Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 02:21 PM

6,336 posts, read 2,889,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Moderator cut: removed rude comments to poster

Bleach should not be applied to skin.....Ever

Certainly not straight bleach nor diluted for that matter
This site says you can use bleach to cure fungus.

https://www.yellowtoenailscured.com/...oenail-fungus/

I'm a chemist and I've had lots of worse chemicals on my skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Oh no, OP! You should have started treatment sooner. I got a couple of dots of toenail fungus on two toes years ago. They were very small. I went to the primary care doctor immediately. He said, "Just put nail polish on them." I said, "No way! It's gross. I want it GONE." I live in a hot humid climate and always wore tennis shoes. He said, "I'll write you for this prescription antifungal nail polish but it's expensive." I said, "I don't care. If I don't treat it now it will get worse." At the time it was $16/bottle. I put it on my toenails three times a day. After four months it went away. I then wore flip flops a lot and made sure I dried my feet thoroughly after showering. I never got it again. I don't think that will help you OP because the nail polishes only help if you have very mild toenail fungus, though.

I still don't really care about it. I've got lots of worse things to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 11:40 PM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
i just started vinegar twice a day. i'm going to do Vicks vaporub on it at night. i read one guy successfully treated it with alternating daily soaks vinegar one day, and hydrogen peroxide the next day. dont mix them together. use the proper % dilution.
here are a couple links

Tau Topics - The Efficacy of Vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide in Treating Toenail Fungus
https://www.healthline.com/health/ho...toenail-fungus

Old 10-20-2019, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,406 times
I have suffered from toenail fungus for several decades. I attribute it to my days as a caddie, when trudging through the morning dew 5-6 times per week always left me with wet shoes and socks. Perfect environment, eh?

While I have tried some things from time to time, a recent experience suggests to me that there is an approach that will work. At least it has for me.

I use an approximate 50/50 solution of vinegar and Listerine (the Walmart Equate product is much cheaper and works) as a foot bath. When I finish soaking (usually 15-20 minutes per day), I scrape the softened crud from under the front of my nails as much as I can. I also make sure that my cuticles are rubbed back as far as possible. I then apply Lotrimin (again, the Walmart brand is much cheaper and it works) both to the nails, focusing on the tips and rubbing it into the area near the cuticle, and in between my toes, sometimes to most of my foot surfaces.

I used to do this "most" days, but it was difficult to do while I was working. I am now doing it diligently, and I can report the following results:

My left big toe toenail, which used to be the typical yellowed and thickened type associated with this is now totally clear. The other big toe toenail still has some of the thickened, yellowish stuff near the tip, but it is growing in clear. The smaller nails don't seem to be responding as well, but even with some of them there appears to be the desirable pink color at the base of the nail, more on some than on others.

My own sense is that ensuring that the cuticle is removed to the extent possible is what allows the foot bath or ointment (or both) to reach that part of the toe where the nail growth occurs. I only started having meaningful success once I started doing that at least several times a week. Eliminating the infection at the point of nail generation allows a healthy nail to develop, not a persistently infected one. At least that is my theory, and I'm sticking with it.

I really don't care which part of my regimen is working, as long as it keeps going.

One last word is that you do need to be diligent and consistent. This remedy (or any other) doesn't remove the fungus from an infected nail. It just prevents new nail growth from being infected. Consequently, you will have to wait what is probably several months for the infected nail to grow out completely and for it to be replaced by a healthy nail. In my case, I can tell you that by doing it consistently for 4-6 weeks, then seeing the healthy nail begin to show, was enough to motivate me to do this every day, regardless of what else is going on (though I don't think missing an occasional day matters terribly, again because of the slow speed at which nails grow).

Old 10-20-2019, 11:08 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
I had good results of getting rid of my big toe nail fungus by drinking and soaking toe with Pau d'Arco tea...it's a natural anti-fungal herb. You can find the tea online and at places like Walmart...

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/pau-d-arco

Maybe it will work for you, too...good luck...

Old 03-01-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i just started vinegar twice a day. i'm going to do Vicks vaporub on it at night. i read one guy successfully treated it with alternating daily soaks vinegar one day, and hydrogen peroxide the next day. dont mix them together. use the proper % dilution.
here are a couple links

Tau Topics - The Efficacy of Vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide in Treating Toenail Fungus
https://www.healthline.com/health/ho...toenail-fungus

mine is gone now, and has stayed gone, it is now six months later.
the Vicks was fine until we had a bad heat spell, and it was just too damp so i stopped with the VICks.
i alternated daily between diluted vinegar, and plain old black tea bags.
that did the trick.
for vinegar i would soak a piece of gauze, and wrap toe in it, in a small plastic baggie for 15 or 20 minutes. for tea bag hot water on a tea bag, wrap over toe in small platic baggie.

Also washed with soap and water every day. and changed socks 2-3 times a day, and when at home walked around with no shoes or socks to let it air out.

it was on both big toe nails, both have now healed completely and grown back clean and stayed clean.hooray!

i don't like messing with chemicals so that's why i went with vinegar and tea bags. i remember when i was a nursing mom, and kept getting really bad breast infections over and over, and nothing worked and i did not want to stop nursing, and nothing the doctors and phramacists recommended worked at all, finally an "old school" nurse said to use black tea bags soaked in hot water, it was amazing. worked better than anything and i was able to keep nursing. i figure if black tea bags could cure a breast infection, they could cure a toe nail fungus. worked like a charm.

Old 03-04-2020, 12:10 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLHUGHES1962 View Post
Vicks vapor rub worked for me plus helps with dry and cracked feet.
Worked for me too! I buy the generic at Walmart. It's much cheaper than the name brand!

Old 07-06-2020, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
With no results after months of topical treatment, I had my big toenail removed. Really, really painful. Then I had to use the topical treatment as the toenail grew back in again. Messy. The toenail grew back in healthy but somewhat deformed.

Now, eight years later, I see the fungus has returned. Bummer. Bummer. Bummer. I'm not getting that toenail removed again.
I was looking for someone that had this done, how long did it take to grow the nail back. My GP adviced the same thing, but I am very hesitant.

Old 07-18-2023, 10:38 PM

three years later, now 2023, and has not come back or recurred on either foot, on any nails at all.
good news indeed.

Old 07-20-2023, 02:09 PM

126 posts, read 146,890 times
Default Agree with ACV

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Apple cider vinegar. Cover the toenail with vinegar, and bandage it up. Repeat every day till fungus is gone -- every day. Don't miss a day. It may take a few weeks. Be patient. Anyone who says this doesn't work has never tried it. It works.

Try it and report back. Get Braggs apple cider vinegar at the grocery store. There is a lot of info about this, google it.
The ACV worked for me. In addition, I used tea tree oil (applied at night after the ACV soak (soaked for 10-20 minutes every night). I also used this product (coating under /over all toe nail nails) before taking a bath or shower. The product is: Puremedy Fungus Relief Ointment 1 oz (sold on line or some stores - Google it)

It took a year and the toe fungus was gone.

Old 07-21-2023, 09:17 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Make sure and treat all of your footwear.

You can catch/re-catch various foot-infections from your shoes.

Spray you shoes with Lysol, the active-ingredient, Benzalkonium-Chloride, will kill most things that can
cause foot-infections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness