Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2014, 04:28 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Strip the bed and vacuum the mattress when the sheets are changed.

You're welcome, America!
I always forget to vacuum the mattress! I HAVE GOT TO START DOING THIS. I think about it, but then when I strip the beds down, I always forget.

My husband LOVES vacuuming, especially with all those little attachments. I am going to sic him on this. He'll be THRILLED to do it!

And I am not kidding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 04:36 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,960,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I can only speak for myself, so here is my PERSONAL OPINION (gee, I sure do hope I don't offend someone with this! LOL).

I like to make up my bed for a couple of reasons.

1. To me, it feels better climbing back in it at night - the sheets and blankets are straight and so they're more comfortable to me, when I want comfort the most! The last thing I want to do climbing into bed at night when I'm tired, is try to straighten the sheets so I'm not cold or uncomfortable when I climb in.

2. I like the way a made up bed looks - to me it looks pretty in a room. My personal style of "bed making" is turning back the covers in an inviting way.

3. I prefer my house to be orderly and neat. To me, a made up bed looks neater than one that's unmade.

4. My husband prefers this too - in fact, we make up the bed together in the morning. It's a little ritual that we both enjoy. In fact, if he comes through and I've already made up the bed, he invariably says, "Oh, honey, I would have helped you with that!" almost as if he'd sad we didn't do it together!

I think people underestimate the actual joy and satisfaction that others can derive from keeping their homes clean and neat and pleasant. We LIKE it. We ENJOY our home more when it's neat -and yes, that includes the made up beds.
That's fine. Geeze, how many times do you have to state that? I'm glad you like your house as you like it.

What you underestimate is that some people couldn't care less and that that's fine too. You underestimate that people CAN ACTUALLY derive joy and pleasure even with a few dust bunnies and and a bit of clutter.

It's you that doesn't understand that. We get it. Your house is wonderful. My house is too. But you probably wouldn't be close friends with me.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
That's fine. Geeze, how many times do you have to state that? I'm glad you like your house as you like it.

What you underestimate is that some people couldn't care less and that that's fine too. You underestimate that people CAN ACTUALLY derive joy and pleasure even with a few dust bunnies and and a bit of clutter.

It's you that doesn't understand that. We get it. Your house is wonderful. My house is too. But you probably wouldn't be close friends with me.
LOL this is pretty funny to me - you accuse me of repeating myself over and over again and yet if you read back through this thread, others are stating the same thing (on the other side of the coin) over and over again too. "I prefer spending quality time with my family rather than spending 30 minutes a day cleaning the house." "Clutter and dirty dishes in the sink don't bother me." Same thing over and over again - how 'bout you get off me and jump on them for a bit?

I was responding to a direct question from another poster in the post you're remarking on (and it wasn't you, by the way). Sorry if that bothers you so much. Wow.

I DO get that some people couldn't care less. That's fine (and I've also said THAT over and over again.) I mean it - I'm happy they're happy. I'm not judging them because they have a few dust bunnies and a bit of clutter. Hell, how could I? I have a few dust bunnies and a bit of clutter around too. I'm not at all concerned or judgmental about that sort of thing. I've given clear examples of what DOES bother me and makes me wonder if people are dysfunctional - absolute filth, nasty sheets, funky smells, that sort of thing. I don't care or even THINK about whether or not people make up their beds every day. How would I even know this unless I stuck my head in their bedroom every day (which I can't even imagine doing)?

But you're probably right on one thing - if you talked to me in real life anything like you're talking to me on this forum, we wouldn't be close friends. And I'm sure that would be fine with both of us.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:00 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
LOL this is pretty funny to me - you accuse me of repeating myself over and over again and yet if you read back through this thread, others are stating the same thing (on the other side of the coin) over and over again too. "I prefer spending quality time with my family rather than spending 30 minutes a day cleaning the house." "Clutter and dirty dishes in the sink don't bother me." Same thing over and over again - how 'bout you get off me and jump on them for a bit?

I was responding to a direct question from another poster in the post you're remarking on (and it wasn't you, by the way). Sorry if that bothers you so much. Wow.

I DO get that some people couldn't care less. That's fine (and I've also said THAT over and over again.) I mean it - I'm happy they're happy. I'm not judging them because they have a few dust bunnies and a bit of clutter. Hell, how could I? I have a few dust bunnies and a bit of clutter around too. I'm not at all concerned or judgmental about that sort of thing. I've given clear examples of what DOES bother me and makes me wonder if people are dysfunctional - absolute filth, nasty sheets, funky smells, that sort of thing. I don't care or even THINK about whether or not people make up their beds every day. How would I even know this unless I stuck my head in their bedroom every day (which I can't even imagine doing)?

But you're probably right on one thing - if you talked to me in real life anything like you're talking to me on this forum, we wouldn't be close friends. And I'm sure that would be fine with both of us.
Really? Should we count? I think it would take at least 3-4 posters saying they're ok with a little clutter to equal the number of times you've told us how clean your house is.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:05 PM

OK, I had to count after I said that. I have posted a total of 11 times in this thread. Kathryn A has posted 22 times in this thread just in the last 2 days, plus 2-3 more times last week. Should we take the length of the posts into account too? Who protests too much?

Old 03-13-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
OK, I had to count after I said that. I have posted a total of 11 times in this thread. Kathryn A has posted 22 times in this thread just in the last 2 days, plus 2-3 more times last week. Should we take the length of the posts into account too? Who protests too much?
I'll tell you like I just told someone else - no, wait - I'll go copy and paste the statement - hold on....

Old 03-13-2014, 05:12 PM

OK here you go, Kibbiekat:

Quote:
And if you're ever unlucky enough to find yourself housebound with your leg in a gigantic orthopedic boot with air pumps on it, and strict orders from your doctor not to put any weight on it for six weeks, and you've already watched all of The Tudors, and Breaking Bad, and Midsomer Murders, and How I Met Your Mother, and Friends, and every documentary on health foods and Afghanistan that you can find (not together, separately - not sure how into health foods Afghans are or even could be these days), then you may understand why some people get online and discuss and debate decor, and current events, and the oil and gas industry in Texas, and fashion, and genealogy with strangers.
I do hope, for your sake, that you never find yourself in this situation. But if you do, I can suggest a really good housekeeper for you. And a yard guy.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
OK here you go, Kibbiekat:

I do hope, for your sake, that you never find yourself in this situation. But if you do, I can suggest a really good housekeeper for you. And a yard guy.
No matter the reason, glass houses, stones, you know...

Old 03-13-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
No matter the reason, glass houses, stones, you know...
Or rank boredom.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:19 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,863,540 times
I am wondering if I have OCD in that I really can't stand to see messes. We keep the dishes washed up ( those that do not go in the Dishwasher) and the house straightened up as I can't stand piles of stuff laying around. I really get physically uptight and can't relax because of the stuff laying around or not put back in its place. Perhaps I just think that a couple of minutes everyday saves having to spend hours cleaning up mountains worth of junk. JMHO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House