Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 05:56 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Doesn't he look and sound devastated?
Frankly it sounds like it's not so bad.

Old 03-15-2021, 07:28 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Doesn't he look and sound devastated?
Sounds like he had a rough few days, but that's better than how you can end up with a COVID infection.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:19 PM

801 posts, read 452,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://www.aol.com/news/why-cdc-sti...170328121.html

More good information in the article

No one is saying it's "not going to improve their life"!
In fact the scientists/virologists are saying, as Biden said, it WILL improve your life, but at least for awhile, life is still going to be somewhat restricted; ie, you still have to NOT attend large crowd events etc if you don't want to risk your or others' lives.

So what the CDC is saying is after you get both shots (or 1 if it's J&J) then you can safely hang out with others indoors and outdoors who are also fully vaccinated. Is that not an improvement?

So it is the FIRST STEP towards getting back to normal.

Once 70% of the country is fully vaccinated there is hope we can return to complete normalcy or close to it.

So to say the vaccine is "not going to improve their life" is just not true.
People who are vaccinated have a very VERY low chance of being hospitalized due to Covid-19!
And people who are vaccinated can then hang out without social distancing or masks with others in small groups.

To me that sounds like a big step forward.

And here's the other really important thing:
Getting vaccinated is the only way we can safely reach herd immunity. The only other way is what Florida and Texas and other state governors (all Republican as far as I have seen) seem to want, which is to let many people die by doing nothing, opening everything up without restrictions.

So there are only those 2 options:
70% get vaccinated, or many thousands more people will die.

Personally I think "not dying" is a good reason to get vaccinated.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:23 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
The only other way is what Florida and Texas and other state governors (all Republican as far as I have seen) seem to want, which is to let many people die by doing nothing, opening everything up without restrictions.

So there are only those 2 options:
70% get vaccinated, or many thousands more people will die.

Personally I think "not dying" is a good reason to get vaccinated.

Do you have any evidence of a greater number of people dying in Florida and Texas since everything has opened back up without restrictions?

By all means get vaccinated, but please dont pretend your vaccine wont work if everyone doesnt happen to get vaccinated too.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:24 PM

801 posts, read 452,658 times
If I were President I would push for legislation that says "If you don't vaccinate and you then get Covid-19, your health insurance company will not pay for your treatment, it will come out of your own pocket or you die."

If you "don't believe in" the virus, fine, put your money where your mouth is. Otherwise, get the vaccine and help your fellow Americans defeat this pandemic we are "AT WAR" with!

Old 03-15-2021, 09:26 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,729 times
Quote:
If I were President I would push for legislation that says "If you don't vaccinate and you then get Covid-19, your health insurance company will not pay for your treatment, it will come out of your own pocket or you die."

If you "don't believe in" the virus, fine, put your money where your mouth is. Otherwise, get the vaccine and help your fellow Americans defeat this pandemic we are "AT WAR" with!
Ew, what a hateful, hurtful little creature you are.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:50 PM

5,988 posts, read 3,731,946 times
Quote:

I think that the overwhelming majority of people in this country have a lot more to fear from a population that wants to control every aspect of their life and every decision they make than they do from a virus that is fatal to about 2 people out of 1,000. And 80% of those fatalities are people over age 70 with an average of 2.6 comorbidities. Of course, if you're in the latter group, then maybe getting the vaccine would be a good idea although my 94 year old aunt had covid and has recovered nicely as far as we can tell.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:56 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I think that the overwhelming majority of people in this country have a lot more to fear from a population that wants to control every aspect of their life and every decision they make than they do from a virus that is fatal to about 2 people out of 1,000. And 80% of those fatalities are people over age 70 with an average of 2.6 comorbidities. Of course, if you're in the latter group, then maybe getting the vaccine would be a good idea although my 94 year old aunt had covid and has recovered nicely as far as we can tell.
Two people out of 1,000 is a lot.

Old 03-15-2021, 10:49 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
For those discounting the "two out of a thousand" death toll of Covid-19 as being insignificant, look at it this way: each of those people was very probably loved and is now grieved for by around five (or more) members of their family and friends.

Having lost many older members of my own family before the pandemic, I can assure you that grief for them was just as real and just as hard as grief for younger family members. You don't stop loving someone, or fail to miss them, just because they are old.

Minimizing Covid's horrid toll as simply taking old folks who would have died soon anyway and whose deaths are acceptable if the alternatives are government-ordered quarantines, masking, etc. is incredibly sensitive - and unspeakably selfish.

Do the math: in this country, well over three million one hundred and fifty thousand people are now grieving for their lost friends and/or loved ones. Not to mention the doctors, nurses and others who labored long and hard - and often fruitlessly - to save the lives of Covid-19's victims.

Can you really discount that grief - and the tragedy which caused it - as insignificant?

Old 03-16-2021, 04:40 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,377,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
The US Federal government didn't provide a dime to Pfizer for their vaccine. You can thank Germany for that, they're the ones who funded it.
Not really the true story - Germany provided about $450 M to Biotech for development while the US provided $1.95 B agreement to Pfizer to buy 100M doses whether vaccine worked or not. The idea was to fund production costs and start production ahead of approval.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.