Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2010, 10:27 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

Hint continuation: . . . . but doesn't exist anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 04:27 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,023,616 times
Tomas Masaryk, the first President of Czechoslovakia?

Old 02-09-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Tomas Masaryk, the first President of Czechoslovakia?
Correct. Your turn.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:17 AM

My father died when I was very young, and I'm not known by his last name, but by the name my mother adopted when she remarried a few years later. I went to military school and was regarded as a rising star in the Army, which sent me to Mexico, the Phillipines, Siberia, and Paris, where I met my wife. I had serious disagreements with the way the Army was being run, and when I went public with my complaints, the top brass turned against me and I left the Army.

I made a living first as a writer, then went into syndication and then publishing. I pioneered a new area in publishing, and had a difficult time in the beginning. I had to get financing from some unscrupulous people. The business survived and was beginning to thrive, and just when I was about to publish another new innovation, my erstwhile financier-partners maneuvered me into bankruptcy and took the company away from me. The innovation went out under their aegis instead of mine. It's still world-famous and has generated billions of dollars in revenue, of which I shared not a penny. I went back to being a freelance writer for the rest of my life.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:35 AM

Hint: the "innovation" I almost published was a trend-setting fictional character. This character has been featured in movies, TV, radio, comic strips, comic books, animated cartoons and thousands of licensed products. The two creators of the character were also victims of the people who took my publishing company. Four decades after the character's debut, the two were destitute old men when a public campaign by fans and fellow creators shamed the company into giving the duo a pension.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:10 AM

Sounds like the Warner deal with Siegel and Schuser of "Superman", but I can't find a single figure that meets your criteria. Jay Emmett?

Old 02-11-2010, 10:16 AM

You're on the right track... look up the company listed as the "precursor" to the publisher of Superman.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:51 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson, creator of DC comics...Good one!

Old 02-11-2010, 11:09 AM

That's the one!

By the way, recent interviews with Wheeler-Nicholson's children have contradicted the long-standing story that he had no involvement with Superman. The children remember seeing the pages and hearing him talk about the character. They may even have correspondence between Wheeler-Nicholson and Siegel & Shuster about Superman. He was working on putting the first issue of Action Comics together, with Superman on the cover, when Donenfeld & Liebowitz lowered the boom.

You're up!

Old 02-11-2010, 11:14 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
As a young man I tried my hand at several business including general store owner, lottery operator, and newspaper owner. After lotteries were banned in my state I moved to New York, where with a woman who was claimed to have a connection to George Washington I began a new line of work.

By the time I was 31 years old I owned and operated a building, that for 24 years was one of the most popular attractions of the time. After the demise of this, I served two terms as a state legislator.

At 61 years of age I lent my name and financial backing to a new business venture that would be my longest lasting claim to fame. Part of the success of this company was due the pioneering usage of a newer form of transportation that allowed me to reach a larger national market. After my death, my company was sold to my main competitor after which the name was combined with the name of their company---under this name it still exists today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History