Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2010, 08:44 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,923,525 times

Advertisements

I'm curious, where would you look? I'm positive wherever it is, the furniture isn't good quality.

Sourcing, "things," is not nearly the same as being a interior designer. The thing is, people equate budget with cheap, and they are in no way similar. Different things require adhering to a budget.

An upholstered chair alone will cost $1500 minimum. That's for the chair itself, not for the fabric or the labor. Let's say the fabric was found on sale for $70 a yard and this chair required 10 yards. We're at $2200. Okay, now you have to pay for upholstery. Conservatively, we'll say that he's charging $500. Our fabric didn't require a lot of matching, so he didn't have to work as hard. Okay, so grand total for your chair is $2700. What kind of delivery service are you going to have? Curbside or white glove.

Drapes for a window. Right off top, labor charges for one window will be $2000. Again, you gotta find fabric. You fall in love with this Kravet fabric that's $110 a yard. One panel requires 10 yards. You've got 4 windows in the living room so you need 8 panels. Okay, your draperies are going to be $16800. Don't forget hardware and installation.

I've done one chair and the windows and I've spent $20000.

Geez Louise- haven't you ever heard of Craigslist? I just brought home the most exquisite Hancock and Moore claret leather recliner in new condition for $375.00. If you really knew how to "source" you would have beat me to it- it was less than 40 miles from you- exit 109. Too bad.....so sad........ oh....and my delivery service was the back of my Lexus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 06:08 AM

759 posts, read 3,145,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Okay- I want to send a slap out (anyone remember mid 90s hip hop radio??) to Sabrina Soto. I swear to gawd she just did the stupidest staging even on Real Estate Intervnetion. Switched out a brass chandelier for a cheap Lowe's black/glass model to not 'date' a 120 year old row house. The took all the furniture out of a living room to give it a sense of space- because nothing says spacious like a room that only holds two arm chairs?? And she replaced some nice if semi-granny/cottage looking dishes on the wall with dishes that looked like they came 6 to a pack from Sams Club
I saw that show, too. What absolutely floored me was that the owners of that row house had that horrible "painting" with 3 broad stripes of color--I wouldn't even call it art.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:23 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,075,105 times
Sorry if this has been asked...

WHAT HAPPENED TO SUZANNE WHANG??

Old 12-16-2010, 02:19 PM

18,474 posts, read 31,648,692 times
Tonya Nyack talks like she has a nose full of mucus, it is so annoying.

..................and no my dear, everyone does NOT like built in's !!!

then new guy Brian on DIY disasters, is so cute so we watch him...

Holmes gets a little boring after an hour....................yawn !!!

Old 01-19-2011, 12:09 PM

674 posts, read 1,459,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
Line by line:

I was just throwing 20K out there are a random budget. Yes, I can afford to spend what a lot of people cannot, however in terms of true interior design, 20K on the low end for a living room. I'm not even talking about using well known designers here.

I don't mean to be, mean or anything, but I'm a realist.
Lulz.

You're spending 20k or more on ONE room... I can't imagine what you're spending on the rest of the house.

You're talking about spending more on decorating and designing than most people spend (or can spend) on their houses alone.

In other words... maybe 1% of people out there, if that, are spending even 10k on one room.

Just a little realism for ya.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:19 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,088,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
ME TOO!!! I just loved Moving Up. I hope they are making some new ones. I miss Doug. He is irreverent, snotty, and endearing, and he turned out some decent rooms, too. One of my favorite rooms on Trading Spaces was when he did the zebra striped floor.
ditto

Old 01-19-2011, 12:37 PM

18,474 posts, read 31,648,692 times
my new favorite is Bryan, the man is just pleaseant to listen to and has a dry sense of humor, I like him.

Sabrina Soto is pretty to look at so I like her too.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:54 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,093,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Okay- I want to send a slap out (anyone remember mid 90s hip hop radio??) to Sabrina Soto. I swear to gawd she just did the stupidest staging even on Real Estate Intervnetion. Switched out a brass chandelier for a cheap Lowe's black/glass model to not 'date' a 120 year old row house. The took all the furniture out of a living room to give it a sense of space- because nothing says spacious like a room that only holds two arm chairs?? And she replaced some nice if semi-granny/cottage looking dishes on the wall with dishes that looked like they came 6 to a pack from Sams Club.

I know we like a good flaming argument here- but can we agree that cheaping down a house with marginal if current items is not going to attract someone shopping 100+ year old homes in a city. If they wanted the burbs they would shop the burbs. So my slap for today goes to Miss Soto.
Brass is out and no one want's Grandma's dishes in the built-ins. The house is staged for potential buyers and depending where the house is, that could be a 20- or 30-something couple or young professionals. Soto was just "updating" a house. That's the hot thing now -- the super-cool architecture of old matched up with the clean, streamlined, modern look of today.

I agree with you all the way though about cheap crap--we own a 1930s Arts & Crafts and like the mix of historical periods. We have alot of antique and vintage furniture and accessories but don't want the house looking stodgy.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:40 PM

430 posts, read 1,695,227 times
I like Sabrina Soto, think she's friendly and would be easy to work with, and she's cute too. :-) Glad the got rid of that chubby red-headed muscle man she used to do the shows with long ago. Nothing personable about him.

LOVED Buy Me! Wish they would make more of those.

Property Virgins' Sandra R. is irritating. Is it accurate that Canada, or at least some parts of Canada, is experiencing a bubble like the States had a few years ago? Its been such a buyer's market in the states for a few years now and she seems to push buyers to pay full price or more, acts like there is a lot of urgency, etc. Her attitude makes me think she's in California in 2005. ;-)

I'm enjoying the years-later updates on Trading Spaces on the Oprah's network. GAWD those Trading Spaces designers did some TERRIBLE stuff. I would never let them near my house. Did you see the entirely bright orange kitchen where they (badly) painted the appliances black? Boy those homeowners were good sports and hid how horrified they were.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:33 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,431,124 times
Haven't read through all the posts.
Does anyone else want to slap Mike Holmes

Can't bear the guy with the phoney English accent or Carter Oosterhouse.
Jodi Gilmour on For rent-her voice drives me crazy.

Some of Candices stuff
Scott off Income property
Genevieve
Sandra
Sarah Richardson, because you get to see the planning (architectural), work, sourcing and design input too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating