to produce insulin to handle it, it's not good for you.

There's altogether too much smugness amongst those who think that whole grains and fruit and dairy are "good for you". Maybe in small amounts. Seems the best way to be true to yourself and your health, is to stop parroting what "they" say you should eat, and use your own sense. Cut out the cereal, the pasta, the bread, the potatoes, the bagels and the skim milk (I raise pigs, and skim milk makes 'em fat!). If you are overweight and just can't seem to drop those last 30-40 lbs, it's time to start tuning out the talking heads on TV who represent the $billion food industry!

Old 04-13-2016, 12:16 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Wow; I eat candy because it tastes good and makes me happy... We all gotta go sometime? Some people seem determined to eliminate every pleasure from life just to live a few years longer in the nursing home...

Old 04-13-2016, 12:30 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
I prefer to stop the candy and have a healthier mouth etc until my end. I've done too much candy all my life. I don't miss it for a second. Once one realizes the damage....it's easy to let it go. Cancer cells love sugar environment.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:34 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
To each his own, but I'd rather enjoy life while I'm here. We'll none of us get out of this alive, no matter what we do.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:41 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,143,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan_505 View Post
Has anyone else cut out all sugars from their diet except the sugars found it fruits, vegetables and dairy?

I got my blood work results recently and found my cholesterol and triglycerides were a little too high. I went over my usual diet and found I was consuming way too much sugar. Two teaspoons in both my mornings coffees, a tablespoon in my oatmeal, bread and ketchup with my lunch and then another two teaspoons in my tea and a treat after dinner! I think I was having around 80-100g of sugar a day!

Since the weekend I have cut back to zero sugar in my coffee in the morning and at night I have only one teaspoon in my tea and every second night I have a few blocks of dark chocolate. So i'm trying to stick to about 12-15g of added sugar a day.

Is this a reasonable amount or should I cut it out all together? I know it's probably best to cut it all out but I do really enjoy have a few blocks of chocolate every now and then.
Look up intermittent fasting. It has helped me reduce my PP sugar level from 130 to 90.
Note: I am not a doctor, and YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness