Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 01:53 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
The only time it ever felt really awkward to me was when the ob/gyn's nurse was his wife. I don't know why but just knowing that made it awkward.
wow, very interesting: I remember back many years ago, maybe 200 or so, when I was still seeing an Gyn I had one I just loved. He was really into his 60s and his wife was his nurse. Neither of them were much over 5 ft tall and I am 5ft 9 or was then. They were so cute together. She would hand me the bottle for a specimen and because it was a old building the restrooms were down a hall. Instead of just having me bring the specimen back she gave me a little basket with a top and flowers to carry it in. I was sad, when they retired shortly after.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:04 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
When a guy has to have the "magic finger whistle stop tour", small fingers are much appreciated.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:32 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Both my kids were delivered by a male OB/GYN. After he retired I began seeing a woman in the group. She did my hysterectomy. Had no problem with either one. They were both wonderful doctors.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:46 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
My very first GYN back in the 60's was a female. ALL my friends recommended her to me. She was in her 60's back then, and had pictures all over the waiting room of her graduating class. Dr. Anna (German) was the ONLY woman in her class from what I could guess must have been the early 1930's?

The OB who deliver my daughters in late 70's and early 80's was an older man who very much went against modern medicine even for those days. He fought for me against hospital policies and we were on the same page. That he was a male made no difference to me since he respected my views.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:36 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
I have a friend who was seeing a gyno. It was a new guy in the practice that she hadn't seen before. I guess he was working to be friendly in a new practice. But he was in the middle of the most intimate part of the examination, and he says, "I know you! You were in may college class!"

She barely remembered him and he would not have known her in "that way" anyhow. He didn't seem to be aware of his faus pas. She asked not to have him again as a physician.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:42 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
I don't care one way or the other. It's about personality and knowledge more than gender. I've had dozens over the years and only had one male doctor I felt uncomfortable with, so I dropped him.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:53 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,051 times
The good news is that these days, except perhaps for emergency situations, everyone can choose their doctor. Folks in rural areas might need to drive a bit to exercise their options but if gender is an important criteria then that's what you do. Everyone, male and female, should go to whoever it is they are comfortable with.

As a guy I am more comfortable with male doctors because I feel they better relate to my male issues than will a female doctor. For example, a male doctor is also subject to having prostate and testicular exams and as such understands the emotional side of being the patient in those situations. To the female doctor that understanding is only theoretical.

Where I have a bit of a beef is men generally have no choice but to receive intimate care from female nurses & techs. My urologist is part of a very large practice and after more than 11 years with a couple dozen cystoscopies and a year's worth of bladder cancer treatments done via catheter, I have never seen a single male nurse or tech there. The RN's and NP's I have dealt with have all been incredibly professional and respectful and as such I have been OK with the situation but most of the patients are male and not every guy is OK with such arrangements. Many of those men just don't go to the doctor as a result, and sometimes they pay a high price for that choice.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:55 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyneJulia View Post
I understand it's personal choice. In my case it was my rear so I guess not really "female stuff" and I doubt a woman would know any better than a man lol.
I had what I suspect is the same "issue" several years ago and went to an urgent care as it was after hours.... Unfortunately, there is NO dignified way to do that exam, whether the doctor is male or female, although mine that day was male.....

didn't bother me in the least.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
Back when I was in my 20's I had a male OB/Gyn named Dr. Good. He was a very handsome doctor. He was also competent which of course was most important. He also had a very active sense of humor. When in the exam room, and lying down on the table, he had a poster directly above on the ceiling that depicted a reclining black panther and the words "trust me". I almost fell off the table from laughing so hard the first time I saw it.

Over the years I have had male and female doctors. My husband and I actually go to the same doctor now who is a female but we actually see a FNP-C in the doctor's office who we absolutely love. I agree that gender is secondary to experience and competence.

the first part of your post brought to mind a Saturday Night Live skit from probably 30 years ago, where Mel Gibson played a gyno whose waiting room was always packed full of ladies with made up or imaginary issues.... This was long before we all realized how crazy he is.......

Old 06-29-2016, 04:11 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,640,250 times
I have nothing against male doctors and have had a few over the years, but my preference is a female OB/Gyn.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:47 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you are right; apparently it is a law, when a male doctor examines a female,
Site the law. Ohh that's right , there is none! There is policy though for how to conduct patient exams.
Please feel free though to find the law. I am all about being educated on medical procedures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.