Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 01:20 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,552,074 times

Advertisements

There is a drug out there that not only is well known to cause cognitive issues and most people of a certain age take them, but I am crazy when a study comes out saying that group is suffering cognitive decline. Right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2020, 01:27 PM

11,505 posts, read 6,008,999 times
Never mind. I answered my own question here.

Old 08-14-2020, 02:00 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
There is a drug out there that not only is well known to cause cognitive issues and most people of a certain age take them, but I am crazy when a study comes out saying that group is suffering cognitive decline. Right.
Ah. Despite all the discussion you're right back where you started. Something didn't sink in? The disconnect between statins and the conclusions drawn from this specific research has already been exposed to air. Granted, it is somewhat nuanced, so I shouldn't be surprised that some just refuse to understand. After all, the thread topic IS cognitive decline.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-14-2020 at 02:17 PM..

Old 08-28-2020, 10:17 PM

7,134 posts, read 4,540,768 times
Statins were mainly tested on men and results seem to indicate that men of a certain age and risk factors benefit. High cholesterol in itself hasn’t been proven to cause heart attacks, stroke, etc. The seniors I have known to take them did decline cognitively. Not scientific at all of course but my limited observations. I take medications but statins are one I wouldn’t for any reason. I think we all need to make our own decisions versus blindly following what a doctor recommends.

Old 08-29-2020, 07:42 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
What drug are you talking about?? I can't think of any drug that MOST people of a certain age take....certainly not one "well known" to cause cognitive issues...

And this "study" you keep referencing it looked specifically at this "drug" and its link to cognitive decline, right???

I mean why would anyone reference a study that had nothing to do with the misguided point they were trying to make??

That would just be crazy...

In case you were referencing statins....28% of Americans over 40 take them, it has been a long time since I had math and statistics but is 28% indicative of "most"??

As for "well known" for causing cognitive decline...every study has shown just the opposite...

"We found that statins users, without baseline cognitive dysfunction, had a significantly reduced risk of developing all-caused dementia, AD, and MCI. Statins use was associated with a 15.1%, 28.1%, and 26.3% lowered risk of developing all-caused dementia, AD, and MCI respectively"

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-24248-8

So in fact, a MINORITY of people of a certain age take a medication which is well known to REDUCE the risk of cognitive decline and none of this was even remotely discussed in the study that you think PROVES the exact opposite.

Does that sum up your position?

Old 08-29-2020, 02:30 PM

3,439 posts, read 2,414,310 times
I maintain that the older you get, the more likely you are to suffer from - pretty much anything at all. That's the odds. Odds are EVENTUALLY you'll break a hip, or develop some kind of cancer, or start forgetting things, or slow down, or have saggy skin, or get pain in your joints, or have trouble breathing, or have a heart attack.

Every day is another opportunity to have "something" happen to you. So it stands to reason the more days you live, the more opportunities you have.

By extension - it stands to reason that people who live a WHOLE LOT OF DAYS have LOTS MORE OPPORTUNITIES to have something happen to them. Reduced brain function is one of those things.

Old 08-30-2020, 03:41 AM

1,974 posts, read 1,104,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
We all experience cognitive decline, starting around age 19 or so. We were not designed to live to 60 or above. Throughout most of human history until the last few centuries, most of us died by age 30.
Supposedly lifespan has remained unchanged at 120 years , more of us are now living closer to that number, but we certainly werent designed to die by 30. Men dont even fully develop their brain till 24. Most of what I have read is we start aging at 27.

It is exciting times though, recent discoveries like NAD+ and Urolithin A I think will push us past the 120 number very soon. Even though we may start to produce less collagen, testosterone, stomach acid etc as we age, these things can be supplemented.

With proper diet(keeping resting sugar below 80 , omega3s stop brain shrinkage)/exercise(physical and mental!) and nutrients, no reason we cant have sharp minds at an advanced age.

Some brain nutrient formulas worth considering - Jarrow's Neuro optimizer , Mind Lab Pro, and Qualia

For Brain plaque
10 ways to scrub plaque from your brain
Tumeric
Percepta

Last edited by Rom623; 08-30-2020 at 03:49 AM..

Old 08-30-2020, 09:46 AM

5,714 posts, read 4,291,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom623 View Post
Supposedly lifespan has remained unchanged at 120 years , more of us are now living closer to that number, but we certainly werent designed to die by 30. Men dont even fully develop their brain till 24. Most of what I have read is we start aging at 27.

It is exciting times though, recent discoveries like NAD+ and Urolithin A I think will push us past the 120 number very soon. Even though we may start to produce less collagen, testosterone, stomach acid etc as we age, these things can be supplemented.

With proper diet(keeping resting sugar below 80 , omega3s stop brain shrinkage)/exercise(physical and mental!) and nutrients, no reason we cant have sharp minds at an advanced age.

Some brain nutrient formulas worth considering - Jarrow's Neuro optimizer , Mind Lab Pro, and Qualia

For Brain plaque
10 ways to scrub plaque from your brain
Tumeric
Percepta

Thanks for the laughs

Old 08-12-2021, 05:17 PM

12,040 posts, read 6,572,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Thank you!
This is the best expose I’ve seen now on statins.
My husband was prescribed Lipitor recently (hasn’t started taking it yet), and so I am doing the research For him.

Old 08-12-2021, 07:52 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Statins were mainly tested on men and results seem to indicate that men of a certain age and risk factors benefit. High cholesterol in itself hasn’t been proven to cause heart attacks, stroke, etc. The seniors I have known to take them did decline cognitively. Not scientific at all of course but my limited observations. I take medications but statins are one I wouldn’t for any reason. I think we all need to make our own decisions versus blindly following what a doctor recommends.
My husband had a lot of problems with statins and got off them within a few weeks.

Of course, he's not a good example of why to get off them since he died of a massive heart attack a few years later and the medical examiner said it was at least in part because his cholesterol was abnormally high. I mean like out the roof. Every doctor that tested it said it was so high that it had to be genetic. Nothing he did diet wise and no supplements he ever took had the slightest effect on his ridiculously high cholesterol.

I won't take statins for any reason at all. I also have no reason to take them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness