Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 08:40 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,098,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Do you live in my body? Live with a right thigh that is numb? Dead nerves is what I see it as.

I've read plenty of info on the femerol nerve damage done from the Anterior approach surgery and how some surgeons are not doing them due to this issue.
Jam, please be careful. I fear you may be at a higher risk for falling if your thigh is feeling numb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 09:11 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Very sorry to hear this. Reminds me of a former neighbor of mine. She went in for hip surgery and came out an invalid due to a major stroke while in surgery.
Scary, we really take chances when we are put under. Enough die on the table too I've heard say. The more we read of these happenings the more one needs to really think long on especially elective surgeries.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Jam, please be careful. I fear you may be at a higher risk for falling if your thigh is feeling numb.
Thanks Chris, my fear is more falling when I lose balance as I'm pretty unstable from hip job.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:08 AM

14,944 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Scary, we really take chances when we are put under. Enough die on the table too I've heard say. The more we read of these happenings the more one needs to really think long on especially elective surgeries.
That is always the consideration on which the decision to have surgery or not are made; ie, whether the benefits of the surgery outweigh the risks. Most often, the benefits obtained greatly outweigh the risks, though that doesn't mean adverse effects might not happen.

I haven't had all that much surgery, but what I have had has been successful and has improved my life greatly.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:06 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,559,846 times
Quote:
Oh you know all the answers....RARE. At least I'm not gunhoe to cut up my body.

My GSE has kept me from sickness, I'm never sick and thanks to my strong immune system.
you know I love ya Jamin but you also know I'll call you out every time you say this.

I don't know anyone, not anyone is "gunhoe" to cut up their bodies. Yes I totally believe that some times dr's are quick to suggest surgery BUT the vast majority of people want relief from their pain. again, we are not sheep to be lead.
Now my brother 65 just had surgery on his lower back. his was a two year battle with back pain. he tried every thing, alternative medicine, chiropractics, every supplement known to God. we went to a outdoor music concert and before the evening was over he was doubled over in pain and running for the opiod pain killers.

simply put that is not how he wants to spend the next 25 years of his life. so yeah he went in a few weeks ago for surgery.

not completely healed but 200% better

Old 09-06-2019, 09:01 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,558 times
I got severe nerve damage from a knee surgery (CRPS) last year. I don’t blame the doctor or myself because sometimes these things just happen. It’s a risk you take when you have surgery which is why you should consider all pros and cons. I’m still glad I had it because before I couldn’t walk hardly at all. Now I just have to manage my pain but I can walk again. It’s severe, yes, but with meds you cope. Jamin I know you aren’t a fan of meds or doctors but both can help with your issues if you let them.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
you know I love ya Jamin but you also know I'll call you out every time you say this.

I don't know anyone, not anyone is "gunhoe" to cut up their bodies. Yes I totally believe that some times dr's are quick to suggest surgery BUT the vast majority of people want relief from their pain. again, we are not sheep to be lead.
Now my brother 65 just had surgery on his lower back. his was a two year battle with back pain. he tried every thing, alternative medicine, chiropractics, every supplement known to God. we went to a outdoor music concert and before the evening was over he was doubled over in pain and running for the opiod pain killers.

simply put that is not how he wants to spend the next 25 years of his life. so yeah he went in a few weeks ago for surgery.

not completely healed but 200% better
I talked my now 76 yr old brother out of doing a back surgery that a doc talked him into doing. He's been a golfer all his life, work and pro and golfers have notorious back issues, but after we talked long distance he cancelled his surgery. Told him to do his WORK and he's doing pretty good and happy he didn't do the back surgery.

On cutting the body that goes on today, the generation before me, DID NOT do this,,,appendix etc but not all the elective jobs done today and the damage done so much. There are so many stories out there.

My mom used a walker in her late 80's, she died early 90's and no surgeries and I use a walker later 70's and a hip job.

And since a member has posted about Foot Drop, it all makes sense on what I've been thru with the hip replacement. Another side effect: Foot Drop.

So we just don't see things the same and that is OK.

Old 09-06-2019, 12:28 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
But doesn't osteoarthritis cause numbness all by itself, with no surgery involved? My mother-in-law is 81 and has OA, especially bad in her hands. For the past few years she hasn't been able to feel her fingertips at all. She's never had surgery on her arms or hands, though.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
But doesn't osteoarthritis cause numbness all by itself, with no surgery involved? My mother-in-law is 81 and has OA, especially bad in her hands. For the past few years she hasn't been able to feel her fingertips at all. She's never had surgery on her arms or hands, though.
Oh I have 60some yrs of back OA and no numbness in the back. Back was never surgically touched. The rest of the stuff so much nerve damage and so many suffer out there with this damage from so many reasons and so have no idea by, so their docs call it ideopathic. There are reasons.

Thinking about the lower back issues, I've had some "burning" from time to time but not feeling that now.

OA is so different for most but the same in many ways.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:42 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The millions of people who suffer pain from osteoarthritis would probably welcome that. Numbness isn't usually considered a symptom of advanced OA. There are other reasons your MIL could have numbness in her fingers including compression of or damage to multiple nerves. Is she diabetic?

https://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/...s/sym-20050842
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness