Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2010, 09:30 AM

18,476 posts, read 31,653,017 times

Advertisements

Vern annoys me with the same old line "Oh, they should have used the classic subway tile",

Well, regardless if it is timeless or not, not everyone wants subway tile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 03:34 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,552,885 times
Holmes on Homes ... he can build me a house any day. And he's a hunk.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:17 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,150,276 times
I love HGTV although I feel it has made regular people think they are designers when they are not. Sometimes I just cringe when I see how some of these people paint or use stain. I have seen some pretty horrific creations. I am bad about names so I will just do my slap list of shows below.

Color Splash. Okay, the host is a cute but the removing of his shirt all the time just really gets annoying. I swear I can hear the squeal of gays when he does this (2 friends of mine are gay and yes they have squealed about him )

Property Virgins. I think the show is getting better. When it first started the host really annoyed me. Maybe because I have had too many bad experiences with cocky realtors. I hate how she takes them to their ideal neighborhood and gleefully lets them know they can't afford it. But what really irks me, is when she returns at the end of the show and does that fake sad thing to make the clients think they did not get the house. What is she a game show host? These people are signing up for one of the biggest purchases of their lives and a 30 yr commitment in most cases and she acts like she is giving them the house or something. That really annoys me. Someone also needs to help her with her wardrobe. Yes, she is a curvy lady but my goodness her clothes are so skin tight.

Income Property. The host annoys me. He comes across so cocky. The show over all does not interest me that much because in my neck of the woods doing a 50k basement apt that rents for 1500 a month just wouldnt happen or be legal.

Dear Gen. This woman annoyed me on Trading Spaces. She is really goofy one minute but has the element of bitchyness. She seems like one of the fake women that can lose her temper in 60 seconds.

Candience (sp) Olson. Yes she does a lot of blue and browns but I think she brought something out of the dark and that is her play of lighting. I think she does a very good job providing the proper glow in a home. Cheeko or however its spelled has really changed from the beginning of the show. Now he has a strange haircut and shows up dressed to the nines. Its like really?

One show I used to really like that was not on HGTV was Property Ladder. I enjoyed watching those people not follow common sense advice and then get all greedy when the house was put up for sale. There used to be a website that would let you know if those people ever actually sold the place. Quite a few made it to foreclosure.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:36 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Sandra Rinomato is working for the sellers, I swear...she almost always convinces people to spend more or pay close to the asking price (and even OVER sometimes)...like, WTF, Sandra?!!!

If we listened to her kind of advice, we wouldn't be in the great house we're in now for the price we refused to go up from.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I love HGTV although I feel it has made regular people think they are designers when they are not. Sometimes I just cringe when I see how some of these people paint or use stain. I have seen some pretty horrific creations. I am bad about names so I will just do my slap list of shows below.

Color Splash. Okay, the host is a cute but the removing of his shirt all the time just really gets annoying. I swear I can hear the squeal of gays when he does this (2 friends of mine are gay and yes they have squealed about him )

Property Virgins. I think the show is getting better. When it first started the host really annoyed me. Maybe because I have had too many bad experiences with cocky realtors. I hate how she takes them to their ideal neighborhood and gleefully lets them know they can't afford it. But what really irks me, is when she returns at the end of the show and does that fake sad thing to make the clients think they did not get the house. What is she a game show host? These people are signing up for one of the biggest purchases of their lives and a 30 yr commitment in most cases and she acts like she is giving them the house or something. That really annoys me. Someone also needs to help her with her wardrobe. Yes, she is a curvy lady but my goodness her clothes are so skin tight.

Income Property. The host annoys me. He comes across so cocky. The show over all does not interest me that much because in my neck of the woods doing a 50k basement apt that rents for 1500 a month just wouldnt happen or be legal.

Dear Gen. This woman annoyed me on Trading Spaces. She is really goofy one minute but has the element of bitchyness. She seems like one of the fake women that can lose her temper in 60 seconds.

Candience (sp) Olson. Yes she does a lot of blue and browns but I think she brought something out of the dark and that is her play of lighting. I think she does a very good job providing the proper glow in a home. Cheeko or however its spelled has really changed from the beginning of the show. Now he has a strange haircut and shows up dressed to the nines. Its like really?

One show I used to really like that was not on HGTV was Property Ladder. I enjoyed watching those people not follow common sense advice and then get all greedy when the house was put up for sale. There used to be a website that would let you know if those people ever actually sold the place. Quite a few made it to foreclosure.

Oh you are too funny, but i agree with all your comments.

David Bromstad with the removal of the shirt to see the sweat is like one of those "oh please" moments, he is working up a sweat painting a canvas...but the other workers have drills and saws and lumber and they don't have a bead of sweat anywhere........they gotta be kidding.....It is actually comical.....

PS: but we love Sandra in our home though.....

I get a charge out of the beautiful neighborhood at first, then she brings them down a few notches, and then she shows them "some other dump on the other side of the tracks". (a line which I stole from another poster here)....but it is a classic

Old 11-26-2010, 08:28 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,214,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post

I did catch part of one episode of Bang for the Buck and it was comparing 3 kitchens that were 85,000 each. Give me a break. I'd be happy to have any one of the before kitchens that I saw.
You sound like me. They spend more money renovating one room than I would spend purchasing a house.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:34 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,214,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Vern annoys me with the same old line "Oh, they should have used the classic subway tile",

Well, regardless if it is timeless or not, not everyone wants subway tile.
After he decorated the HGTV Suburban Oasis dream apartment with concrete gargoyle statues or whatever they were......I lost my admiration of his design work.

I really didn't like anything he did in the whole apartment.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
After he decorated the HGTV Suburban Oasis dream apartment with concrete gargoyle statues or whatever they were......I lost my admiration of his design work.

I really didn't like anything he did in the whole apartment.
Yes, I agree, I didn't really like anything either. I actually though it was a bit much...I can't even think of a word I would like to use, but it was a bit much.....of ugluness.

Everything he was picking out he was saying was telling a story. But isn't a home supposed to tell a story about the occupants, not some museum pieces.

Come to my apartment, you will see plants, and right off the bat you will know I like nature....doesn't take rocket science....

Old 11-28-2010, 10:41 AM

737 posts, read 1,649,527 times
My all time favorite is Holms on Homes if that guy came to my house I would make him home made breakfast, lunch and supper and have tea and soda of their choice. That man is the best. Even if I had to go to a relatives house, friends or neighbors to fix it.

Which one drives me insane is the Rehab woman on the DIYnetwork channel. I know she has a passion for rehabbing homes and I would feel the same way but her voice and her ways would drive me insane. She really needs to find some dependable people to work for her. Her brother and cousin were great but can't work for her all the time. I love her work it is great but she need to take a chill pill and be more affirmative. It kind of like people who restore old cars you want it perfect or you cut corners it knowing when to cut that corner and when not to.

With her floors she redid I was thinking she should of thought about that before she did the bathroom all the great wood in there if there was any went to waste. She could of layed the plywood there and then did her tile design and took all the wood for her livingroom and other floors. But that is how it goes when rehabbing things hide site is 20 20. How ever those floors look great once she was done I have to admit and if I was restore I would want her there. I just would want to talk to her. Her voice even drives me insane it is so screechy.

Last edited by Starlady01; 11-28-2010 at 11:34 AM..

Old 11-30-2010, 08:20 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,817,498 times
I love Sandra Rinomato and Mike Aubrey!! They both bring the reality check (much needed!) to the non-realistic expectations of so many buyers and sellers. "With your budget you either have to compromise location or sq footage.." or "Other houses much better than yours just sold for less..."
I can't believe how spoiled some people are given they have budgets or specific needs (e.g. sell immediately/budget max, period).

Realtors have to put up with some incredibly picky people, for the silliest reasons "Oh, the carpet is filthy!" "Oh, I hate that there is too much blue!"

If you have a budget, fix it yourself or buy less! If you bought for more, or overfixed the house, don't expect the buyer - in a buyer's market with tons of choices - to pay the amount you want for it! It is your house, you can ask any price you like, but don't get frustrated if it does not sell within a weekend. Also, it baffles me that some people simply won't acknowledge other houses are better, when it is clearly not a matter of taste but just something obvious. And some buyers, seriously, want a castle on a tent's budget.

David Bromstad is great. I am not exactly a fan of his style, but he has great attitude and listens to his clients. And he is creative too, in his way.

Antonio is the best on HGTV, imo. On so many horrible "the next best whatever" on tv these days, his was an amazing choice, I was rooting for him from day one. Great guy, no "designer-knows-it-all" attitude, great show.

Candice Olson is great, very stylish and classy. A bit "modern only", I wish she would design something more classic/retro sometimes, she has such fantastic style/taste.

Genevieve Gorder and Vern Yip are nice, but I think Candice is way better. Just my opinion, though.

Holmes and the Income Property guy are certainly knowledgeable and nice but I prefer decorating/design shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating