Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 10:50 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
Don't people use the "patch" anymore? I would think it might actually be safer than e-cigs since there are problems with those, as well.
I'm sure some people use patches but they don't help everyone who is trying to quit. E-cigs aren't dangerous, the pharmaceutical industry has been trying to get control over the production and distribution of them (via prescription) for years, they are the ones making claims that they are unsafe, but think about what they are. A battery heats a small coil which vaporizes the liquid (not smoke). The liquid is composed of vegetable glycerin and propylene glycol (not ethylene glycol which is anti-freeze). Propylene glycol has been used for 50 years in nebulizers (medical inhalers for asthma). The liquid in an e-cig probably has nicotine but not all e-cig users use nicotine. They also usually contain food flavorings, the same grade that are added to cupcakes and other foods.

A user inhales the vapor and it simulates smoking and apparently for many people that is enough to wean them off cigarettes, but for those who can't quit the e-cig it is infinitely safer than a traditional cigarette. In Great Britain the Royal College of Physicians recommends that smokers switch from traditional cigarettes to e-cigs. Unfortunately the FDA yielded to the pressure of big pharma and tobacco companies and made no such recommendation.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:34 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,340,243 times
Quote:
Don't people use the "patch" anymore? I would think it might actually be safer than e-cigs since there are problems with those, as well.
Ecigs are just as safe as using the patch. The trouble with patches, they do not mimic the 'habit' of smoking. Ecigs give us that ability to mimic the habit that we have developed over many, many years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibay View Post
The OP's wife has to make this decision on her own but suggesting that she try the e-cigs might be a good place to start. Smoking is as much an oral fixation as it is a chemical dependence. The e-cig, while not developed for that reason, does help people to quit smoking because it allows the oral fixation to be satisfied and that's a huge part of the addiction. I think it's easier to rid oneself of the addiction in stages, first the nicotine, then the oral fixation.
They actually were developed for that reason. The man that created them did so to help him and his father quit smoking and knew that he needed to mimic the act of smoking. Hon Lik https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hon_Lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Per the bolded --- Not true

Marijuana and Lung Health | American Lung Association

There are other links out there that say the same thing.
I do not trust anything the ALA puts out. After seeing the smear campaign they have done over anything that goes against the pharma companies and their profits. There is big money in people getting sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I hope she gets motivated to try to quit soon. I quit 2 years ago after a long habit. Didn't really realize how bad it was for me until I quit. The Nicotine patches worked for me, though I quit those (after forgetting to put one on before a long workday) Shes still young and putting those awful things down NOW could be a life saver. I am standing here sending positive vibes to you and family man, Her quality of life could improve by leaps and bounds. Its super challenging, And side effects like weight gain, insomnia etc are often real but these pale in comparison to the risk of continuing, and can be dealt with. I can say the patches for me while using them were really great. Weird dreams, some sleep disturbances but nothing extreme.

I don't think vaping is the answer either-We don't know the long term effects yet. What is in all those liquids with the crazy flavors? We don't really know. Mankind has long had a love affair with tobacco, and alcohol too. No tobacco is best I think. it still damages lung tissue. The chemicals added make this 100 times worse. All the best OP.
Vaping has been around for nearly 10 years. No vaper has died from vaping. Millions of vapers have reported increase in lung function, some have been able to stop using their inhalers.

2Sleepy in the next couple of quotes down vvv tells you exactly what is in e-liquid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Setting fire to the tobacco is what is making people so sick. Think about this; people die in fires from smoke inhalation. When you smoke you are slowly killing yourself by inhaling that smoke, just slowly!

When I wanted to quit I imagined the cigarette was a food I've hated all my life. Doing that helped a lot! I hate peas, so my cigarettes became peas.

I've heard doctors are now advising some asthma patients to use a 0mg ecig. The liquid helps open up the airways! Most liquid consists of propylene glycol or vegetable glycerin, or both, food grade flavoring and varying amounts of nicotine or no nicotine.
Yes, doctors are slowly coming around as they see their patients getting healthier while using the ecig. Although, I've not heard that about them suggesting ecigs to never smokers. Please source your link to that info. I would love to read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm sure some people use patches but they don't help everyone who is trying to quit. E-cigs aren't dangerous, the pharmaceutical industry has been trying to get control over the production and distribution of them (via prescription) for years, they are the ones making claims that they are unsafe, but think about what they are. A battery heats a small coil which vaporizes the liquid (not smoke). The liquid is composed of vegetable glycerin and propylene glycol (not ethylene glycol which is anti-freeze). Propylene glycol has been used for 50 years in nebulizers (medical inhalers for asthma). The liquid in an e-cig probably has nicotine but not all e-cig users use nicotine. They also usually contain food flavorings, the same grade that are added to cupcakes and other foods.

A user inhales the vapor and it simulates smoking and apparently for many people that is enough to wean them off cigarettes, but for those who can't quit the e-cig it is infinitely safer than a traditional cigarette. In Great Britain the Royal College of Physicians recommends that smokers switch from traditional cigarettes to e-cigs. Unfortunately the FDA yielded to the pressure of big pharma and tobacco companies and made no such recommendation.
I was just getting ready to post a link to the RCP

Hi!!!! From one vape advocate to another!

We have several lawsuits filed trying to change the deeming. What the FDA has done has basically protected the tobacco industry. Their profits have gone way down since millions of smokers no longer buy their product.

Smokers have figured out a way to get nic in a 95-99% safer manner. Nic is not the bad seed in the equation. It is the burning of the chemical cocktail 'tobacco' in cigs, and fire safety paper they are wrapped in, that create the tar that coats the lungs.

Sorry but this is my passion. Ecigs helped me quit a habit, I've tried several FDA approved methods to quit smoking, and never thought I would ever stop. I smoked for over 30 years and tried numerous times to quit unsuccessfully. In October I will celebrate 4 years smoke free.

The last 6 - 7 years as a smoker, I would contract bronchitis at least once a year. Since I've discovered vaping, I've not gotten it once. I also haven't even gotten a cold in all this time.

Vaping works.

Last edited by Robino1; 07-05-2016 at 06:44 AM..

Old 07-05-2016, 07:42 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
My ex GF and I would visit her mom at the retirement home, and when we would be sitting with her on the lanai, here would come out these older ladies dragging their oxygen tanks. What would shock me was that they would remove the mask and light up a cigarette ! It was as if they were so damn addicted that they couldn't quit the thing that was killing them in the first place.

So glad I never smoked in my life nor do my two sons.

Don
Equivocating addictions will make you comprehend this better, addictions are addictions are addictions!

Comparably, you might see someone who has been banged up good in 2-3 near-fatal car accidents, and you'd think, after all that pain and suffering, that person would finally give up his car addiction!

Let's not forget that tobacco is first and foremost an herb. We're talking unadulterated tobacco. And, you can also drink it for the nicotine effect as well, no damage to the lungs. That's what the South American Indians did, they brewed it like tea, drank it. Only problem they'd brew it so strong it would create hallucinations!

If I was the OP I'd, first of all, never use the word quit, as you wouldn't do that with anyone with any other addiction. Best advice is to get her to cut down! Smoke half cigarettes.

That's how I cut down, after smoking for 50 years, and being diagnosed with COPD, by smoking halves, and then to thirds, and now I'm down to a half-pack a day, and I'm staying put with that! If I should miss the inevitable nuclear holocaust, the last great show in Earth, so be it!

Old 07-05-2016, 08:11 AM

706 posts, read 758,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Your the one who doesn't "get it"

There is no "safe" tobacco, your organic tobacco might as well be organic rat poison....

Burning tobacco, ANY tobacco generates dozens of carcinogens with or without additives or pesticides...

You aren't advocating a "safer product"....there is no such thing when discussing tobacco
Well, thankfully, I'm smarter than that, and I *do* know that eliminating the 500+ chemicals and additives, and eliminating the synthetic pesticides makes for a safer product.

Quote:
It really doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that smoking tobacco, ANY tobacco is hazardous to one's health and the ONLY way to mitigate the health risks is to not smoke AT ALL
AGAIN....The OP's wife isn't going to be quitting anytime soon, so I was just trying to give him ideas of how he can help her cut down and switch to something that isn't so offensive. Obviously, this point hasn't gotten through to some of you.

This is NOT a thread about the dangers of smoking, and I wish you people would stop acting like it is that kind of thread. It's one person's efforts to help his wife, who clearly doesn't want to quit smoking. Why is that so hard for some people to understand?

Old 07-05-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post

Thank you for explaining that.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:28 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Well, thankfully, I'm smarter than that, and I *do* know that eliminating the 500+ chemicals and additives, and eliminating the synthetic pesticides makes for a safer product.

AGAIN....The OP's wife isn't going to be quitting anytime soon, so I was just trying to give him ideas of how he can help her cut down and switch to something that isn't so offensive. Obviously, this point hasn't gotten through to some of you.

This is NOT a thread about the dangers of smoking, and I wish you people would stop acting like it is that kind of thread. It's one person's efforts to help his wife, who clearly doesn't want to quit smoking. Why is that so hard for some people to understand?
The reason OP is concerned about his wife is because of the dangers of smoking.

Your insistence that organic tobacco is safer does not make it true, and it is idiotic to suggest that OP's wife just change tobacco products.

The science says organic tobacco is not safer; it produces carcinogens when burned, just like non-organic tobacco. That is why the label has to clearly state that organic tobacco is not safer.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:38 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,570 times
I actually started smoking last year, at age 40. Never had in my entire life smoked anything until last year. I actually like it, and I wouldn't mind if it killed me right now.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The reason OP is concerned about his wife is because of the dangers of smoking.

Your insistence that organic tobacco is safer does not make it true, and it is idiotic to suggest that OP's wife just change tobacco products.
She's also not going to quit anytime soon. Did you not catch that part?

Quote:
The science says organic tobacco is not safer; it produces carcinogens when burned, just like non-organic tobacco. That is why the label has to clearly state that organic tobacco is not safer.
Wow. How dense can some people be? Do you not know anything about synthetic pesticides and chemical additives?

Oh well. You guys go on thinking that everything is equal. It doesn't bother me one bit.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:57 AM

Well, at any rate---I've said what I had to say to the OP. I wish him luck with his situation and hope that his wife feels better soon.

I won't be responding to anymore troll-like comments, since there's really nothing left to say.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:17 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
She's also not going to quit anytime soon. Did you not catch that part?

Wow. How dense can some people be? Do you not know anything about synthetic pesticides and chemical additives?

Oh well. You guys go on thinking that everything is equal. It doesn't bother me one bit.
It does not matter that the additives and pesticides are not there. Just the plain tobacco itself, cured, then burned, still makes carcinogens. It is still dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness