Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2012, 12:28 AM

8 posts, read 19,600 times

Advertisements

Thank you for your progress report. I find it helpful to see what others are going through and it reminds me that I am not alone. Especially at 2am, when I'm awake with pain feeling sorry for myself. I think I may be expecting it to heal and be pain free faster than it will actually take.

You are right, eveyone reacts and heals differently and the injuries are all a bit different, but it certianly gives me some excellent insight!

Hope every day is so much better for you...and it certainly helps having that saint waiting on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 12:41 AM

I know your post is from several months ago, but I'm reading through the posts and it is helping me. I had a bone tumor removed from the femur at the knee, then a bone graft. If I had an active day (even in the wheelchair), I would be very uncomfortable and my foot/ankle would swell. I would put it up and the swelling subided after a bit. Ice always helps!
Thanks for your post...even though it was a question, it helps me now, to realize I am not alone!

Old 10-24-2012, 01:05 AM

I too a new to this site and like you, felt good knowing I was not alone. Not that I wish pain and misery on anyone! I did not have a break, had a bone tumor removed and bone graft. This was the first site I found where people were posting somewhat similar situations and I too find it very helpful!

Old 10-24-2012, 02:43 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,438,415 times
My mom got a call from the orthopedic surgeon yesterday and she can put a little bit of weight on her leg but no more that 15 lbs, This was encouraging for her. November 2nd we will find out if she can put full weight on that leg. She's been standing on one leg leaning against the sink and washing her own hair, she still nedds help taking a shower but I help her with that and she uses a shower bench.She gets her self dressed, makes her own meals, she has even attempted to bake cookies.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:18 PM

5 posts, read 27,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
My mom got a call from the orthopedic surgeon yesterday and she can put a little bit of weight on her leg but no more that 15 lbs, This was encouraging for her. November 2nd we will find out if she can put full weight on that leg. She's been standing on one leg leaning against the sink and washing her own hair, she still nedds help taking a shower but I help her with that and she uses a shower bench.She gets her self dressed, makes her own meals, she has even attempted to bake cookies.
That's awesome news.

I'm suppose to be trialling one crutch now - finding it difficult as the nerves in my foot are so sore. My workmates sent me home yesterday cause I was that upset over the pain.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,701 times
Default broke fib

Hi guys
i just found this thread
I broke my fib in a football game
I thought I would be back in a few weeks, but it looks like i might miss the rest of the season
Ive been crying a lot lately, while i try to put on a brave face for my friends, its tough

Old 11-09-2012, 04:32 PM

3 posts, read 99,904 times
Smile Almost normal

It's almost a year to the day that I broke my tibia and fibula. I had a plate and about 10 screws in the fibula and a screw in my tibia. Never did see the x-rays. 8.1/2 weeks in nwb cast which was a nightmare as I live alone. Apart from the extreme pain and horrendous swelling, I had to depend on others which just about killed me. When the cast came off, I had weeks of physio and duly did my exercises three times a day. I had many black days and couldn't imagine I would ever be able to walk again. Well it took me 5 months before I could ditch the crutches but I had a terrible limp. The pain was awful and I planned every car journey in advance so I could park near my destination.

Now, there is still a little pain but it's very gradually easing. I don't think about the distance I have to walk, I just get on with it. I can walk upstairs with no problems and go downstairs normally just lightly holding the bannister. I still have a slight limp but am now confident this will go.

My heart goes out to all of you who are suffering. There were times I wanted to die. I am 62 and thought my life was over but I danced at my niece's wedding a few weeks ago. Don't give up. Keep working hardat physio/exercises (even when they're painful). It will pay off in the long run.

Good luck to all of you.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:28 AM

I am one month from into my surgery recovery. I'm still non-weight bearing, which gets frustrating. The crutches are somewhat dangerous to me-- I had a bad fall at home, 2 weeks post op, directly onto the leg and knee that was to have no weight bearing. Yep, cracked the knee cap...since it's just a crack and my leg is immobolized with a brace, the Dr. is just leaving it. Not sure if that is going to prolong my non-weight bearing time. Apparently, I did not damage the bone graft. I see the Dr. on Thursday, we will see what he says. So, the crutches are even more difficult, because my shoulder/arm really hurt after the fall and I can only handle the crutches for short distances in the house.

My range of motion with the knee sucks. I do my exercises at home, it's very painful (I'm at 63) I'm hoping for better progress soon If I start weight bearing, not sure how that will go if I cant bend my knee?!

Any ideas or experiences of how long my recovery time is going to be!??

Old 11-24-2012, 05:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,673 times
Default Dave - Cape Town, South Africa

I am 61 years old. I broke my left lower Tibia and Fibula about 1 inch from the ankle, after falling from a step ladder on Aug 11, 2012. Doctors called it a 'clay pot' fracture because of the shattering of the bones. In hospital for 5 weeks with external and internal fixations, then sent home to recuperate. I had terrible pain for the whole time in hospital and seriously wanted to die. Its now 3.5 months since the break and still not allowed weight bearing. Have tried weight bearing but the leg pain increased dramatically for a week. Have been told no weight bearing for at least 5 months and then expect 18 months recovery period after that. I am unable to flex my foot inwards past 90 degrees, so no hope yet of walking on that foot. During my op, the surgeon ran out of time (4.5 hours and 2 x tourniquet) and so did not do the bone graft to fill in the missing places in my bones. Instead used sterile cadaver bone, which apparently slows down healing considerably. I have to spend long periods on the sofa with leg elevated to reduce swelling. When the leg is down I get blood red colour in the foot, and have to elevate the leg to drain the blood. The top of my foot is numb due to damaged nerves, and the underside of the foot has ‘pins & needles’ when I move around on the crutches too much. Have been told I can drive, and so have been going to work for half days, but by the time I get home the foot is very swollen and sore, and I take panado tabs for the pain. I have another xray next week, and if the bones have not started knitting properly, then the surgeon is going to ask me to buy an ultrasonic wave machine, that helps bone growth. Its quite expensive, about $2000 in South Africa ($1000 in USA) – we always pay more here. I would like to hear from anyone else that had a similar situation. Everyone out there, keep positive, eventually you get your life back.

Last edited by Stingraydave; 11-24-2012 at 05:17 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 01-03-2013, 09:56 AM

8 posts, read 74,914 times
Default 10 months post op update

Hi all! Happy New Year! I hope we all have a better year this year. Want to post a quick update and ask for updates from anyone who is 10+ months post op. I'm a bit discouraged at this point.

Suffered compound fracture of tib/fib 10 months ago. Had 3 plates and 20 screws. Healed perfectly and timely. I was still in a lot of pain after 8 months so my doctor advised me to remove the hardware. Had surgery and was nwb for just another week after. Went back to work 2 weeks after surgery. It's been about 2 months since that surgery and my doctor said I'm fully healed. However, I'm still in pain. The pain is significantly better and i do have more flexibility, so i am glad i had the HW removed. But it gets stiff and just hurts. I'm still taking painkillers for the pain. Anyone else out there still have pain after they removed the hardware? How much longer should I expect to be in pain?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness