Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 01:35 AM

752 posts, read 1,495,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
He needs to update his records to reflect where he is residing. That's the whole point of the registry.
but not everyone does that, or they lie and put down an address where they are not actually living, such as a property they own but do not actually reside in. That's why such information must be used carefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 01:44 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,866,731 times
I'm not suggesting that it shouldn't be used carefully. It seems ridiculously unfair to rent a property to someone knowing that address is listed on the registry. That just opens the tenants up to all kinds of backlash and for what reason? So, a SO can live where he or she wants without anybody knowing who they are?

Old 04-22-2014, 02:05 AM

752 posts, read 1,495,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
I'm not suggesting that it shouldn't be used carefully. It seems ridiculously unfair to rent a property to someone knowing that address is listed on the registry. That just opens the tenants up to all kinds of backlash and for what reason? So, a SO can live where he or she wants without anybody knowing who they are?
unfortunately it happens frequently enough, even when the landlord knows full well what the consequences might be. Other times the owner might not know because they never bothered to research their previous tenant and the next gets stuck in a nasty situation.
Some guys on those registries will knowingly place down an address where they can get mail but do not live there, and are perfectly aware of the possible consequences such as harassment and vandalism their tenant will be met with.
In states like Massachusetts only 'level 3' (high risk) sexual offenders are publicly listed in those registries with lower risk ones only available to law enforcement agencies. In many states all persons registered are publicly available to view and those can even include persons convicted of crimes which had nothing relating to sex whatsoever (some states include kidnapping, which itself is broadly defined, as eligible to be included on the sex registry---or consensual under-age sex where no actual sexual violence happened, but either one or both were under age and not married).
Knowing the specific circumstances I think is extremely important.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:22 AM

44,634 posts, read 61,638,098 times
In AZ the seller has certain disclosure responsibilities, not the realtor. The realtor is the middleman only.

AZ law...Buyer of My Home in Arizona?
It is important to note what is NOT required by Arizona law to be disclosed. There are three main items. In Arizona,
•you are not required to tell a buyer that the home has been the site of a natural death, suicide, homicide or any other crime classified as a felony.
•you are not required to tell a buyer that the home has been owned or occupied by someone exposed to HIV, or diagnosed with AIDS or any other disease not known to be transmitted through common occupancy.
you are not required to tell a buyer that the home is located in the area of a sex offender.

http://phoenix.about.com/od/users/a/...disclosure.htm

Old 04-22-2014, 04:12 AM

140 posts, read 288,334 times
Anywhere you live, you will probably have one registered sex offender in your neighborhood and many more unregistered ones. Always be careful and know who your kids are with.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:14 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnd2009 View Post
Just purchased a home and like 3 hours ago we were told that we have a level 3 sex offender living right next door. Is there not a law that obligates realtors to disclose information about sex offenders while showing property?
Would you expect the realtor to tell you where you want your children to go to school, too? The prospective homeowner is the one who should be finding out all this information.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:05 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slctnc View Post
Even if it was the realtor's job, I would still double check myself to be sure. We just put a deposit on a house and there were three houses in contention and we used the registry in our decision making process.

However, we are not first time buyers so I am not sure I would know to look for that. My realtor for my current house did tell us to check it out when we were buying our current house so that is how I learned about checking it. We had a Buyer's Agent- which I recommend.

Exactly! The houses we have bought (in our case, two, both in new construction neighborhoods, so Sex offenders were not something I was dealing with) I have found out the owners and zoning of every parcel nearby that was not already developed, called the town planning department and chatted with them, checked overall crime stats for the area, toured other neighborhoods by the same developer and builder, checked the routing of a future highway nearby and connection plans to the main road we were off of and even talked to the representatives for a shopping center nearby. If I were buying an existing home, I would check the crime stats and sex offenders for sure. Why would you purchase a house and not check this stuff?

Old 04-22-2014, 07:12 AM

836 posts, read 1,662,669 times
I doubt realtors check the registry for every property they're showing- they have plenty else to deal with.

Do you have kids?

Old 04-22-2014, 08:52 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,381,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin023 View Post
In states like Massachusetts only 'level 3' (high risk) sexual offenders are publicly listed in those registries with lower risk ones only available to law enforcement agencies. In many states all persons registered are publicly available to view and those can even include persons convicted of crimes which had nothing relating to sex whatsoever (some states include kidnapping, which itself is broadly defined, as eligible to be included on the sex registry---or consensual under-age sex where no actual sexual violence happened, but either one or both were under age and not married).
Knowing the specific circumstances I think is extremely important.
Level 2 and 3 are listed in Massachusetts, which is what people rightfully need to be aware of.

I think listing level 1 probably does more harm than good, especially when it ends up vilifying the hard working young man down the street who got on the wrong side of his girlfriend's parents in their teen years when they found out they were having very consensual sex and is no danger to anyone.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:23 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,969 times
I agree you must do your research! We did. But there is only so much we can do anyways, sex offenders are pretty much everywhere. My parents neighborhood has one, a really old man and my parents just showed his picture and said "stay away from this man" and to be honest I never saw him, I assume he kept to himself mostly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House