Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 03:41 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,174,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Nope. A child of immigrants has no roots in the United States - no family from the United States. They usually think of themselves as foreign.

When asked where they are from, they say they're from some other country.
Have you talked to any real life children of immigrants?
Most of them would be offended by the question "where are you from" and would insist that they're from the city they're born and raised. By the third generation they would lose their native language and whatever religion and custom the first generation brought with them.

I also don't get where you get the idea that Italian Americans whose great grand parents moved here still identify with Italian culture. Most of the time the only way I can tell if someone has Italian heritage is by their last name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 03:41 PM

491 posts, read 324,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
I'm a black American! Look at you with these assumptions.
Some people are trying to make this a race thing - it is not. The AA are as American an apple pie, from day 1 to now. This comes down to roots, not race.

Old 11-19-2018, 03:59 PM

3,852 posts, read 2,228,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Have you talked to any real life children of immigrants? Most of them would be offended by the question "where are you from" and would insist that they're from the city they're born and raised.
Are you serious? I'm surrounded by them everyday. New Yorkers.

They speak of themselves like they're from some other country - like they have nothing to do with the United States.

A typical question initiated by them is "Where are from? What's your nationality?", and the assumption is that everyone is really from some place else. You can't tell them your an American and identify with one of the states. They don't even understand the concept that there are people who are from this country.

Last edited by Tritone; 11-19-2018 at 04:52 PM..

Old 11-19-2018, 04:00 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleiron1968 View Post
A people united neither by heritage or shared experience have very weak bonds. No?
no.

and most people have a shared experience.

If you are born here or legally take the oath of citizenship you are a "real" american.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:02 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,485,114 times
Quote:
The space doesn't allow for the full title I wanted. But essentially do you (your forefathers) have had to have played a role in the nations key formative events. I placed 1865 as the cut off as the CW is the definitive event in US history. I mean to truly be from the US does the likes of Lexington and Concord have to mean something to you?

Essentially, unless you have connections to such epic events are you not less American than those who shaped the nation. It follows that 'real Americans' (not hyphened) are inevitably rooted in Western Europe and the AA population.

Just a thought exercise. The US is becoming too far detatched from what made it 'America'.
Gee, why did you happen to choose 1865? What could it possibly be?

That was the real start of the erosion of the white/male/straight/Christian dominance of America. Don't like it? (rhetorical question, for you obviously don't)

Too bad!

Old 11-19-2018, 04:11 PM

491 posts, read 324,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Gee, why did you happen to choose 1865? What could it possibly be?

That was the real start of the erosion of the white/male/straight/Christian dominance of America. Don't like it? (rhetorical question, for you obviously don't)

Too bad!
I chose 1865 *ONLY* as it was the cut off of the great shaping event of US history. Those in the land before that played a role in US formative history. Nothing to do with what your insinuating. My posting history *PROVES* I just don't think in those terms.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:18 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
I'm intrigued about why you would choose the cut off as 1865 and then proceed to bring up Lexington and Concord, which kicked off the Revolutionary War just shy of a century earlier.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:45 PM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Quote:
This comes down to roots, not race.
It comes down to shared values and respect for one another and the willingness to hang together as Americans. One's ancestry or roots or race are not part of the equation. If you think that those things matter most of all then you are not a "real" American.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:12 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,880,867 times
Another going nowhere topic,,good night.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:30 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,576,544 times
anyone who is a u.s. legal resident is an american. my parents are literally card carrying members of that club. they literally have american permanent resident i.d.'s (the beige and burgandy cards). the old green cards were labeled as u.s. legal alien i.d.'s which sound like they dont belong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History