Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 01:59 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times

Advertisements

So you visit your Doctor, he runs all kinds of test on you, and he finds out there's one food you've been eating that is causing your problem, and he tells you to stop eating that food, permanently, for the sake of your health.

And this may be some type of food you just can't live without. What food would that be that would send you into a long crying binge?

For me, it's cake with rich frosting. I have a piece of cake 365 days of the year, after dinner, and if my Dr. told me I couldn't eat cake anymore, I might have to call the Suicide Prevention Hotline!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 05:28 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,054,839 times
Salt. Luckily my BP is low.

Old 11-22-2018, 05:33 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,128,829 times
Ditto on the salt.

Old 11-22-2018, 05:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
So you visit your Doctor, he runs all kinds of test on you, and he finds out there's one food you've been eating that is causing your problem, and he tells you to stop eating that food, permanently, for the sake of your health.

And this may be some type of food you just can't live without. What food would that be that would send you into a long crying binge?

For me, it's cake with rich frosting. I have a piece of cake 365 days of the year, after dinner, and if my Dr. told me I couldn't eat cake anymore, I might have to call the Suicide Prevention Hotline!
Well it would depend on how much it is hurting my health. If we are talking life and death or even life with constant pain, that is one thing. If you are talking jut to feel a little better that is another Knowing my personality and knowing I am not very self disciplined I would probably just cut back and not give it up completely. Now what would it be? I have to think: probably cheese would be at the top of my list followed by cold slaw believe it or not. The third thing and it won't surprise many would be my nightly wine.

Old 11-22-2018, 05:49 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,550,990 times
For me it would be things like salty potato chips (high blood pressure). I've stopped smoking completely--been about two months now--but I do sneak a bag of unsalted or lightly salted chips in from time to time. I miss the salt and vinegar chips, but I'm sure one bag every so often wouldn't hurt (I try to convince myself that these doctors are exaggerating sometimes).

Old 11-22-2018, 06:03 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
My wife went through this (over 5 months) while on an antibiotic. She couldn't eat anything "aged", like cheese, and no chocolate. If it hadn't been for the near-death experience that led up to the need for the antibiotics, it would have been much worse. But if you're feeling bad enough to even Consider going to a Dr. (or maybe I'm different, those people are only when I'm on deaths doorstep or need something sewn back on, and I say that being married to one.... who feels the Exact same way as me), you're not going to care about giving up something for the sake of your health.

And salt, it's no biggie to give up. I've an uncle that's salt-free for kidney reasons (causes LOTS of stones), eating with him is no different than eating at home. There are work-arounds.

Old 11-22-2018, 06:42 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
I've already been there, there's nothing you can't give up if your body decides it's poison to you.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:25 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I've already been there, there's nothing you can't give up if your body decides it's poison to you.
Same here. My a1c was one point away from diabetic and my cholesterol was over 200 for the first time in my life. My endocrinologist said he should be putting me on meds for both. I said "give me six months till my next appointment. I can do this with diet and exercise."

I knew it was happening because I ate ice cream just about every day. It was sad and depressing but I stopped eating ice cream. It was May, and summer was coming, and I stopped eating ice cream, do you hear? I went THE ENTIRE SUMMER with no ice cream, right down to Labor Day weekend when I went to my favorite little family-owned, homemade ice cream shop that was only a mile away and got one cup of it. Chocolate almond.

I did it, though. Lost 24 pounds in that six months (wasn't JUST ice cream, added in more salads and an exercise program) and brought both the blood sugar and cholesterol down to normal levels.)

I have some occasionally now, but not every day or even every week anymore.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:37 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
my dr. who is nearly grass fed ...asked me what my diet consisted of (after blood tests results)
im over 50 no medications issues not even reader glasses and can still bench 300lbs and not overweight

I tried to stop eating carbs and sugars over a year ago.....

he asked me how much meat I eat...I said yes... and some healthy fats.
he said keep doing what you are doing - more and more studies coming back...meat and some fats are good for you.... and sugars/carbs cause inflammation... 0f course he said make sure you eat more veggies....

bp is fine cholesterol is fine blood sugars are great …

I have a sweet tooth and love ice cream...… thats the one food I miss the most..

I do eat smoothies with veggie powders since I dont eat veggies much ...and drink lots of water

Old 11-22-2018, 08:56 AM

294 posts, read 219,782 times
When you start to limit or eliminate the unhealthy foods you eat you will discover how much better you can feel, and when you do have some of the bad foods it will be obvious that you are poisoning your body. If all you ever eat is junk food you will never know the difference.
The oil that fried foods are cooked in has cancerous chemicals develop as the oil is reheated over and over.
There are also many nasty chemicals used to extract vegetable oils when they are being manufactured.
I only have deep fried food a couple times each year and since cutting back on red meat and dairy my migraines have stopped. There is a reason why heart disease, diabetes and obesity are so rampant. If you must eat all that crap don't complain when you get cancer, diabetes or whatever. Numerous recent studies prove that red meat consumption is tied to a huge increase in ischemic strokes in the brain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness