Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 03:07 PM

470 posts, read 1,841,819 times

Advertisements

i wish the previous owner of our home had taken the time to remove the border that is in the kitchen--which probably wasn't his, but the previous owner before him, but either way, like everything else in the house we're discovering, he took A LOT of shortcuts or didn't bother being neat (you should see the "paint job" through out the house--i would post pix, if i remembered to take my camera before we started painting over his mess). the PO painted over the border and now, its up to us to remove it. it's going to take some time, but the end result will be worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 05:57 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,664,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Some wallpaper does not come off without taking the drywall with it. When we moved into our home 10 months ago, I was assured the blue and pink large flowered wallpaper in our large dining room would come off - we bought several products, including DIF - we soaked with warm water and vinegar - we bought another product that the paint store owner advised us to buy - nothing worked and we did lots of damage to the drywall....fortunately we only did one section of the wall - all the wallpaper is above the chair rail.

We got a reference for an experienced wallpaper hanger - when he saw our walls, he started laughing - told us that none of the homes in our area had wallpaper that could be removed without damage. He had repapered many of those homes. He repaired the drywall and re-wallpapered with a beautiful neutral paper that we actually love.

If wallpaper is tightly adhered, the seams can be sanded and mudded slightly and sanded and then primed and painted and it looks fine - when we had the interior of our house painted, the painter said that most of our painted walls had wallpaper under them - you really can't tell.

I've also worked in two large historic house museums - both had painted wallpaper in several of the elegant rooms - people have painted over wallpaper for over 100 years.

I agree. I prefer to remove the wallpaper.. but absolutely couldn't without damaging the walls. Like you said, I had the seams spackled or mudded and painted over it. It looks fine and I had heard that the corners or whatever will start peeling, etc. This has not happened. So yes.. it can be done.. but if you can remove the paper... do that.. its always best... but sometimes you just can't.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,068 times
I've seen it and it dont look that bad. I've done it and its a pain. I'm too old,too tired to take on that task again in life ,so i'm gonna dry wall and paint. Thank you all for helping me make that decision.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:56 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,430,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Some wallpaper does not come off without taking the drywall with it. When we moved into our home 10 months ago, I was assured the blue and pink large flowered wallpaper in our large dining room would come off - we bought several products, including DIF - we soaked with warm water and vinegar - we bought another product that the paint store owner advised us to buy - nothing worked and we did lots of damage to the drywall....fortunately we only did one section of the wall - all the wallpaper is above the chair rail.

We got a reference for an experienced wallpaper hanger - when he saw our walls, he started laughing - told us that none of the homes in our area had wallpaper that could be removed without damage. He had repapered many of those homes. He repaired the drywall and re-wallpapered with a beautiful neutral paper that we actually love.

If wallpaper is tightly adhered, the seams can be sanded and mudded slightly and sanded and then primed and painted and it looks fine - when we had the interior of our house painted, the painter said that most of our painted walls had wallpaper under them - you really can't tell.

I've also worked in two large historic house museums - both had painted wallpaper in several of the elegant rooms - people have painted over wallpaper for over 100 years.
We have painted wall paper in our hallway and baths, and you can't tell.

I was very surprised when I took paper off in a room here and the ,what I thought was plaster was coming off the wall.
In the UK sheetrock is always completely plastered over to a depth of around quarter of an inch.
2 layers, last one being a finishing skim.
No probs taking wall paper off there. I had focal wallpapered walls in all my rooms. I miss not using it, and it's very popular over there, but I know some people hate it here because it damages the walls when it comes off.
I wonder if you actually have plasterers here?
Solution would be to plaster the wall first and then wallpaper over so changing it out wouldn't be a problem.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:34 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
We have painted wall paper in our hallway and baths, and you can't tell.

I was very surprised when I took paper off in a room here and the ,what I thought was plaster was coming off the wall.
In the UK sheetrock is always completely plastered over to a depth of around quarter of an inch.
2 layers, last one being a finishing skim.
No probs taking wall paper off there. I had focal wallpapered walls in all my rooms. I miss not using it, and it's very popular over there, but I know some people hate it here because it damages the walls when it comes off.
I wonder if you actually have plasterers here?
Solution would be to plaster the wall first and then wallpaper over so changing it out wouldn't be a problem.
Of course we have plasterers here, do you think we are all a bunch of heathens?
That being said, the only time I would not attempt to paint over wallpaper would be when the paper is that nasty vinyl type, the kind that has more than one layer.
I'm working on a house right now that has that, and then was painted over without skimcoating first.....what a pain!
The entire first floor is going to have to be skimcoated.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:48 PM

26 posts, read 73,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctx View Post
Has anyone done this, and what are the pros and cons of it? What if the paper starts to peel up as time goes on - can it still be removed or is it incredibly difficult? Are you bound to just gluing down seems for years to come if it peels up? I dont want "tacky" or unsightly, but someone has recommended this to me and I wanted to ask your opinions. Thanks.
I'd say don't do it. When I bought my house, someone painted over all fo the wallpaper in the upstairs hall. And repainted about 15 times is my guess. There are huge cracks and the paint is so thick on it that it just crumbles like old plaster, you can see all the lines and it's awful. I will eventually get to pulling it down, but will probably have to redrywall.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:52 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
The house I used to have, when the previous owners decorated with border, it was nailed on the wall with carpet tacks! Then my wife and I bought this house on contract. When the previous owner decided to paint the master bedroom he noticed he had plenty of the paint he painted the front door with...red! And we also noticed that the primer wasn't sticking to the paint. Wrong kind of paint!! 2 coats of primer and 3 of paint and you can't see the red any more! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating