Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 10:35 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,292,211 times

Advertisements

That is like asking if a car salesman would tell you about problems with a car you are about to buy! (Not going to happen!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 10:48 AM

86 posts, read 221,121 times
Even if it was the realtor's job, I would still double check myself to be sure. We just put a deposit on a house and there were three houses in contention and we used the registry in our decision making process.

However, we are not first time buyers so I am not sure I would know to look for that. My realtor for my current house did tell us to check it out when we were buying our current house so that is how I learned about checking it. We had a Buyer's Agent- which I recommend.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:57 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGuy View Post
Exactly! and you'd think for 3%, the realtor would get you all the info you need to make a wise decision, right? Liability my ass, it's public information, the same as pulling tax records, # of bedrooms, etc.
And every real estate listing comes with a disclaimer that the information presented may not be accurate (or words to that effect). There are some things you just have to investigate for yourself instead of depending on the nanny state to spoon feed the information to you.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:41 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,916,614 times
Quote:
you'd think for 3%, which can amount to a figure that most poor folks make in a year, an agent should do some due dilligence for you. I mean, they'll tell you the school ratings in the area, but god forbid they tell you a sex offender is in the area, and it squashes their sale... Just another reason not to trust RE agents.
In most states it is publicly available information. You could have checked yourself.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:14 PM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
And you do realize that some offender could have moved into a house across the street the day AFTER you closed, right? There's no escaping the risk entirely, I'm sorry to say.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:27 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Plug in the nicest zip codes in the US and you'll see Sex offenders in every neighborhood.

Realtors cannot know the history of every home in every neighborhood and who moves in and out of those homes.
It's always best to do your own research but don't be shocked at the results.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:34 PM

563 posts, read 1,787,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
In most states it is publicly available information. You could have checked yourself.
sure, everything is public info. But why should an agent get 3% if you have to do the work yourself?

Old 04-20-2014, 02:45 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,916,614 times
Quote:
sure, everything is public info. But why should an agent get 3% if you have to do the work yourself?
If I am spending six figures or more on something I am going to take the ten seconds it takes to find out if there is a sex offender next door and not depend on the realtor.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:22 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
you'd think for 3%, which can amount to a figure that most poor folks make in a year, an agent should do some due dilligence for you. I mean, they'll tell you the school ratings in the area, but god forbid they tell you a sex offender is in the area, and it squashes their sale... Just another reason not to trust RE agents.
Honestly, it is SO EASY to check national websites for sex offenders in a neighborhood. Anyone can do it for absolutely free. Why should it be anyone other than the buyers' responsibility?

We just went under contract on a house. The first thing I did before making an offer was look up crime statistics and sex offender information. I didn't expect anyone else to do it for me.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:24 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Exactly! and you'd think for 3%, the realtor would get you all the info you need to make a wise decision, right? Liability my ass, it's public information, the same as pulling tax records, # of bedrooms, etc.

Now, if the RE agent were to give you advice on what to do, then that would be a different story. But that is not what the OP was asking for. Of course an agent would not pull this info, because it would potentially discourage a sale. That therein lies the problem - when you get an RE who is paid by the seller, they no longer work in your best interest. The only way you can get an agent to work in your best interest, is to pay them out of your own pocket.
Or you can just look up the information about crime, sex offenders, schools, demographics, etc. yourself when contemplating the largest investment that most people make in their lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House