Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 05:25 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,438,415 times

Advertisements

Update As of January 3rd 2013 my mom is driving and finally back to work. She is using a cane now and still going for physical therapy. Her next Dr. appointment is on January 15th. She had made great progress, she showers on her own since November but uses a shower chair now instead of the shower bench she used when she first came home. She has practiced going up and down stairs. So far so good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsewoman View Post
Hi all! Happy New Year! I hope we all have a better year this year. Want to post a quick update and ask for updates from anyone who is 10+ months post op. I'm a bit discouraged at this point.

Suffered compound fracture of tib/fib 10 months ago. Had 3 plates and 20 screws. Healed perfectly and timely. I was still in a lot of pain after 8 months so my doctor advised me to remove the hardware. Had surgery and was nwb for just another week after. Went back to work 2 weeks after surgery. It's been about 2 months since that surgery and my doctor said I'm fully healed. However, I'm still in pain. The pain is significantly better and i do have more flexibility, so i am glad i had the HW removed. But it gets stiff and just hurts. I'm still taking painkillers for the pain. Anyone else out there still have pain after they removed the hardware? How much longer should I expect to be in pain?

Thanks
You had the HW removed?? I thought that was permanent??? I have never heard of anyone removing the HW. glad you are healing and feeling better.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,578 times
I completely understand. I was just at home sitting down on the floor watching television. I tried to get up first on my right leg. I heard. A pop and I slowly lowerd myself back on the floor. I tried to get up again and I couldn't. I yelled for my 13 year old daughter to call 911 because I couldn't get off the floor. I knew something was wrong. The ambulance came and took me to community north hospital. Sure enough I fracture my right fibula tibula and ankle. This happen a day before my bday. I had surgery on my bday. I got a plate and 10 screws in my fibula and a plat and 10 screws in tibia from the mid shaft5 of the b one to my ankle. I was in the hospital for3 days. Right now my cast been on for4 moths. I'm just counting down the days it will be off. Pray for me!!!!!

Old 01-14-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusre parsons View Post
I completely understand. I was just at home sitting down on the floor watching television. I tried to get up first on my right leg. I heard. A pop and I slowly lowerd myself back on the floor. I tried to get up again and I couldn't. I yelled for my 13 year old daughter to call 911 because I couldn't get off the floor. I knew something was wrong. The ambulance came and took me to community north hospital. Sure enough I fracture my right fibula tibula and ankle. This happen a day before my bday. I had surgery on my bday. I got a plate and 10 screws in my fibula and a plat and 10 screws in tibia from the mid shaft5 of the b one to my ankle. I was in the hospital for3 days. Right now my cast been on for4 moths. I'm just counting down the days it will be off. Pray for me!!!!!
Wow! Just from getting up off of the floor? I hope you feel better. My mom did not get a cast she had her leg wrapped in ace bandages and then a bledsoe brace over that. She is back to work now and driving but it's tough after being home for 4 months.She spent 4 days in the hospital and 4 weeks in rehab.She manages well and even managed on her own after she came home from rehab. She did not want me to stay with her because she wanted to try it on her own and she did.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,474 times
Default New to this broken world !

Hi all....I broke me fib/tib 2 weeks ago playing Rugby. I had surgery the next day and a 10 hole plate inserted. Had the staples out yesterday and its more comfortable but not expecting weight bearing for at least 4 more weeks. Am in an immobilizer brace, which the OS set to 45 degrees of movement yesterday. I start PT 3 days a week at home and have already had some exercises to do. The swelling has gone down a lot, but I have had pain in my knee which I never expected...it has swollen up too. The worst part has been the depression / frustration. I was extremely fit, training everyday in boot amps, gyms, running, swimming etc..so am hoping for a smooth recovery....so far no infections etc. ..it's just so frustrating. But having read a lot of your stories, it's amazing to see how resilient people are. You never ever give in...ever..... In the coming months/ years, we will all eventually heal 100%. Keep your heads up.....no matter how hard it may seem,vase are all in a better place that those with advanced cancers or hear disease ! Keep the faith people !

Old 02-20-2013, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,457 times
My daughter broke the little bone in her lower leg on Oct. 6. It has been 4 months now and has not healed any. Dr. tells us as long as it is not bothering her too much she can still play softball. Has anybody ever had this to happen to them and how did you get your leg to heal?

Old 02-21-2013, 03:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,443 times
hello fellow breakers. i have broken both ankles, 26 years apart, had screws in both, 4 small, 1 big, the 1st time and 5 small ,2 big , this time. i just had my screws removed from the most recent surgery. hey, the doc said i can walk on it only to the bathroom and back. im 24 hours post surgery. MUCH better already and it was such an improvement on the other removal, also. to anyone out there wondering whether to have them out, or not, i can say both times it was such an improvement to me. please, people, pray for me. ive had such a time carrying myself around on one leg and im getting too old for this crap. im now 59. i hope and pray i never break another bone as long as i live. also had a broken arm when i was 8 yrs old. for your information, i broke my arm by being thrown from a mean pony, then it stomped on my arm, and my 1st broken leg was wierd, i was walking down the street, a car came by, and lost a whole wheel, and the wheel hit me. i had other damages from that, a concusion, whiplash, and a hurt arm. almost bled to death out my head. but, hey, i lived long enough to break another day. good luck to all of you, I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL !

Old 02-21-2013, 08:39 PM

My mom now has a stress line fracture which is due to the way she began walking with a cane. The doctor is keeping watch on it and she goes back in April. There is not much they can do at this point. She is walking, driving, going up and down stairs.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 4,770 times
Default shattered calcaneous

I shattered my calcaneus (heel) about 11 weeks ago. I have 5 pins, a plate and 5 long screws in my foot. I still cant put weight on it. Yes, I agree with some that injury's like these are life changing. I cant wait to start exercising again!. As soon as doctor says walk I am going to begin swimming daily. My calf muscle is so atrophied and I feel overall out of shape. My foot still turns purple when I walk around with walker. I don't know if that's good or bad. It goes back to normal when I prop it back up in bed. I have a removable boot that is quite heavy and cumbersome, so I leave it off when I sleep. (hope thats ok too). The pain from this surgery /accident was almost unbearable. It is much better now, it only throbs at night or if its going to rain. I have a built in weather meter .
I hope everyone out there with a foot/leg injury know that there is hope and you will heal....with patience and diligence.
Being dependent does suck although for me it makes me appreciate my health and family and friends all the more. Lots of books and movies help too. Best of Luck to everyone out there with limited mobility and God Bless!!!!

Old 02-23-2013, 11:05 AM

2 posts, read 4,770 times
It will heal and you will play again if you want to!!!! Be patient I know its hard but "squeeze your gut" as a friend told me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness