Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2013, 04:45 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times

Advertisements

Good News! My nephew saw the orthopedis and it was not broken afterall. I don't know wht the ER said it was. It's bady brusied so the cast came off but he still can't play sports just yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 09:12 PM

2 posts, read 60,009 times
i have a metal plate in my left leg. i can walk with out a boot and i can walk with a boot. but its starting to hurt some. if i twist my food left or right i feel the bone crunching. the pain is there but i can get by without meds. my question is can i keep walking even with it this way?

Old 04-01-2013, 12:29 AM

2 posts, read 13,583 times
If it is a popping noise, i think it is normal, have a similar situation.
the popping goes off after 3 weeks or so when u are full weight bearing.
anyway ask ur physio/doctor when u get a chance

Old 04-01-2013, 12:31 AM

2 posts, read 13,583 times
Default Advice for an impatient guy

Posting on April fools day,hmmm. I wish this was a goddam prank.
Ok I so fractured my fibula above my ankle (left leg) in Jan and had to get it operated 2 days later. They inserted a metal plate + 6 screws to fix the fracture and 2 long screws going across to hold the fibula and tibia. Just started walking 2 weeks ago, was non weight bearing for 10+ weeks. Going for physio twice a week but I feel the recovery is pretty slow. It is really frustrating because I went from being a guy who could sprint a 100 m is less than 13 seconds to someone who can barely walk without limping.
Does anyone know how long does it take to get back to running ( and playing soccer in my case) ? Also any tips to fasten the healing process ?
cheers and happy easter

Old 04-06-2013, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 6,683 times
Default Any thoughts?

I had a spiral fracture of my tibia and fibula on NYE and had surgery the following day with an IM nail (rod in tibia) and 3 screws to keep in place. The doctor did nothing with the fibula, and said it would heal on it's own. I was in a cast for 2 weeks and a "walking" boot since (although didn't get permission to weight bear until about 6 weeks post op and only progressing to full weight bearing *in boot only recently.)
My 6 week post op xray showed no bone callous formation which was discouraging, and I have another xray on Tuesday, which I am hoping will be better news (13 weeks post op). He told me at 6 weeks I could start to bear weight because my hardware was stable.
I will be honest, I have done more than I have been given permission to do (although my doctor knows all that I have been doing and has not point blank told me I am doing damage). I Crossfit 5-6 days a week, which includes olympic style lifting and high intensity exercise (although I take caution not to put extra weight on my leg and always wear my boot).
Does anyone else have experience with pushing their activity during recovery? I know about Wolff's Law related to bone remodeling, and I using this as a basis for my decisions for continuing an active lifestyle, but listen to my body and never push myself to a point of "pain".
Thoughts about this? I was told in the beginning it would take about 9 months for me to start feeling like myself (assuming this means walking without a boot and without a limp), so if I can do as much as I can to live a normal active life, despite my limitations, the better for my mental well being.
Thanks in advance

Old 04-27-2013, 06:13 AM

1 posts, read 6,612 times
Hi folks,
Every one has specific history and wish all you the best for luck and healing as fastest as can..I had my leg broken about 9 months 15 days ago and had 2 surgeries than 5 months with Ilizarov fixator (4 circles) than 3 months casting...Yesterday I've controlled with hope of getting rid of that stupid cast but.... disappointed because bones were not healed in proper after all !..I m just waiting for another 2 weeks to get my skin healed well and ready to get another operation for internal fixation !....So all this things made me to learn what "Patience" was and life is at the edge of thin cotton yarn !..By the way I'm 46 and just broke my leg as fallen from a 3ft bar stool at all.....
PLEASE WATCH YOURSELF, ESPECIALLY AGAINST COINCIDENTAL UNEXPECTED SIMPLE ACCIDENTS !..

Old 05-05-2013, 04:09 PM

5 posts, read 22,008 times
I had an IM rod hammered into my tibia when my leg was broken after I was hit by a car in 2010. I had the rod removed in 2012 because the pain was terrible for those two years...it was like a living nightmare.

Even though my pain is reduced (compared to when I had the implant in my tibia) I never fully recovered; I have a lot of pain in the front of my knee, the outer side of my knee feels like a dog is chewing on it 24/7, and I can't feel half my foot. I've fallen flat on my face more than once from my ruined knee giving out.

Sucks.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_shrodinger View Post
Posting on April fools day,hmmm. I wish this was a goddam prank.
Ok I so fractured my fibula above my ankle (left leg) in Jan and had to get it operated 2 days later. They inserted a metal plate + 6 screws to fix the fracture and 2 long screws going across to hold the fibula and tibia. Just started walking 2 weeks ago, was non weight bearing for 10+ weeks. Going for physio twice a week but I feel the recovery is pretty slow. It is really frustrating because I went from being a guy who could sprint a 100 m is less than 13 seconds to someone who can barely walk without limping.
Does anyone know how long does it take to get back to running ( and playing soccer in my case) ? Also any tips to fasten the healing process ?
cheers and happy easter
Personally, when I had my implant in, running was incredibly painful. The implant created a pounding pressure sensation every time my foot made contact with the ground. After a while, it felt like it was ready to burst out of my skeleton.

Now I can kind of run (a little), since having the implant removed. My foot doesn't really know where to go though (hard to find the ground with severed nerves), so my gait is obviously not as efficient as a normal gait.

Best aspirations for your recovery.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdonna View Post
I am new to this form, I broke Fibula, Tibia, sprial fracture and shattered my ankle the day before Christmas falling down my backyard stairs. I knew I did something bad soon as I fell and strted screeming for my husband. I had surgery, my doctor put a plate and pins in my ankle hurts and my knee still hurts the worst. I tried to put weight on the leg two weeks ago and my ankle swelled up and turned black and blue. so I went back to resting and I am just now putting tiny bits of weight on it.
my question is does anyone else have bad knee and ankle pain?
I have bad knee and ankle pain, and it's probably never going to get much better (according to my doctor). I believe him, but I like to hope otherwise.

It's a little bit better after having the hardware removed; it was in my case, at least.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 6,546 times
This post is great and I have a deep feelings with everyone with their injuries as going through this myself at the moment.

Just a little background information to my injury.
I am in my mid 30th sustained initial open break of tibia and fibula while on skiing accident and had external fixator on my leg with additional plastic surgery to cover the wound with a muscle flap and skin graft. Everything was going well and after 3 weeks I fell in my house and broke tibia in two more places. Then had another surgery and ended up with Taylor Spatial Frame on my leg and a lot of pins. Now after 3 more weeks I am going through recovery phase again and my doctor told me I can start putting 25% of weight on my leg already.

Overall experience is very daunting and require a lot of patience. I am still positive but have couple of problems with my leg getting swollen very quickly when I put it down and getting quite blue in colour. So I keep my leg mostly up all the time and will see my doctor about this problem soon. After reading online I see that swelling is quite common for this type of injury. So fingers crossed. I feel for everyone here and will post more on my recovery asap. God bless everyone with their healing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness