Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 08:41 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The vaccine was free to me. I know its not really free and we will end up paying it back with tax dollars. Who knows.
As I've seen the actual bill for each one of my shots (~$17), the pharmaceutical companies will most like shift the costs to their top 10 drugs. Thus the actual charges will be paid out somewhere else. Either that or expect “pork barrel spending” next year.

Old 03-14-2021, 08:47 AM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Data from vaccine adverse event reporting systems in the US (VAERS), the EU (EUDRA) and the UK (MHRA) indicates that covid vaccinations have already been associated with about 3000 deaths and several thousand non-trivial ‘adverse events’, including anaphylactic (allergic) shocks, temporary facial paralysis, cardiovascular disorders, and, in some cases, miscarriages. These figures may be an underestimate, as vaccine reporting systems typically cover only a fraction of adverse events.
Post-vaccination deaths may be unrelated to the vaccination. However, in the US, 47% of post-vaccination deaths occurred in people who became ill within 48 hours of being vaccinated and 31% of deaths occurred within 48 hours of vaccination. 20% of deaths were related to cardiac disorder.
In the US, the average age of those who died after covid vaccination was 77.8 years. The youngest death confirmed was a 23-year-old. Some young and healthy doctors were affected, too.
Compared to the tens of millions of covid vaccinations already performed, these numbers are small. Compared to the amount of covid deaths, too, these numbers are small. But compared to the standards for safe medical products, these numbers are certainly significant. Moreover, little is still known about the long-term safety profile of covid vaccines. Back in 2009/2010, it took one year for the public to learn about neurological damages caused by swine flu vaccine adjuvants.
Regarding vaccine effectiveness, real-world studies indicate that after the second vaccine dose, effectiveness reaches about 90% in people up to 60 years old, but only about 65% in people over 80 years old. About one third of people over 80 do not develop neutralizing antibodies.
Data sources: Reporting sytems OpenVAERS (USA), EUDRA (EU), MHRA (UK).

Old 03-14-2021, 10:02 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
As I've seen the actual bill for each one of my shots (~$17), the pharmaceutical companies will most like shift the costs to their top 10 drugs. Thus the actual charges will be paid out somewhere else. Either that or expect “pork barrel spending” next year.

If I remember correctly the federal government allocated billions ahead of time to big pharma to create the vaccine and to manufacture it. And I believe with each relief bill that has passed they have gotten more money. For myself I got vaccinated at a city youth center that has been converted just for vaccines. I never saw a bill and have no idea who is paying the people working in there.

Old 03-14-2021, 10:05 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Data from vaccine adverse event reporting systems in the US (VAERS), the EU (EUDRA) and the UK (MHRA) indicates that covid vaccinations have already been associated with about 3000 deaths and several thousand non-trivial ‘adverse events’, including anaphylactic (allergic) shocks, temporary facial paralysis, cardiovascular disorders, and, in some cases, miscarriages. These figures may be an underestimate, as vaccine reporting systems typically cover only a fraction of adverse events.
Post-vaccination deaths may be unrelated to the vaccination. However, in the US, 47% of post-vaccination deaths occurred in people who became ill within 48 hours of being vaccinated and 31% of deaths occurred within 48 hours of vaccination. 20% of deaths were related to cardiac disorder.
In the US, the average age of those who died after covid vaccination was 77.8 years. The youngest death confirmed was a 23-year-old. Some young and healthy doctors were affected, too.
Compared to the tens of millions of covid vaccinations already performed, these numbers are small. Compared to the amount of covid deaths, too, these numbers are small. But compared to the standards for safe medical products, these numbers are certainly significant. Moreover, little is still known about the long-term safety profile of covid vaccines. Back in 2009/2010, it took one year for the public to learn about neurological damages caused by swine flu vaccine adjuvants.
Regarding vaccine effectiveness, real-world studies indicate that after the second vaccine dose, effectiveness reaches about 90% in people up to 60 years old, but only about 65% in people over 80 years old. About one third of people over 80 do not develop neutralizing antibodies.
Data sources: Reporting sytems OpenVAERS (USA), EUDRA (EU), MHRA (UK).
Please provide evidence that any of the deaths reported to VAERS in the US have been confirmed to be due to the vaccine.

https://vaers.hhs.gov/data/dataguide.html

"When evaluating data from VAERS, it is important to note that for any reported event, no cause-and-effect relationship has been established. Reports of all possible associations between vaccines and adverse events (possible side effects) are filed in VAERS. Therefore, VAERS collects data on any adverse event following vaccination, be it coincidental or truly caused by a vaccine. The report of an adverse event to VAERS is not documentation that a vaccine caused the event."

Pandemrix flu vaccine was not used in the US.

Old 03-14-2021, 10:10 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post

Interesting data. How many millions of vaccinations to get to 3000 deaths? 100 million, 200 million? Seems like there is a very slight chance things could go wrong and you die from the vaccine. But there is a very slight chance that if you drive to the supermarket today that someone runs a red light and kills you. So should you just stay home? Just order online and have your groceries delivered?

Old 03-14-2021, 03:05 PM

1,974 posts, read 1,103,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
What do you perceive as lack of transparency? News about the vaccines is produced pretty much minute by minute.

You think hacked and doctored emails indicate the vaccine is not "legitimate"?
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ts/4645698001/
White House working with social media giants to silence anti-vaxxers

I dont like the, we know better than you, mentality. Ben Stein Shared his experience on youtube, but searching youtube, you cant find it.

Several EU countries have put the breaks on while things are investigated. I have 0 confidence we would do the same here. Much like Israel, its hard to get honest information.

If you are communist minded, I guess its all good..

Quote:
Antivirals are being investigated; however, prevention is best. Evidence is emerging that the vaccines do prevent spread.
Anti-virals would bind to the virus and stop replication immediately, even without your immune system picking up the virus.
I grant vaccine will lessen the spread since you will recover faster, but you will still be able to spread it until your immunity figures out there is a problem..

Old 03-14-2021, 04:42 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom623 View Post
White House working with social media giants to silence anti-vaxxers

I dont like the, we know better than you, mentality. Ben Stein Shared his experience on youtube, but searching youtube, you cant find it.

Several EU countries have put the breaks on while things are investigated. I have 0 confidence we would do the same here. Much like Israel, its hard to get honest information.

If you are communist minded, I guess its all good..

Anti-virals would bind to the virus and stop replication immediately, even without your immune system picking up the virus.
I grant vaccine will lessen the spread since you will recover faster, but you will still be able to spread it until your immunity figures out there is a problem..
I found Ben Stein's video easily. I am sorry the second shot threw him for a loop but that is no reason for others to skip the vaccine.

Evidence is mounting that those who are vaccinated do not spread the virus.

Old 03-14-2021, 05:26 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I think you are correct. And for that reason, perhaps the people who have NOT been vaccinated should be leery of and avoid those who HAVE been vaccinated. The reason being, if a person has been vaccinated and they have the virus, the symptoms may not be evident, while, OTOH, if a person has NOT been vaccinated and they have the virus, they are more likely to display symptoms which would make it easier for others to know to avoid them.
Is that disease called "lockdown fever"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP Title
I think the CDC is being overly cautious. I would use the Israeli experience (link to article, excerpt below):
Quote:
The initial data from Israel, which has the highest coronavirus vaccination rates in the world, is “highly encouraging,” he says. But apparently not encouraging enough for the CDC to give an all-clear to Americans who’ve had their shots.
I think the CDC's posture is a mixture of butt-covering and ulterior motives.

Butt-covering -The "butt-covering" motive is obvious; if everyone hides under sheets and cowers in their homes no one can blame the CDC whereas if someone dies, and people die every day, people look for someone to blame.

Ulterior motives - There are several possibilities for explaining these motives:
  1. An effort to punish the population of the West for the sin of affluence and waste, to wear the hairshirt if you will. See the Club of Rome report, written over a period between 1968 and 1972, affiliated with MIT (link). This punitive ideology has been kicking around for a while;
  2. To perpetuate a governing class and world bodies; or
  3. Some combination of the two.
An example On March 22, 2020, a warm afternoon, after the lockdowns started, the outdoor tennis courts were all being played. I thought that was great, since both running and tennis are conducted more than six feet apart, and very rarely played by Covid-19 sufferers. The next day our village's mayor had the courts locked and the basketball hoops at neighborhood courts removed. This amounts to an effort to punish the population for the sin of affluence. See the Club of Rome report, written over a period between 1968 and 1972, linked above. This punitive ideology has been kicking around for a while. These are the same people who say the best we can hope for a "new normal" without the celebrations, culture, enjoyment and yes rowdiness that has been typical of American culture.

Another example is the extreme rules on recycling, where all that they accomplish is make garbage disposal a ditsy project. When I finish a yogurt I have to check the container to see if it contains a legend. This goes along with the impulse to punish the population for the sin of affluence.

Coming back to the CDC, the bureaucratic instinct is to control, regulate and suppress, not to set free. Presidents Ford and Carter maintained a complex price control system on crude oil and petroleum produces, once their usefulness was long outlived. Indeed those controls even generated the 1977 natural gas shortage and the 1979 gasoline shortage. It took Reagan eight days to rid the country of the controls, and aside from times of natural disasters and power failures we have not had a gas-station line since. The CDC, a bureaucracy, has its hard-wired instincts.

If it's good enough for Israel it's good enough for the U.S.

Old 03-14-2021, 05:57 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I think it's kind of a funny dichotomy. On the one hand you have this CDC guidance for even fully vaccinated people to remain cautious and maintain restrictions etc. and on the other you have entire states where a large chunk of the U.S. population lives where people completely without any protection, vaccine or masks, are mostly living an entirely regular life. Some of them pay the price in the form of a lengthy hospital stay or their life, but that doesn't seem to stop the rest.

It's like an almost dogmatic, uber-cautious, risk-minimizing, sterile world on the one hand, and a chaotic, hedonistic and reckless world on the other hand.

Demolition Man really was the most astute cinematic vision of the future in the U.S. ever made. In case you haven't seen it, in the movie the U.S. government is in the pocket of major corporations and all 'nasty' things have been entirely banned, from unhealthy food, cigarettes to swearing and of course sex. There is an underground resistance of free-wheeling rebels living in squalor and abject poverty but enjoying junk food, sex etc..
That's why you need a Moderator cut: profanity date, where you simply disregard what the overcautious camp says. I set mine at September 1st, but subject to tweaking depending on the vaccine rollout.

Last edited by in_newengland; 03-14-2021 at 09:08 PM..

Old 03-14-2021, 06:22 PM

1,974 posts, read 1,103,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I found Ben Stein's video easily. I am sorry the second shot threw him for a loop but that is no reason for others to skip the vaccine.
haha people keep reposting it b/c the one I saw doesnt come up, be interesting to see how long it takes to snipe those.
Quote:
Evidence is mounting that those who are vaccinated do not spread the virus.
? Do you think the vaccine is a magical potion? Until your immunity engages, you will be able to spread it. As I said, once engaged, the vaccine anti-bodies should make short work of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.