Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2014, 07:43 AM

3 posts, read 5,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkiegirl View Post
Hi Ice, I was on the couch/lazy boy for around 6 months b4 i comfortable enough in my own bed, was easier to stay on the lazy boy to keep my leg up, i posted a few days ago on my venture of this horrible thing.. breaking your leg, its been a journey that is for sure, and still not over... I am 48 years old, in fairly good shape, its been a year for me now, since i broke it. Had a full leg brace as well, no cast... Thing with this is everyone heals and their breaks are all different. but for me i had 3 plates and 15 screws, upper tibia/fib plateau fracture, so it was all just below my knee. I was total non weight baring for 4 months(used a walker) and using my crutches till 6 months and my cane till month 9, after that i limped. I just recently(1 week ago) had my plates and screws removed, due to the pain it was causing me and my knee was giving out and causing me pain, due to the screws that were right next to it and i had a torn meniscus,just got the stiches out of my knee to day and next week i get the stitches out of my leg( two 8 to 10 inches long down each side of my calf, the original sites when the put the plates in) on the up side of getting them out, is i will have decreased pain and my knee will be better so i can walk with out a limp, and workout without pain, and i can get back to dancing again downside atm is i am on crutches again for 3 to 4 weeks till the holes from the screws start to heal, so i don't re fracture my leg. Only a week so far, but i can already feel the pain i was having from the hardware and knee is not there, just very tender from the incisions and swelling and i can feel my bone inside hurts. I will keep everyone posted on my recovery from my hardware removal. If u have any questions, i can only tell ya what my experience is, everyone is different.
Hi Spunkiegirl.. Wow you have been thru a lot. Went to DR. 3/5 leg is to remain straight till yhe 24th.,however can bear weight up to 10# while standing. Think I over did first day foot swelled up more than already is . Better this am will go a little slower today. I have a phyiscal job and not sure when I will make it back hopefully by June! Dr. Said possible could drive by may.. Not near the hardware as you but screws in ankle area are sensitive. Crutches, getting around pretty good. At this point just want the weather to warm up to 50 so I can sit outside..miss fresh air and sunshine! have a hike planned in June in the white mts. Just a day hike ,but I have a goal! 😄of course that's the first of many. Keep up a positive attitude...I have my husband who makes me laugh daily! Look forward to hearing from you..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 08:24 PM

36 posts, read 35,684 times
I haven't posted in a while... I went to my 2wk post op appt on Wed and the Doc said that everything looks good and my leg is healing well. I am still on 2 crutches and no w/b and no knee bending. I have another appt in 4wks and thats also when I start PT... I am just taking and slow and steady and listening to what the Dr says. The dr asst told me that i move very quickly and swiftly which takes skill she said.... LoL! I am hoping for a strong and speedy recovery. I see many ppl get their hardware removed also. I will see how mines is affecting me in a yrs time or so. . . . Looking forward to the feedback.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,298 times
I fell skiing almost 4 weeks ago and broke my rt tibia and fibula in 3 places. 2 were incomplete and one complete and displaced to my tibia. I had surgery the day after the fall and they placed a rod and screws under my knee and at the ankle.
I have limited range of motion to my knee and minimal ROM to my ankle and toes. Almost no movement to my big toe.
My biggest complaint is the nerve pain. This nerve pain is on the top of my foot, big toe, inside ankle and a few inches up my shin. I saw a neurologist and started medication a few days ago.
Has anyone experienced nerve pain like this? If yes, when does it go away?
I am starting PT this week and looking forward to getting my life back.
When will I be driving?

Old 03-08-2014, 05:15 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,054,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiaccident3fractures View Post
I fell skiing almost 4 weeks ago and broke my rt tibia and fibula in 3 places. 2 were incomplete and one complete and displaced to my tibia. I had surgery the day after the fall and they placed a rod and screws under my knee and at the ankle.
I have limited range of motion to my knee and minimal ROM to my ankle and toes. Almost no movement to my big toe.
My biggest complaint is the nerve pain. This nerve pain is on the top of my foot, big toe, inside ankle and a few inches up my shin. I saw a neurologist and started medication a few days ago.
Has anyone experienced nerve pain like this? If yes, when does it go away?
I am starting PT this week and looking forward to getting my life back.
When will I be driving?
I experienced numbness in areas of my broken foot - lasted for quite some time but eventually went away. I believe your nerve pain will lessen as time goes by - hope it will anyway.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,257 times
On 2/6/14 walking out of the Kansas City KS Federal Court house I slipped on car ramp covered in ice and snow, and snapped my fibia and tibia clean through. It was 5 degree's outside and I was laying on snnow and ice for 40 minutes. It was agony! My wife was with me, told me that while I was lying on the ground, the crew of the KCK Court house came out and started throwing salt on the ground. Nice huh?
Well along with the clean breaks, I had a fracture that ran into the ankle. So I was put in an extrenal fixiture for three days before surgery. So that adds to the broken bones, as they drilled into my heel bone and shin. Then then put the titanium rod in through my knee, and screwed it all together with plates and 9 screws. Todays is 3/11 and I am still unable to put any weight on it.
Oh did I also mention that when I was 14 I broke my neck and had a spinal cord injury which has left me with a partially paralyzed upper body, weak arms and hands, shoulders, back etc.. So no crutches for me.

I am plugging away, and so look forward to being able to walk. My leg is waisting away. Ugh!

Old 04-05-2014, 09:05 AM

4 posts, read 10,730 times
Here is my documentary, BUT STILL HERE. This is an account of the last 10 months of my life dealing with a fractured fibula, the surgery, the rehab, and events surrounding it. I made this documentary as a means to show others who are disabled that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIfvj5sgVTI

Old 04-13-2014, 03:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,094 times
Hi broke my left leg both one have to have a plate in about 26 screw it's happen june4 2013 instill have pain have no feeing by my ankle now the doctor tell me reason my back hurt a lot broke something went I fall indeed to know how long I going have painful pain all the time have to take pain medical I hate not able to walk I still in wheelchair try walk some but the pain hurt how much do you have to paid for the operation I still didn't get a bill fell of my porch the handrail was loose the landlord didn't fix it

Old 04-13-2014, 02:44 PM

4 posts, read 7,732 times
Great information so far. I should share mine.

Broke tibia and fibula in a skiing accident on evening of Mar 14. Had an IM nailing surgery next morning. A titanium rod and I think 4 screws, but not sure. The break was clean and right at the center of shin, so luckily the joints were not affected. Was sent home with a cast and crutches after two more nights in hospital.

I managed pain with oxycodone and tylenol for first two weeks. On Apr 2, i.e. two and a half weeks after surgery, they removed the cast and stitches and put on an air boot. I am now much more mobile and in much less pain. I can put around 50-75% weight on my injured leg now. My leg is still bent at the knee and the doctors advised me to keep trying to straighten it.

The x-rays are scheduled on Apr 30, i.e. 6.5 weeks after surgery.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,047 times
hi
i am also new a here, 3 year ago in a bike accident i broke knee and also tibia fracture, after surgery i were not followed doctor advise properly because i am one of the busy guy and have many social and entertainment and sport circles, and it is very difficult to me stay on bad rest therefore my doctor advised for another operation and they put 2 plate and 15 screws but after 2nd surgery i followed doctor advise fully and i recover my health comparatively
few day ago i start some exercise for overall body fitness and also doctor's recommended exercise, but it cause very bad pain while walk especially when i walk down stairs

any have such advise or face experience like it please share me
[mod]snip[/mod]

Regards
Fasial Ali

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 04-19-2014 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: No personal contact info in public post

Old 05-09-2014, 08:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,974 times
I am a healthy 59 year old grandmother. Seventeen months ago I was taking my grand daughter to school and was hit head on, this resulted in my right leg being broke. Both the tib and fib. Also my left shoulder. I had 6 surgeries in 5 days. I have a rod and screws in my leg and a plate and 11 screws in my shoulder. I am still having problems with pain and swelling in my leg. My leg swells so much the skin around my skin graft gets sore and warm. I have a lot of scar tissue that just doesn't seem to want to break up. Has anyone had to have the tissue removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness