Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2009, 02:03 PM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times

Advertisements

Starr Jones did a weekly segment in New York City for a little while. Just terrible. Trying too hard, and sounding too "street."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 10:44 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
This Old House has always had materials donated as well as a good portion of the labor.
Actually this is not entirely true. It is true that some of the materials are donated (appliances, cabinets, flooring) but the majority of the materials used and all of the real labor are paid for by the owners. I know this because I know the Producer of the show, Deborah Hood.

I just visited their recently completed project in Newton, Massachusetts a couple of weeks ago and we discussed what the owners get for their trouble. Basically they paid about $400 to $450,000 for the expansion project and received about $100,000 of extras. Not bad, but they still needed to put a lot into the project and put up with all of the media attention. They also get a very well built house because these guys really do know their stuff and make sure everything is done right.

I will also say the the owners of the house , Bill and Gillian Pierce,were soooo nice. They did not seem to mind strangers walking through their house and looking at it or chatting with us about the experience. I wish them well because the home is really beautiful. Jay

Old 12-13-2009, 08:30 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
My favorite HGTV shows deal with outdoor renovations. My garden was actually on Gardeners Diary with Erica ??? years ago. I was so proud.

my favorite show -can't remember the name- stays with a huge major landscape renovation and once they did a friends house in Fayetteville GA. He is high mucky much at Chick Fil a and had the bucks to afford all that work-walk in pool, tennis court on and on. And then we went to a party there and it was so fun to actually see the real deal,. Very expensive- at least over $100K on landscaping alone I'm sure so you can imagine what the insides were like. But the lady didn't want to hire a decorator and did most of the interior design work herself and she did a pretty good job for a non professional.

I also like the guy to hangs out in the parking lot at home depot and tries to convince some shopper to let them take him home to do a project for them. Those poor fools who say no. This guy does it all in a weekend and I enjoy watching that. It's Yard ambush or something like that.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:17 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,167,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
My favorite HGTV shows deal with outdoor renovations. My garden was actually on Gardeners Diary with Erica ??? years ago. I was so proud.

my favorite show -can't remember the name- stays with a huge major landscape renovation and once they did a friends house in Fayetteville GA. He is high mucky much at Chick Fil a and had the bucks to afford all that work-walk in pool, tennis court on and on. And then we went to a party there and it was so fun to actually see the real deal,. Very expensive- at least over $100K on landscaping alone I'm sure so you can imagine what the insides were like. But the lady didn't want to hire a decorator and did most of the interior design work herself and she did a pretty good job for a non professional.

I also like the guy to hangs out in the parking lot at home depot and tries to convince some shopper to let them take him home to do a project for them. Those poor fools who say no. This guy does it all in a weekend and I enjoy watching that. It's Yard ambush or something like that.
huh? what's a high mucky much?

the show about the guy hanging out at Home Depot is on DIY, I think.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:49 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
sorry-meant to say muckity muck. haven't you heard that expression?

Old 12-13-2009, 08:06 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
I agree that Holmes on Homes is pretty good. It shows the audience that the important stuff is the innerds. And they don't pretend that every design solution is done by one or two people in a 1-hour episode. Mike Holmes is continually reminding the audience that it takes an entire crew to do even a small job, and that in between each of his cameos, are hours, often days, of labor.

I've known a few manufacturers get totally burned by HGTV shows, promising their products will get air time in the episode. Most of them were only marginally visible in a 5-second reveal shot, and their name was aired in a fast-scrolling credit without any mention of what they've donated. And they donated thousands of dollars worth of product. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure their donations weren't tax-deductible either. Neither the homeowner nor the show are not-for-profits, so it wouldn't be a legitimate tax deduction.

Most of the reputable construction industry is wise enough to steer clear of the home-reno entertainment industry.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:32 AM

8,047 posts, read 10,638,176 times
I just want to say to David Bromsted - come off of it, you're kidding right? This shows "creators", "designers", and writers are laughing all the way to the bank!

Old 11-19-2010, 11:13 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I just want to say to David Bromsted - come off of it, you're kidding right? This shows "creators", "designers", and writers are laughing all the way to the bank!
He makes me wanna barf!!!!!

Old 11-20-2010, 09:04 PM

5,280 posts, read 6,214,639 times
In terms of ongoing shows, Antonio is far more annoying than David Bromsted. Although I say that because I can take two guesses what David is going to do and am prepared for it while Antonio finds entirely new ways of annoying me.

Vern Yim and that da**ed design house condo is now my new biggest annoyance. I think the use of space is craptacular and he seems to oversell everything with every catch/design phrase in the book. I had gotten tired of him being entirely one note but after this he can hit high Cs til the cows come home and I would be less annoyed.

I feel like everyone other than Candace, Mike Holmes and Scott G has forsaken design or construction knowledge and just focuses on making a vignette.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:03 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times
I really like Mike Holmes and what he does but the show also scares me in that I wonder if there are any competent contractors out there or are the vast majority just worthless? I just know that one of these days the dogs WILL come up with those winning lotto numbers and I can build my dream house but who would I hire?

I did get inspired to have a "shed" built this past summer to house all the equipment I need for life in the country like a 4-wheeler to pull the big pasture mower, a ride on lawn mower for around the house, a dump cart, several wheel barrows, a log splitter etc.

I'd love to run into Ammed and have him bring a crew to crash my back yard. I've got lots of ideas but no dough-ray-me. And at my age of 60+ not much stamina for hard labor. I'd rather see some more DIY garden/landscaping shows that are down to earth for the average homeowner.

I did catch part of one episode of Bang for the Buck and it was comparing 3 kitchens that were 85,000 each. Give me a break. I'd be happy to have any one of the before kitchens that I saw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating