Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 12:38 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,724,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuenoQueHacemohAhora View Post
Oh no, either I misstated what I meant, or you misunderstood. I meant to bring up that she could have a legitimate reason outside of mere convenience and not even know it. Ultimately She should be discussing her issues with a doctor/health proffesional, that I do encourage her to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 12:44 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintleif View Post
I'm 16.
Advice to someone as young as you needs to be tempered with a great deal of caution since you're way, way to young now to make this kind of life altering choice.

My advice is wait until you're at least 30 before you choose to decline to pass on your genes.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:21 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Periods get less crazy after 18 for a lot of people too even without any BC. A vasectomy and does not even come close to what a hysterectomy does. You can have a complication from that and be randomly peeing yourself and need surgical repair (fistula). Prolapsed vagina. Facial Hair. Bone thinning. etc.

I think by your responses you need to talk to a therapist. You wishes and responses are not healthy or normal.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:55 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times
Something else was mentioned as well. The idea of not needing an internal pelvic exam. I am assuming that the OP would like to keep her vagina, though at this point maybe there is something else going on and the answer is no?

I had surgical menopause 13 years ago. Uterus/cervix and ovaries. And if they don't take the ovaries you still have a hormonal cycle, just no bleeding.

I still have to get internal exams and they take a vaginal cuff smear every 5 years....the exam is a reality that very few women like but men get poked other places, too.

Last edited by grannynancy; 03-26-2010 at 03:18 PM..

Old 03-26-2010, 03:10 PM

745 posts, read 1,648,516 times
A hysterectomy could possible leave you unable to have sex.
It has been know to happen that the Doctor closes up the area to much, leaving the woman with a very small vagina. And there goes your sex life.

You are in charge of your body, and you have to take the responsibility for bad decisions.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:24 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,815,728 times
It seems to me that there might be deeper issues here than meets the eye. Her desire to not have exams, stop her periods and her absolute stance on not having kids seems a bit strong for someone her age. I'm not saying it's not her right to do what she wants (heaven knows there are enough unwanted children out there) but this decision could be life altering. I also thought at age 16 that I would be a single career woman with no marriage and kids in my future, yet two years later I met my future husband and all that changed.

If the OP has been traumatized in some way, like abuse, then it is important that she seek therapy first before making any tramatic decision like a hysterectomy. I would think any competent doctor would recommend the same if she presented her wishes to him/her. Also, seeking her answers from a forum makes me wonder if she has any supportive adults in her life who could help her through this.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:32 PM

253 posts, read 794,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I think by your responses you need to talk to a therapist. You wishes and responses are not healthy or normal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Something else was mentioned as well. The idea of not needing an internal pelvic exam. I am assuming that the OP would like to keep her vagina, though at this point maybe there is something else going on and the answer is no?

I didn't realize I was that obvious. I actually want to get a sex change, as I feel I should've been a man, but from the research i've done I know that bottom surgery just isn't that great. So i'm still trying to decide if I should go ahead and see a transition therapist when i'm 18 and get started on testosterone as soon as possible or just continue cross dressing(as best I can without giving myself away to family...they wouldn't understand) and get rid of my period and possibly the ability to have kids(I'd do both if I transitioned).

Old 03-26-2010, 03:37 PM

253 posts, read 794,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway29south View Post
It seems to me that there might be deeper issues here than meets the eye. Her desire to not have exams, stop her periods and her absolute stance on not having kids seems a bit strong for someone her age. I'm not saying it's not her right to do what she wants (heaven knows there are enough unwanted children out there) but this decision could be life altering. I also thought at age 16 that I would be a single career woman with no marriage and kids in my future, yet two years later I met my future husband and all that changed.

If the OP has been traumatized in some way, like abuse, then it is important that she seek therapy first before making any tramatic decision like a hysterectomy. I would think any competent doctor would recommend the same if she presented her wishes to him/her. Also, seeking her answers from a forum makes me wonder if she has any supportive adults in her life who could help her through this.
Well, there is definitly more to the story, just read my post above this one. But i've never been abused and as for supportive adults....my parents are old fashioned and wouldn't understand (I had to fight them just to let me get my hair cut really short).

Old 03-26-2010, 04:39 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times
I think your best bet is to reach out to the transgendered community as they may have the kind of information and support you need to help you.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:34 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I think your best bet is to reach out to the transgendered community as they may have the kind of information and support you need to help you.
I agree. Now that the OP has told us more of the story, we see more clearly her request for information.

I would also say to mintleif that finding a therapist (psychological counselor) would be invaluable to you in the process of getting what you want. Your parents may well be willing to pay for it without you having to explain everything to them. You could just give them the short version: something like you feel the need to talk to a professional because you are having identity issues or something. It wouldn't be a lie; you would be temporarily avoiding an issue that is sure to start an eruption within your family. Plus, a competent counselor would be able to help you find a way to share your news with your family at the right time and in a non-threatening manner. (Your desire to appear or be the opposite gender would probably be threatening to them.)

There must be free counseling available in most places, you might want to start there if you need to.

It's worth a try, anyway. I surely wouldn't want to appear to be telling you what to do... it's just food for thought. And I give you credit for reaching out in possibly one of the only ways that seem safe to you. At least you are trying to gather information so you can make good decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness