Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 03:09 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times

Advertisements

I actually really miss being able to clean my own house and I am looking forward to being able to do so in a few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 03:15 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Wow. It's $55 bucks to have someone come in and swish the mop around? Jeepers. To everyone who isn't OCD about dust: Stick that $55 in the bank, do it every time you'd hire someone, let it accumulate and go to Maui. Life is short. Once you're dead no one is going to care that you had super shiny floors.
I'll go with you!

Well, I would if I had $55 a week ...

This made me LOL:

Old 04-06-2014, 03:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

I can go to Maui and still hire a housekeeper to come in every week.
Not everyone has the ability to do both. If you can.... good for you. Go for it. Most people have to prioritize and decide what they're going to spend their money on.

Personally, I can't imagine making the choice to have someone come in every two weeks to clean the tub when I still haven't seen Machu Pichu.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:41 PM

310 posts, read 1,700,658 times
Quote:
You say you are in the south. I wonder if you can hire a housekeeper or maid service to come in once a week or once every two weeks at at reasonable cost to deep clean your kitchen and bathrooms and floors. I have a housekeeper who comes in once a week since I had Achilles tendon surgery (long recovery time and housekeeping is hard on it) and she only charges $55 for about three hours. It might be worth it to you! I had to try two or three different services to find just the perfect fit but she's great.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've thought about hiring a cleaning service (would probably want someone cleaning every 2 weeks or so), but doubt I could find someone for that price (I'm in Charlotte NC) and couldn't justify it for much higher than that.

Since I have such a bad reaction to most cleaning products sold in stores, maybe I really need to explore alternatives that wouldn't have such strong smells or be irritating to my eyes, throat and skin. Somehow, this is something I've never looked into-- maybe I keep hoping the "Cleaning Fairy" will just show up overnight & I'll wake up in the morning to a sparking bathroom??

Guess I should start doing a search online, but could someone just give me some basic recommendations for non-irritating cleaning products for "deep cleaning" a bathroom? Maybe refer me to a good website or online sources for this?

Another thing, when I see people recommending things like vinegar for cleaning, I have no idea what kind-- white vinegar? something else? and what about baking powder, peroxide, etc.? Other "natural" or old-fashioned cleaning products? Looking forward to some basic info & suggestions, thanks in advance.

Last edited by newbie09; 04-06-2014 at 04:30 PM..

Old 04-06-2014, 03:56 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Newbie, buy a steam mop, like the Shark. It does a great job of cleaning bathrooms, and you don't need any products beyond water.

I'm in the south, and the number one question on our local town internet site is people asking for cleaning recommendations.
I have never, ever, been completely happy with a cleaning service, and wasted a lot of money along the way. $55.00 for 3 hours is a rarity.

These days, I prefer to live my life without worrying about dust, dog hair or pollen piles. The money left over to travel is a bonus.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Not everyone has the ability to do both. If you can.... good for you. Go for it. Most people have to prioritize and decide what they're going to spend their money on.

Personally, I can't imagine making the choice to have someone come in every two weeks to clean the tub when I still haven't seen Machu Pichu.
Here's the deal - I'm not criticizing others for their priorities - I'm just stating mine on a discussion thread on the topic of how we prioritize our housekeeping (or lack thereof). I am not criticizing others for NOT hiring a housekeeper, and I'm personally grateful that I am able to do so, especially since I am physically unable to clean my house well for the next few months, and it's something that's important to my husband and me.

Also, I am providing employment for someone who deserves to be paid well for a job well done. So everyone's happy.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie09 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I've thought about hiring a cleaning service (would probably want someone cleaning every 2 weeks or so), but doubt I could find someone for that price (I'm in Charlotte NC) and couldn't justify it for much higher than that.

Since I have such a bad reaction to most cleaning products sold in stores, maybe I really need to explore alternatives that wouldn't have such strong smells or be irritating to my eyes, throat and skin. Somehow, this is something I've never looked into-- maybe I keep hoping the "Cleaning Fairy" will just show up overnight & I'll wake up in the morning to a sparking bathroom??

Guess I should do start doing a search online, but could someone just give me some basic recommendations for non-irritating cleaning products for "deep cleaning" a bathroom? Maybe refer me to a good website or online sources for this?

Another thing, when I see people recommending things like vinegar for cleaning, I have no idea what kind-- white vinegar? something else? and what about baking powder, peroxide, etc.? Other "natural" or old-fashioned cleaning products? Looking forward to some basic info & suggestions, thanks in advance.
You are singing my tune now! I LOVE using natural cleaning products!

Get the cheapest white vinegar you can find, and the big boxes of baking soda, and some Murphy's Oil Soap (it's pretty mild) to start with. You can scrub your tub and your sinks with baking soda. You can make a great Windex type of product with vinegar and water (about half and half) and use a newspaper to polish mirrors and glass. You can mix that plain white vinegar with water and use it to clean counters and most surfaces. You can mix Murphy's Oil Soap with water to clean wood floors. Oh, and for furniture polish, you can use natural oils like almond oil or coconut oil (test the furniture first but it should be fine) or you can order orange furniture polish/oil (can't remember the exact name but it's AWESOME - you can google it) from Amazon - a little goes a long way and it doesn't leave a film and it smells wonderful and not strong.

You can use baking soda for all kinds of things - you can put it in mason jars with a few drops of essential oils (very few - like lavender - or none at all if you prefer non scented), and you can sprinkle it on carpets before you vacuum them.

You can scrub toilets with vinegar instead of harsh cleansers. You can also buy biodegradable cleansers from health food stores.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:14 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Here's the deal - I'm not criticizing others for their priorities - I'm just stating mine on a discussion thread on the topic of how we prioritize our housekeeping (or lack thereof).
As am I. We all have our priorities. Mine are reflected in a sign hanging in my kitchen that would probably get critiqued as "tacky". It says: "Welcome to our home. Please do not write in the dust." (It probably needs dusting.)

Old 04-06-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
As am I. We all have our priorities. Mine are reflected in a sign hanging in my kitchen that would probably get critiqued as "tacky". It says: "Welcome to our home. Please do not write in the dust." (It probably needs dusting.)
Fine by me. I have a sign in my kitchen (probably would get critiqued as tacky too) that says, "Dinner will be ready when the smoke alarm goes off." I'm better at cleaning than I am at cooking, but since my husband loves to cook, it's all good!

Old 04-06-2014, 04:30 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Quote:
Fine by me. I have a sign in my kitchen (probably would get critiqued as tacky too) that says, "Dinner will be ready when the smoke alarm goes off." I'm better at cleaning than I am at cooking, but since my husband loves to cook, it's all good!
I could hang both of those in my house. I did dust yesterday, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House