Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2008, 10:25 PM

16 posts, read 120,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardaire View Post
hi there every1 i am new here and wondered if any1 had a displaced Oblique Fracture on tibia and norm fracture on fibia?
i broke my left leg that way playin fire ball with my kids on 2/5/08.
docs wanted to do surgery but i opted for out (have a problem with ansetic )and so am in a full heavy leg cast with my foot pointing down to the floor. as of todays x-ray the bones seem to be stayin put but there is no signs of healing yet doc wants to see me in another 3 weeks, does any1 know if this is a bad sign or not (was told orginally healin would show on x-ray in about 3 weeks after break) i am a single mother of 6 (only 5 at home) and am now wondering if i should have just stopped being a chicken and had op?
or if i am right in hoping it will hold and heal. doc said i had a 1 in 3 chance of this.
Hi there,
I had/have a similar fracture. I broke the top and bottom of my fib but that healed in fairly good time. The tibia fracture was displaced and is oblique but also referred to as butterflied - sounds pretty but it's not. In what part of the tib is your fracture? Mine is distal (bottom - close to the ankle joint). I have been told that if it is a distal or proximal (top end of bone) fracture they can have delayed healing but, of course, everyone is different. Prepare yourself for staying in the cast longer as it initially comes as a shock if you are told it still hasn't healed upon the next xrays. If it has healed you will be elated. Moving around as much as you can is a good thing to try and get circulation in your leg. The blood cells, which carry oxygen, promote bone growth and the more oxygen in the blood cells the better.
Best of luck with your xrays and look forward to reading your update.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:38 PM

8 posts, read 34,340 times
hi there srry to hear you have near same as me , my tib was broke 2/3 down and fib near top.
am walkin loads and takin calcium and arnica at moment.
4 weks today till we go away so hoping will have cast changed b4 then ,next appointment is 18 this month so will let you know how it goes.

hope you all heal good and quick.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:39 PM

1 posts, read 5,901 times
i was hit on my motorcycle by a guy who ran through a stop sign. Ended up with a compound tib/fib fracture, and tore all the ligaments in my ankle. Still painful and ankle still ver swollen. Im told about 6 month recovery, ankle up to a year

Old 06-10-2008, 03:38 AM

6 posts, read 31,219 times
Default hi

hi nel,
how are you? I just been to os last friday had xray and told me that slow healing. he said at 16 weeks he was expecting a bit more bone growth and healing. he ask me i the screws causing any discomfort and i said yes so he suggested the removal of the screws as soon as possible that i have the schedule next monday. its called dynamization of screw which will also help in the healing of the bones. has anybody heard about this and may i know whats your idea i will really appreciate it share some insights. I was a bit dissapointed i was doing very well walking all the time without any aid. it still hurt especially near the ankle. the doc will remove the screw just under my knee area but will leave the ankle ones. Im really down right now. I was hoping to get back to work soon but another op is coming so i dont know. by the way to lift me up the os said i can full weight bear after no restrictions and its a quick op he said. I just wonder when did you stop feeling the pain i just wonder cos it seems like a long time and still feel the aches and it does hurt bad sometimes especially if i walk for long.
hope to hear from you
thank you
sgreaves

Old 06-10-2008, 11:21 PM

37 posts, read 306,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgreaves View Post
hi nel,
how are you? I just been to os last friday had xray and told me that slow healing. he said at 16 weeks he was expecting a bit more bone growth and healing. he ask me i the screws causing any discomfort and i said yes so he suggested the removal of the screws as soon as possible that i have the schedule next monday. its called dynamization of screw which will also help in the healing of the bones. has anybody heard about this and may i know whats your idea i will really appreciate it share some insights. I was a bit dissapointed i was doing very well walking all the time without any aid. it still hurt especially near the ankle. the doc will remove the screw just under my knee area but will leave the ankle ones. Im really down right now. I was hoping to get back to work soon but another op is coming so i dont know. by the way to lift me up the os said i can full weight bear after no restrictions and its a quick op he said. I just wonder when did you stop feeling the pain i just wonder cos it seems like a long time and still feel the aches and it does hurt bad sometimes especially if i walk for long.
hope to hear from you
thank you
sgreaves
hi, i was reading your post. So sorry to hear about your setback. I'm just into my 7th week (spiral tibial fracture slightly displaced). Been asked to put weight on the leg. Am still in a cast.

I am reading this book called "Acupressure's Potent Points: A Guide to Self-Care for Common Ailments" by Michael Reed Gach. He suggests some spots on the ankle to apply pressure (use thumb/fingers) for the pain. Maybe you can try reading the book or some websites on acupressure. Points to press for the knee is behind the centre of the back of the knee in the crease of the knee joint and outside of the knee, where the crease ends when the knee is bent. For the ankle: one thumb-width below the inside of the ankle bone or in the large hollow directly in front of outer anklebone. I've tried the one for the knee. It helped.

Also, have seen some studies on silica which says it helps heal bones that had not healed for a year. I don't know how true it is but I'm giving it a try, specifically Biosil silica.

I can imagine your frustration. I'm also facing the question mark whether I will be able to go back to work after 16 weeks. But it sounds great that you will be able to do full weightbearing. You've come a long way. So, keep your spirits up! This (setback) too shall pass!

Old 06-10-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_uk View Post
Well after 15 weeks i was told yesterday that I can start puttin some weight on my leg. Still feels like it would snap if i did. Sore and hurts a little. I think i'll still use the crutches and just start adding more weight until it's about 50%. It's been a long time coming. For all you guys that might be starting this journey. Hang in there. Once the pain goes away after about the first 4 weeks, the swelling will slowly get less and the crutches just become part of your life, you will get use to them. I can do most things that I could before. Gym, drive, get out and about. There is hope. Before you know it you will be walking again.
hey, thanks for your encouraging words ! Am starting to put on some weight with crutches at Week 6. Still in a cast. Just have to grit my teeth and do it. No pain, no gain.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddyman View Post
i was hit on my motorcycle by a guy who ran through a stop sign. Ended up with a compound tib/fib fracture, and tore all the ligaments in my ankle. Still painful and ankle still ver swollen. Im told about 6 month recovery, ankle up to a year
So sorry to hear about your injury. Keep your leg elevated. Less pain soon. This too shall pass. I'm in my 7th week but feels like time has passed by quickly. Keep yourself distracted - books, TV, etc. And think positive. Hard to sometimes, but you can't change what happened. You can only do your best to recover.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:09 PM

16 posts, read 120,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardaire View Post
hi there srry to hear you have near same as me , my tib was broke 2/3 down and fib near top.
am walkin loads and takin calcium and arnica at moment.
4 weks today till we go away so hoping will have cast changed b4 then ,next appointment is 18 this month so will let you know how it goes.

hope you all heal good and quick.
The best of luck with you appointment next week.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 5,860 times
Default fractured tibia

I am a private in the U.S Army. I have been at fort benning georgia for 6 months which has been elongated due to a stress fracture to my right tibia. I fractured my tibia in march and had x-rays taken. From what I was told, stress fractures dont really show up on x-rays, unless they are really bad. I was given convolecent leave until April, and when I returned I took another x-ray. I have gone to physical therapy here at fort benning and was able to run a little bit on it, however, for the most part I have periodic pain when walking and cant run for more than 7 to 8 minutes at most. I went an retook x-rays the other day and the radiologist expert wrote in the report saying that the x-rays havent changed or showed any improvement and that there was no sign of bone growth in my x-rays. I took a bone scan today and I get my results tomorrow. Does anyone have any suggestions? the physical therapist said that maybe my bones were naturally formed this way since there isnt any changes in my x-rays in 3 months. I have random pain, and constant throbbing. I dont know what is going on, I was told it could be a stress fracture, but when you look at my x-rays, it shows a crack moving horizontally from one side of my tibia to the other. Any help would be great.

Old 06-14-2008, 05:54 AM

3 posts, read 31,140 times
Default Fractured Tibia and fibula

Hi all first visit to this site.
I am a 53 male was fit until May 26th 2008 was on a ladder and it slipped down the wall and I have fractured Tibia /fibula and another bone in my foot.I was addmitted to hospital and waited 10 days before the surgeon operated, at first he thought I may have a fixation however when I came around I had had 2 plates put in with several screws, half a cast on and the pain was terrible. 2 days more in hospital and I was taken home on a streatcher from hospital. going back to hospital on 13 June to have full cast on. I cannot sleep good at all have foot on 3 pillows and when I move about, which is only once a day to the bathroom on my zimmer I have pain as blood rushs to my foot.
Has anyone done similar and how long is the recovery going to take, and any tips what to do or not to do
thanks
John
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.