Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 09:05 PM

7 posts, read 33,438 times

Advertisements

Horsewoman, just curious how come you can start to drive from week 7, which leg was injured? Maybe it's left leg? Mine is right leg, am very hesitant to start drive sooner even really dream to drive today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 09:40 PM

275 posts, read 430,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPoorLeg View Post
Did you see PT for healing process? My incision is 11" , it was very pain for a few of hours after surgery, I almost felt my nerve system was broken down.
Since you have some other complication, you may take some longer to fully recover, but from your post you are very strong, I am sure you can manage it.
Good luck!
My PT told me at least 9 months recovery time. I'm just so out of shape now from not walking much these past months. Plus I was not in good shape to begin with. I had an easier time when I did both hip replacements at the same time. That was not as painful.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:00 PM

8 posts, read 74,914 times
Quote:
Horsewoman, just curious how come you can start to drive from week 7, which leg was injured? Maybe it's left leg? Mine is right leg, am very hesitant to start drive sooner even really dream to drive today!
It's my right leg. I used my left leg to break and only go 2 miles max. I was nervous at first but it is actually not too bad. Are you partial weight bearing? If so, it doesn't take a lot of pressure to step on the gas pedal. Practice somewhere to try it out.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:28 PM

Default Encouraging!

Thanks for the info. Actually some time when I took long interstate driving, I used right and left foot alternatively for relaxing. But since my injury I haven't
driven even once, I can put 15 lb on my right foot safely now, but just yet to figure out how much force I need to put my right foot on gas pedal, surely using left foot for brake is no issue. We have a Lexus SUV.
By the way, your OS must have given you a green light for PWB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsewoman View Post
It's my right leg. I used my left leg to break and only go 2 miles max. I was nervous at first but it is actually not too bad. Are you partial weight bearing? If so, it doesn't take a lot of pressure to step on the gas pedal. Practice somewhere to try it out.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Actually some time when I took long interstate driving, I used right and left foot alternatively for relaxing. But since my injury I haven't
driven even once, I can put 15 lb on my right foot safely now, but just yet to figure out how much force I need to put my right foot on gas pedal, surely using left foot for brake is no issue. We have a Lexus SUV.
By the way, your OS must have given you a green light for PWB?
I have been 50% weight bearing for 1.5 weeks now. For sure pressing the gas pedal is no where near 15 lbs so you'll be fine. I drive VW Toureg and it takes very little pressure. I am slowly gaining my independence back. It feels great!

Old 04-29-2012, 12:40 AM

Congratulation, you seem recovering pretty fast, good for you! We have a saying that without a car just like with no foots. By the way, Do you use walker? Using wheelchair isn't practical to drive alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsewoman View Post
I have been 50% weight bearing for 1.5 weeks now. For sure pressing the gas pedal is no where near 15 lbs so you'll be fine. I drive VW Toureg and it takes very little pressure. I am slowly gaining my independence back. It feels great!

Old 04-29-2012, 08:47 AM

I am on crutches. I am making a good recovery. I wouldn't have thought so a few weeks ago.

Quote:
Congratulation, you seem recovering pretty fast, good for you! We have a saying that without a car just like with no foots. By the way, Do you use walker? Using wheelchair isn't practical to drive alone.
I have to comment on my leg today. It is much less swollen today than it has ever been. I saw a huge improvement that started yesterday. Pain is significantly better too. The improvement was very sudden which I am so grateful for. What a relief!

Old 04-30-2012, 05:37 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
The swelling is normal for a year or so after the surgery and it may come and go.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,440 times
Hi, I broke my leg 6.5 weeks ago...I fell off an indo board in uni and broke my tib, fib and ankle (5 breaks in total), I had a plate put in my leg and 14 screws. I was meant to have my cast off 4 days ago but my bones hadn't healed at all in the 6 weeks since my operation so I am still completely non weight bearing. Wondered if this had happened to anyone else and if there are any suggestions for anything to speed up the process? I kind of need to hear some good recovery stories because at the moment, the chances of me walking any day soon are slim Thanks x

Old 05-16-2012, 07:55 AM

Default Update...

Well it's been 10 weeks since my compound fracture. Saw the OS and my X-ray show enough healing to be full weight bearing. It hurts to walk on it but the doc said that it's good pain, just the ligaments stretching and muscles building. The ankle is still very stiff and I cannot walk completely straight but that will come. I am really happy to be almost completely recovered. I still have a lot of swelling, but that will get better with time. I have found some decent looking compression socks that help a lot. Great to have my life back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness