Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 02:11 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times

Advertisements

Did you score it first with a paper tiger?

I found that essential when I removed mine. Score it, saturate it and then the first layer came off after soaking for a half hour or so. Then I scored the second layer and repeated the process.

Its not hard. Just tedious and very messy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 03:20 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,025,035 times
thank you. I did not score it at first, but after I applied the softener. I'll try scoring first.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:50 PM

170 posts, read 581,739 times
For 12 grand, I'll do it!

Old 02-07-2008, 06:07 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I have stripped thousands of square feet of wallpaper, much of it multiple layers covered with paint. It is not hard at all. I think it is kind of fun sometimes. I have tried about every product out there. I liked the steamer for unpainted wallpaper, but it is a pain to get out, set up and clean up. With DIF you can set up in minutes, and be off doing something else while it soaks in in less than half an hour. You should probably protect your floors with tarps, but I spilled a lot of DIF on hardwood and never had any marks as long as I wiped it up right away. No guarantees that you will not have a problem though. Probably better not to risk it. In some cases, if you are going to remove old carpeting, just spray away. The carpeting can be a drop cloth for you.

DIF spraying is faster and required less labor on your part than steaming because a garden sprayer can soak a wall in minutes. If you have to use the paper tiger, then it is about the same amount of work as steaming.

You will not mark up the wall with a putty knife because you hardly need one. You will mar it up with the paper tiger if you are not careful, but those dings fill in with a couple of coats of a dense primer.

DIF worked every time on every kind of wallpaper. The two caveats are that you must use a paper tiger if your wallpaper is painted or water resistant. You also must use hot water and spray twice or more at least half an hour apart. I guess that is three.
I have to agree with you. At our old house, the people that lived there before us had the brilliant idea to wallpaper the kitchen ceiling as well as the walls!

Over Christmas break one year we decided to tear it down. We had a blast doing it -- we actually used a paint roller to work the DIF into the ceiling wallpaper and most of it came off easily. It was really rewarding -- and a lot less expensive -- to take the wall paper down ourselves, wash, patch, and sand the walls (and ceiling) and then paint.

You can do it!!

Old 02-08-2008, 07:19 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,025,035 times
$12G a little stiff for this poor ole soutern yankee but thanks just the same.

I used the tiger scorer dealy, downey fabric softerner, and a paint scraper. Let's just say that the scraper did the brunt of the work. Did I mention my arm. So my neighbor heard me swearing, stopped by to see what I was doing, and gave me his steamer. OMG - what a difference. I'm steaming along. Quite literally.

Although... there are some stubborn spots on the bottom of each wall that refuse to budge. I think they were cemented in place. Boy I hate crummy builders.

I should be finished tomorrow. Hurrah.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:55 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
If the wallpaper were put up reasonably with cellulose, it should come up fine. trick I've found is to wet it slowly, the whole point is to reactivate the cellulose, not saturate the dry wall. Takes time but saves big on redecorating.

My aunt used liquid nails with her hideous vinyl wallpaper- not so nice! I got by skimcoating over the torn up drywall. The wall nearly needed replacement. That job was probablly a good candidate for paint over with oil base paint in hindsight.

moms solution to her oil splatters near the stove was to cover it up with contact paper. gawd what a nightmare. she's forbidden to buy it ever ever ever again!

Old 02-10-2008, 05:50 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
$12G a little stiff for this poor ole soutern yankee but thanks just the same.

I used the tiger scorer dealy, downey fabric softerner, and a paint scraper. Let's just say that the scraper did the brunt of the work. Did I mention my arm. So my neighbor heard me swearing, stopped by to see what I was doing, and gave me his steamer. OMG - what a difference. I'm steaming along. Quite literally.

Although... there are some stubborn spots on the bottom of each wall that refuse to budge. I think they were cemented in place. Boy I hate crummy builders.

I should be finished tomorrow. Hurrah.
I had that problem using DIF when I did nto wait long enough after spraying and/or did not respray ten minutes before starting to scrape.

I am amazed that people are having trouble. I removed tons of wall paper in two full houses, one room in another house and helped friends in three others. Never had much trouble at all, even with multiple layers covered by eight or more coats of paint. I wonder why? Different glues?

Old 06-08-2008, 02:12 AM

1 posts, read 6,400 times
Default Skimming

I've removed all the wallpaper from the plasterboard walls in my house, and I'm getting bids from plasterers to do the skimming. One guy says he will first paint the walls with an oil-based sealer, another says he doesn't use sealer, but will sand the walls before applying plaster. Which of these is the "approved" method?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating