Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2014, 10:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
But, because you refuse to let statements slide past without a response, the implication that keeps coming across in your posts, is "keep a clean house 'IN ORDER TO' have a happy, close family." as if it is totally wrong to even think that you could be happy in a less than "perfect" house.

Uh, NO. I don't know how much clearer I have to be, but my gosh, I'll repeat myself again.

I have CLEARLY stated that this works for MY FAMILY. I went into great detail stating that out of my immediate family, six of the seven people who have lived under our roof are very neat, organized people - I even said that I think they were born with this element in their personalities. Clearly not everyone is born that way, or prefers living in a clean, orderly, aesthetically pleasing home - it's just not as important to them as it is to other people, and that's fine. That's their house and their life. That's not my business -my business is MY home and MY life.

And frankly, I think it's a little weird to project onto others the idea that you can't have BOTH a clean house AND a happy family.

As for ME PERSONALLY - no, I couldn't stand to live in a cluttered, messy house. For the record, I also couldn't stand to live in an ultra contemporary home that had little or no embellishments or knick knacks. My home and the environment of it is very important to me - how it looks, how it smells, how orderly it is - and my husband is on exactly the same page as I am, so it works well for us. (Our kids are grown but when they were growing up, four of the five were also very neat, so that was helpful.)

I am quite sure that there are plenty of healthy, happy people out there who would hate my decorating style. But one thing is certain - if they visit my home, they will find it clean. If they stay overnight, they will find that their host and hostess have made sure that they are housed very comfortably and have every necessary amenity at their fingertips. We enjoy entertaining and having overnight guests in fact. We really enjoy being good hosts.

We have one son who is VERY slovenly, and yes, it's a problem when he visits. I love my son dearly, and so I just close the door to the guestroom when he's there, but when he leaves the bathroom a mess, or when I can literally smell the funk coming from his dirty clothes, yes, we're going to have a talk, and I don't care if he's offended or not. He shouldn't come to my house and make a mess and not clean it up. That's rude. And when I go to his house, I shouldn't criticize the mess there either. And I don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 10:52 AM

701 posts, read 1,692,291 times
I've always wondered what the purpose of making one's bed is. It's not like leaving dirty dishes around: there's nothing inherently sanitary or unsanitary about leaving a bed unmade as long as the sheets are laundered regularly.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
I've always wondered what the purpose of making one's bed is. It's not like leaving dirty dishes around: there's nothing inherently sanitary or unsanitary about leaving a bed unmade as long as the sheets are laundered regularly.
I can only speak for myself, so here is my PERSONAL OPINION (gee, I sure do hope I don't offend someone with this! LOL).

I like to make up my bed for a couple of reasons.

1. To me, it feels better climbing back in it at night - the sheets and blankets are straight and so they're more comfortable to me, when I want comfort the most! The last thing I want to do climbing into bed at night when I'm tired, is try to straighten the sheets so I'm not cold or uncomfortable when I climb in.

2. I like the way a made up bed looks - to me it looks pretty in a room. My personal style of "bed making" is turning back the covers in an inviting way.

3. I prefer my house to be orderly and neat. To me, a made up bed looks neater than one that's unmade.

4. My husband prefers this too - in fact, we make up the bed together in the morning. It's a little ritual that we both enjoy. In fact, if he comes through and I've already made up the bed, he invariably says, "Oh, honey, I would have helped you with that!" almost as if he'd sad we didn't do it together!

I think people underestimate the actual joy and satisfaction that others can derive from keeping their homes clean and neat and pleasant. We LIKE it. We ENJOY our home more when it's neat -and yes, that includes the made up beds.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:13 PM

865 posts, read 1,489,885 times
I'm allergic to dust mites, and have 9 pet birds and a pet dog in a 2000 sq ft house. I am ALWAYS cleaning so I can keep allergy issues at bay! That said, whenever someone steps into my house and looks around, they are so impressed. Not with the decorating (although I have occassionally got compliments on that), but on how clean the house and pets are. It is such a feeling of accomplishment that I am known to keep a beautiful home, and even if it is something small to be good at, it is still a great feeling. Plus, it is the least I can do since I feel so blessed to have a wonderful life and a wonderful home. Its a act of gratitude to keep my things up, to show appreciation to God 9or higher being) for the things I have. Also, a de-cluttered life leads to a de-cluttered brain is what I always said...

Old 03-13-2014, 12:23 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,506,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I can only speak for myself, so here is my PERSONAL OPINION (gee, I sure do hope I don't offend someone with this! LOL).

1. To me, it feels better climbing back in it at night - the sheets and blankets are straight and so they're more comfortable to me, when I want comfort the most! The last thing I want to do climbing into bed at night when I'm tired, is try to straighten the sheets so I'm not cold or uncomfortable when I climb in.

2. I like the way a made up bed looks - to me it looks pretty in a room. My personal style of "bed making" is turning back the covers in an inviting way.

3. I prefer my house to be orderly and neat. To me, a made up bed looks neater than one that's unmade.

4. My husband prefers this too - in fact, we make up the bed together in the morning. It's a little ritual that we both enjoy. In fact, if he comes through and I've already made up the bed, he invariably says, "Oh, honey, I would have helped you with that!" almost as if he'd sad we didn't do it together!

I think people underestimate the actual joy and satisfaction that others can derive from keeping their homes clean and neat and pleasant. We LIKE it. We ENJOY our home more when it's neat -and yes, that includes the made up beds.
I haven't seen follow up research, but here is another way to look at it.

Dust Mites: Stop Making Your Bed - Banish Dust Mites? - HealthyHouseInstitute.com

Old 03-13-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
I haven't seen follow up research, but here is another way to look at it.

Dust Mites: Stop Making Your Bed - Banish Dust Mites? - HealthyHouseInstitute.com
Well, all I can say is that I doubt that making the bed makes much difference one way or another when it comes to dust mites. We all have them, they're in everyone's homes and beds. Sad but true!

The article is from 2007. Like you said, I haven't seen any follow up research either. Oh well. I'm glad I'm not allergic to dust mites.

Here are some tips about how to get rid of dust mites or cut down on them significantly. Looks like regularly washing ALL bedding in hot water, using mattress covers specifically designed to cut down on dust mites, and getting rid of pillows that are more than two years old (all of which I do) are the most effective ways to cut down on them.

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Dust-Mites

Old 03-13-2014, 02:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:

Here are some tips about how to get rid of dust mites or cut down on them significantly. Looks like regularly washing ALL bedding in hot water, using mattress covers specifically designed to cut down on dust mites, and getting rid of pillows that are more than two years old (all of which I do) are the most effective ways to cut down on them.
Strip the bed and vacuum the mattress when the sheets are changed.

You're welcome, America!

Old 03-13-2014, 02:48 PM

41,966 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
I've always wondered what the purpose of making one's bed is.
To keep the cats from making themselves at home on my sheets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Strip the bed and vacuum the mattress when the sheets are changed.

You're welcome, America!
I'd rep you again, but the Rep Nazis won't let me.

The aforementioned cats force me into vacuuming my bedroom every other day or so, and that includes vacuuming the comforter/quilt as well. I just pick up the vacuum cleaner and go to town. And when it's time to change the sheets, the pillows and mattress get it, too.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:37 PM

701 posts, read 1,692,291 times
Quote:

, oh, I'm horribly offended. Actually, your posts have been reasonable! And yes, a made bed looks neater, but since I don't care about looking neat it doesn't matter to me. I rarely have guests but when I do I just shut the bedroom door.

It's the OP, with the assumption that slobs can't feel good about themselves, that was ridiculously judgmental. I'm cool if you want to make your bed, as long as I don't have to live with you and make my own bed! Personally, I've always found those little decorative pillows and fancy covers people use to make things look pretty to be unnecessary clutter. I make enough clutter on my own, I don't need decorative clutter too!

Old 03-13-2014, 03:47 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,233,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
How do the self righteous feel they can question others and feel good about themselves?
good one!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House