U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-05-2020, 05:37 PM
 
6,683 posts, read 3,448,574 times
Reputation: 10338

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
We all experience cognitive decline, starting around age 19 or so. We were not designed to live to 60 or above. Throughout most of human history until the last few centuries, most of us died by age 30.
None of your post is true. By the terms of this very study baby boomers are experiencing a higher level of decline than should be expected.

Stop trying to make excuses.

Same for all the people trying to lay it at the feet of obesity. The only reason you want it to be that is because you aren't obese and you want to virtue signal.

It is most likely due to Statins.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-05-2020, 05:44 PM
 
5,729 posts, read 4,974,543 times
Reputation: 14662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
None of your post is true. By the terms of this very study baby boomers are experiencing a higher level of decline than should be expected.

Stop trying to make excuses.

Same for all the people trying to lay it at the feet of obesity. The only reason you want it to be that is because you aren't obese and you want to virtue signal.

It is most likely due to Statins.
No, all of my post is true. Plenty of science to back me up. Prove it wrong if you see errors in it.

There are millions, probably hundreds of millions, of people not taking statins yet experiencing symptoms of internet overdose.

Stop blaming statin. And stop being mean to people who blame obesity. I'm starting to suspect you're the obese one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2020, 05:48 PM
 
5,644 posts, read 12,624,977 times
Reputation: 14142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
None of your post is true. By the terms of this very study baby boomers are experiencing a higher level of decline than should be expected.

Stop trying to make excuses.

Same for all the people trying to lay it at the feet of obesity. The only reason you want it to be that is because you aren't obese and you want to virtue signal.

It is most likely due to Statins.
Nope.....and you keep repeating the same refrain over and over won't make it so....

The largest, most recent, most comprehensive study designed to look at this very question says you are wrong....

"Findings from more than 1,000 elderly individuals assessed over six years have revealed no links between statin medication and cognitive decline, such as memory loss, presenting new advice amidst some consumer concerns that statins may have a negative impact on cognitive health.

The collaborative study, led by researchers at the Garvan Institute of Medical Research and the Centre for Healthy Brain Ageing (CHeBA), UNSW Sydney, shows that statin use is even protective against memory decline in some individuals at risk of dementia."
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1118190838.htm
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2020, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Forest bathing
3,009 posts, read 2,054,486 times
Reputation: 6676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr2 View Post
I somewhat agree, but it is how you use devices that is the issue, not the devices. For example, I know people who will not drive a few miles without plugging some address into the navigation and following the phone directions. I routinely travel all day long by memorizing the map and the route ahead of time. If I do get lost, I have the phone to tell me where I am, get me back on track, and then I switch back to my mental map. I routinely amaze young people I work with because I can add, subtract, multiply, and divide in my head. They just can't do it because they don't practice it. Start balancing your checkbook on paper to keep your mind fresh. Little things like that can really help keep you young. My 90-year-old Dad also writes lots of notes down on paper, lists and things, and he uses a phone for calls and messaging, which requires typing. Typing is a good mental exercise too.
I do what your dad does: note writing like grocery and packing lists, math in my head not using a calculator. Plus, I don’t use Google maps with the directions telling me where to drive. I save a map with a screen shot then memorize it. I also do crosswords, Solitaire and Scrabble against the computer.

My mom is almost 91 and still does crosswords. She is still sharp. Keep the brain engaged.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2020, 07:08 PM
 
2,694 posts, read 1,291,946 times
Reputation: 9821
My grandfather and my mother both died of Alzheimer's. My mother's sister is alive and well and on statins, a skinny woman who for reasons unknown had extremely high cholesterol for decades. Not my mother though, who carried an extra 30 lbs most of her adult life. Her father was a skinny guy.
My mother's favorite thing to do every single morning was her crossword puzzle. We were doing them together into her late stage Alzheimer's. For her, it was one of the very last things to go. She couldn't tie her shoes or wash her own hands or remember where the door was, but she could answer those memorized crossword clues that are repetitive over decades.
My mother did like her candy.
My defense is to learn new things, completely out of my comfort zone. Pick up a piano, learn how to wire electrical, study the stock market, grow a vegetable garden, do things all over the map of life. NEW things. Some things I don't have a clue how to do and have never been comfortable with.
It may not work, but I'll learn new things trying.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2020, 07:45 PM
 
822 posts, read 501,360 times
Reputation: 2148
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Frankly, you're the one being kind of immature. Instead of obviously trying to insult or belittle someone by saying "you definitely have cognitive decline", why not stick to the topic you yourself started?

We all experience cognitive decline, starting around age 19 or so. We were not designed to live to 60 or above. Throughout most of human history until the last few centuries, most of us died by age 30.

As more of us live past 70, 80, even 100, we are pushing the envelope of what the brain can handle.

Add on top of that the hyper-stimulation of the modern information age, another thing our brains were actually not designed to handle, and we are in uncharted territory.

Everyone's got ADD, short memory, forgetting words. It's an international trend.

My fantasy life is to sell the house, get out of the urban area, and buy a homestead in the country somewhere. Grow food, raise farm animals, and let the rhythm of the seasons guide me, instead of the cray-cray wackiness of the internet.
It seems to me that a high percentage of people on statins are seniors. I'm no scientist, but it seems many people experience some memory loss and perhaps some cognitive decline as they age. So perhaps it's not the statins but the age.

I think the OP should give people a little more credit - I think they/we can tell if we're experiencing confusion or memory loss, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2020, 04:23 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
304 posts, read 110,205 times
Reputation: 853
Quote:
Problems finding your way around may be earliest sign of Alzheimer’s disease, study suggests
I find this interesting. Practice your navigation! https://source.wustl.edu/2016/04/pro...tudy-suggests/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2020, 06:48 AM
 
Location: East TN
9,728 posts, read 7,905,360 times
Reputation: 34390
Loss of navigation was one of the first signs we noticed in my MIL's dementia journey. (the actual very first sign was repetitive questions, and an inability to learn anything new that required multiple steps that needed to be done in order). She frequently couldn't find things in the grocery store and also had a hard time remembering where the registers and the exit were, even in her regular grocery. If we weren't with her, she would often find a friendly clerk to walk her around to everything on her list. She could not remember recently learned directions, but in her old neighborhood she was fine because those were memories from long ago. The older the memory, the longer it will persist over the course of dementia.

Last edited by TheShadow; 08-06-2020 at 06:57 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2020, 07:00 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
304 posts, read 110,205 times
Reputation: 853
Quote:
She could not remember recently learned directions, but in her old neighborhood she was fine because those were memories from long ago. the older the memory, the longer it will persist over the course of dementia.
Another reason why it might not be a great idea to sell up and move far away to a retirement home. When I was growing up there was an elderly man who we all thought of as "crazy" back before words like dementia were used. He wandered all around town saying strange things and often just bursting into people's homes--I don't think he had any idea where he was. But, because he had always lived there and everyone knew him everyone took care of him. I can remember getting up for breakfast and having him burst in through the front door, only to have my mom give him a cup of coffee and ask him to sit down for a bit. I worked at a little store in high school, and this gentleman would come in and help himself to a candy bar or something, but the owner said just ignore him and let him have his little pleasure. More than once I know the police or various neighbors walked him home in the evening. That type of thing is not going to happen if you move away from where your roots are.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2020, 08:51 AM
 
1,822 posts, read 998,670 times
Reputation: 4936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr2 View Post
Another reason why it might not be a great idea to sell up and move far away to a retirement home. When I was growing up there was an elderly man who we all thought of as "crazy" back before words like dementia were used. He wandered all around town saying strange things and often just bursting into people's homes--I don't think he had any idea where he was. But, because he had always lived there and everyone knew him everyone took care of him. I can remember getting up for breakfast and having him burst in through the front door, only to have my mom give him a cup of coffee and ask him to sit down for a bit. I worked at a little store in high school, and this gentleman would come in and help himself to a candy bar or something, but the owner said just ignore him and let him have his little pleasure. More than once I know the police or various neighbors walked him home in the evening. That type of thing is not going to happen if you move away from where your roots are.
That is an amazing story and extremely touching. The man was really never alone because everyone was there for him.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top