Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 12:59 PM

37 posts, read 283,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
Okay folks, No bashing, please. This is a serious question and not meant to offend anyone.

It seems our society is taking "Super-Size Me" way to seriously. Being overweight and unhealthy seems to be the norm, now.

We hear about how diabetes and blood pressure problems are sky-rocketing, along with many other weight-related medical conditions yet so many folks keep shoveling the food in. Don't folks realize they are killing themselves slowly?

The tremendous amount of money we throw at the doctors and drug companies could be kept in our own pockets if we watched our diet. These people are profiting from your health problems. Many of those health problems could be alleviated if we made adjustments to our food intake. No need to become a crash dieter or vegatarian. either. Just make more thoughtful choices at the grocery and push back from the table before your are stuffed to the gills.

Think about it..........
100 years ago, more people ate healthier because we didn't have hundreds of choices for snacks neatly packaged for us. We didn't have all the pesticides, hormones, additives and preservatives in our food like we do today. We eat loads of foods that are so full of crap then wonder why we are overweight and sickly.

Information about healthy living is at our fingertips yet so many ignore it while reaching for that Twinkie, then wonder why we're so tired all the time.

And then there are those HUGE portions at the restaraunts. OMG!!! What is with these places? I'd much rather they offered smaller portions along with cheaper prices. Folks who want more could order an extra side item.

The U.S. has become the fattest country in the world. We have been considered the land of plenty by many and we abuse it to our own detriment.

What do you think? Will we continue on this decline in our overall health or will folks snap out of it and start to help themselves?
Yes, it's a huge problem I used to be size 16, but now I am size 5. I eat the healthy chocolaterave nuggets. They are yummy dark chocolate, help you to lose weight and they have the acai berry in them. The taste is to die for and no weight gain! I've kept my weight off for nearly 7 years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 06:27 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
What costs less?
1500 calories or 3500 calories?
seriously, this is such a dumb question!! I can go to the corner store and buy a damn honey bun w/ 500 calories for $.50. the same store sells bananas at $.75 each. a Kashi frozen dinner is almost $6 in some stores vs. Stouffers which is about $3. food isn't priced per calorie, and junk food CAN be cheaper than healthy food.

again, not trying to make excuses for people, but you don't seem to want to believe that in some cases, junk is cheaper than healthy food. you don't seem to want to factor in the fact that:

1) low income areas have limited food options, and the options present aren't healthy
2) low income people don't always have wads of cash lying around to buy in bulk from Costco, and must buy as they go, which is more expensive
3) not everyone is a smart shopper. a lot of people don't know how much they're really paying for an item, and can't comparison shop (esp. when considering #1)
4) not everyone has time to cook a week's worth of meals for a family ahead of time. not everyone has time to cook every night. not everyone is especially skilled at cooking to begin.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:33 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
seriously, this is such a dumb question!! I can go to the corner store and buy a damn honey bun w/ 500 calories for $.50. the same store sells bananas at $.75 each. a Kashi frozen dinner is almost $6 in some stores vs. Stouffers which is about $3. food isn't priced per calorie, and junk food CAN be cheaper than healthy food.

again, not trying to make excuses for people, but you don't seem to want to believe that in some cases, junk is cheaper than healthy food. you don't seem to want to factor in the fact that:

1) low income areas have limited food options, and the options present aren't healthy
2) low income people don't always have wads of cash lying around to buy in bulk from Costco, and must buy as they go, which is more expensive
3) not everyone is a smart shopper. a lot of people don't know how much they're really paying for an item, and can't comparison shop (esp. when considering #1)
4) not everyone has time to cook a week's worth of meals for a family ahead of time. not everyone has time to cook every night. not everyone is especially skilled at cooking to begin.
It's really not a dumb question. You can choose a .50 honey bun over a .75 banana, but you can also choose a $2.00 box of oatmeal that will last for a week. It doesn't take any great cooking skills to make the oatmeal. All it takes is a decision to spend 10 minutes on breakfast instead of 10 seconds.

And Kashi versus Stouffer? Since when has buying a frozen dinner ever been cheap or nutritious? Why not buy a pound of pasta for a dollar, toss it with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil for .25 and throw $3.00 worth of tomatoes on top? You've spent $4.25 and have fed a family of four.

In some inner cities people undoubtedly have difficulty getting healthy food. But that's not the case where I live. People are very overweight and their carts are full of sodas, chips and pre-packaged foods, all of which are more expensive than beans, pasta, and tap water.

When people are truly poor, they're not fat. Look at pictures taken of people during the great depression.

Poverty may be a reason that a few people in our country are overweight, but the vast majority are overweight because they eat too much, plain and simple.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:31 AM

973 posts, read 3,304,931 times
One thing I have noticed in this debate about weight is that there is one group saying that healthy food is too expensive and the other group arguing that it isn't. I am wondering if there are folks who just don't understand HOW to cook differently. For those getting their dander up, wait a moment.

Not everyone is a creative cook, myself included. I have no idea what herbs and spices to use to add flavor to a dish that otherwise might be sort of bland. Folks who aren't familiar with cooking or how to use herbs and spices might more readily resort to using the tried and true method, such as heavy sauces for example.

Since I'm not creative in the kitchen, I find that I stick to plain fruits and veggies. The most creative I get is when I make a salad. I AM learning some new things, though. I will be the first to admit that sometimes, I don't want to fool with cooking and will happily make a PB&J. I also realize that if I ever want to lose the 10 pounds I complain about, it's entirely up to me to do so. I don't blame the lack of healthy choices at the grocery store or the cost of food. I blame nobody but myself for the lack of discipline. Then I drive to a local hiking trail I'm fond of and get to steppin'.

I think that there are a lot of folks who take the easy way out and rely heavily on frozen meals, junk and heavy, calorie laden food simply because it is quicker or easier. They don't want to put any thought or effort into basic nutrition and they pay the price by being heavier.

I also think that there are some folks who would like to do better but don't know where to start or how to put together something that is healthy, tasty and inexpensive. Maybe I should start a new thread for folks to contribute their ideas.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:46 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,423 times
Cool gizmobizmo....

I agree with you ! Most people just "don't know where to start, they don't know what is healthy and what is not". IMHO..... they really don't care !

How much effort is it to read a book on nutrition?

Anyway, we can banter back and forth on why/how/ - it's still the personal responsibility of each person to take control and make his/her own choice based on real knowledge or cravings

Old 11-22-2008, 03:58 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I agree with you ! Most people just "don't know where to start, they don't know what is healthy and what is not". IMHO..... they really don't care !

How much effort is it to read a book on nutrition?

Anyway, we can banter back and forth on why/how/ - it's still the personal responsibility of each person to take control and make his/her own choice based on real knowledge or cravings
Most people don't know. In order to know, they will need to learn why balanced nutrition is so important. The only way I can see for them to learn that is thru the only "education" tool that can actually reach them, TV. That would require Govt, Industry and the public working together to accomplish. All of us have a vested interest in getting that done.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:29 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,652,487 times
I think years ago people started with a big hearty breakfast, tons of eggs, bisquits and bacon. But they also did a whole day's work and really had to put physical work into every day so they worked the food off. But now we sit so much, in our jobs, and veg in front of the TV and I guess the computer!!! LOL
We need to balance how our life style is to what we eat.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:09 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post

I didnt come out of the womb knowing how to cook. I taught myself from what I picked up watching others, TV and books. I am a student and there is no silver spoon swinging from my lips thats for sure. I dont buy in giant bulk quantities either. I live in a small apt and cant STAND the taste of food that sits around. I buy for the day or for a couple days.
I live in pittsburgh. Its a working class and low income type city. I wil agree that not everyone is a smart shopper. Time to WISE UP. You can prepare a meal within 15-30 minutes. I dont do recipes that take longer than that unless its holiday.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:12 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
One thing I have noticed in this debate about weight is that there is one group saying that healthy food is too expensive and the other group arguing that it isn't. I am wondering if there are folks who just don't understand HOW to cook differently. For those getting their dander up, wait a moment.

Not everyone is a creative cook, myself included. I have no idea what herbs and spices to use to add flavor to a dish that otherwise might be sort of bland. Folks who aren't familiar with cooking or how to use herbs and spices might more readily resort to using the tried and true method, such as heavy sauces for example.

Since I'm not creative in the kitchen, I find that I stick to plain fruits and veggies. The most creative I get is when I make a salad. I AM learning some new things, though. I will be the first to admit that sometimes, I don't want to fool with cooking and will happily make a PB&J. I also realize that if I ever want to lose the 10 pounds I complain about, it's entirely up to me to do so. I don't blame the lack of healthy choices at the grocery store or the cost of food. I blame nobody but myself for the lack of discipline. Then I drive to a local hiking trail I'm fond of and get to steppin'.

I think that there are a lot of folks who take the easy way out and rely heavily on frozen meals, junk and heavy, calorie laden food simply because it is quicker or easier. They don't want to put any thought or effort into basic nutrition and they pay the price by being heavier.

I also think that there are some folks who would like to do better but don't know where to start or how to put together something that is healthy, tasty and inexpensive. Maybe I should start a new thread for folks to contribute their ideas.

Great basics dont need anything but a little salt and pepper with a touch of onion or garlic.
And a little fat in the dish to bring out the flavor.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:07 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,884 times
Blah Blah Blah Blah
don't be so critical
while being excessively overweight is not the ideal
There are many people that have other conditions other than addiction to food
A lot of people eat for comfort, AS WE ALREADY KNOW)))
who's perfect? I'm mainly concerned with the younger children that are morbidly obese and are suffering from some disease
If you love food like I do, just get in a 30-45 minute workout and most times you'll be fine, and drink lots of water with a lemon wedge in it!!
get regular checkups at your doctor and labs to make sure that you are not borderline diabetic or anything;
Comfort and solace i feel are what most people are looking for in a hateful and cruel world
they eat instead of doing dope or alcohol;
Just be encouraged those of you who are overweight and just go swimming and do a good workout at least 3 times a week?
You can drop dead from worrying too much too, so don't beat yourselves up, if you gained it, you can lose it.
and the worrying about it will just motivatate you to eat more and more,
unless there's a pre-existing condition that caused this obesity in the first palce
America need to lighten up, seriously, they seem to never be satisfied with anything
GEESH!!
Have you noticed that people are way too serious??
Let him examine himself, stressed out all the time is a breeding ground for cancer and all other types of autoimmune diseases- "go figure"
EAT, but do it healthy
everything's going to be okay..
(BTW my comments were after reading the first two pages of this thread)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness