Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2018, 12:09 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,494,854 times

Advertisements

Maybe when this is all shown to work it will be covered by insurance?

Can you imagine the cost of insurance if insurance paid for everything, proven or not?

And yes, I get what you are talking about. If these procedures were proven to work, they would be covered by insurance. Why aren't the providers trying to get them approved so that insurance will pay?

Old 08-12-2018, 12:31 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post

Can you imagine the cost of insurance if insurance paid for everything, proven or not?

And yes, I get what you are talking about. If these procedures were proven to work, they would be covered by insurance. Why aren't the providers trying to get them approved so that insurance will pay?
It's shown to work but pharma is resisting it as people will do less surgeries once they work with PRP/Stem Cells... Surgery and drugs is HUGE business, don't you see that? It's so clear to me...

Old 08-12-2018, 12:32 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Insurances job is to pay as little as possible, with the best results. They are a business.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-12-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It's shown to work but pharma is resisting it as people will do less surgeries once they work with PRP/Stem Cells... Surgery and drugs is HUGE business, don't you see that? It's so clear to me...
No, I don't see conspiracy theories everywhere I look. What does pharma have to do with insurance paying for surgery??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Insurances job is to pay as little as possible, with the best results. They are a business.
Agreed. If these alternative methods worked (and this is NOT the alternative medicine forum), insurance would gladly pay for it since the quoted prices are so much lower than surgery.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
No, I don't see conspiracy theories everywhere I look.
It's not conspiracy it's common sense. But bottom line is money and I'm sure you have plenty of surgeons in FL who have added PRP/Stem Cells to their medical practices. Surgeries give so many other industries $$$....if that's conspiracy then so be it. Many are left with damage from drugs and surgeries.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
It's not conspiracy it's common sense.
Then why don't alternative doctors try to get these procedures approved? Because big pharma won't allow it? I really don't buy that.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:14 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
From the link:

"Perhaps the most common sentiment regarding platelet-rich plasma (PRP), however, is that it simply should not be marketed as a miracle drug.

“'The way it is making news right now is as a cure-all for everything, which is just not reasonable,' Freddie H. Fu, MD, DSc, DPs(Hon), Orthopaedics Today Europe Editorial Board member, said.

Although other clinicians in his office use PRP to treat tendonitis and some muscle injuries, Fu said he does not use PRP in his sports medicine practice."
The above perfectly captures the variability of thinking out there on how promising (or not) these therapies are. Freddie Fu is one of the foremost Orthopedic experts in the World and Chair of the Ortho Dept at The University of Pittsburgh, which is one of the best Academic training departments there is. To say he knows his stuff would be an understatement. And yet, he apparently has other faculty colleagues who do use PRP in some situations.

Quote:
Exactly. If the research and data really indicates these therapies work, then they will become part of the standard of care. It's my understanding that current research does not support that.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 08-12-2018 at 01:41 PM..

Old 08-12-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Then why don't alternative doctors try to get these procedures approved? Because big pharma won't allow it? I really don't buy that.
Number one, many alternative doctors like naturopaths etc are not affiliated with pharma. And sadly there are NOT many integrative MD's in the U.S or world for that matter.

Bottom line SHOULD BE, if a person is so enthralled with surgery and drugs, they them go at it.

People who want PRP/Stem Cells vs surgery/drugs, they should have that option and insurance world and pharma need to acknowledge that.

Insurance pays for cortisone and HA injections and they do nothing.. cortisone more harm than good.

Priorities are not for the good of the people NOW. WHether that will change before I'm gone hard to know. I still may go for PRP with some savings I have for my end of life.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:24 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:
Please list all the studies where "it's shown to work"

I don't know who "pharma" is but he/she has no control over this procedure and even IF PRP/stem cells were shown to work, they aren't going to be the miracle you seem to think they will be...

There is no "regrowing" of articular cartilage...once its gone its gone...and NO study on PRP/Stem cells has ever shown or claimed anything different..

Population is continuing to age, knee arthritis is more prevalent than ever, only way knee replacement surgery is going is UP

Old 08-12-2018, 02:02 PM

I just did a search: Are orthopedic surgeons now offering PRP and Stem Cells and amazing how many now are:

PRP & Stem Cell Therapy Colorado Springs | Office of Brad D. Dresher MD

Knee and Hip - Sarasota Orthopedic Surgeon, PRP, Stem Cell Transplants - Dr. William Bennett

https://www.prweb.com/releases/2017-...eb14785992.htm

https://www.orthoknox.com/orthopedic...ll-injections/

The above is just a few, I can only imagine how many orotho MD's are now offering this work.

BD: Maybe some day you will "buy" into this work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness