Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 05:31 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,867,025 times

Advertisements

Realtors aren't going to tell a prospective buyer anything that will cause them to rethink the purchase of a property. Some Realtors here will come behind me and bash me (again). The idea of a "buyer's agent" is just a way to make buyers think they have someone on their side. In reality, it's not true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 07:45 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
Realtors aren't going to tell a prospective buyer anything that will cause them to rethink the purchase of a property. Some Realtors here will come behind me and bash me (again). The idea of a "buyer's agent" is just a way to make buyers think they have someone on their side. In reality, it's not true.
Not going to bash you but........ You're wrong.

I pull clients out of houses all the time because I know they have issues.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:18 PM

752 posts, read 1,495,436 times
Information such as this falls squarely with the buyer's responsibility. Yes, the agent is getting a commission, but you're the one buying the home and making the decision as to which house that will be. It's one of, if not the largest financial decision many of us will ever make so due diligence is of course important and researching those things which concern you is important.
Certain things like crime rates, racial demographics and criminal convictions etc are prohibited from being disclosed by an agent, even though those are largely a matter of public information as well.
Of course you do not know who might move in later...or who might commit a sex crime later and thus become registered in the neighborhood. Agents can't protect against all risk. If you don't want to take risks, don't buy a house.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:59 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,544 times
Time and again, I read threads here on CD and I find myself typing: "follow the money.". The one, simple rule that will guide you in 99% of financial decisions. If none of the money involved in the transaction is flowing in your favor, you need to be diligent on your behalf.

In this case, ALL of the money is flowing into someone else's hands: the seller, the selling agent, and, yes, the buyer's agent. In this case, trust no one--even someone acting on your behalf (the buyer's agent). They ALL just want the money as quickly and easily as possible.

You should do all of your own research outside of theirs. Bad water, dumps (both new and existing), possible new highways or modifications to existing, loud or unruly neighbors, etc.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:16 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,241,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnd2009 View Post
Just purchased a home and like 3 hours ago we were told that we have a level 3 sex offender living right next door. Is there not a law that obligates realtors to disclose information about sex offenders while showing property?
What state are you living in? Not all sex offenders are registered on State registries. Do yourself a favor and check the national sex offender registry as well.

United States Department of Justice National Sex Offender Public Website

Sex offenders not registered in NC | abc11.com

Old 04-21-2014, 08:12 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
Given the fact that sex offender databases are often inaccurate, I should think they would have no obligation - the information is often out of date, so it might not even be true. It's really a simple internet search to find out things like crime levels and sex offender presence - again, it's not always accurate, but it is what it is. You can at least get an idea of the situation.

As with anything else, "caveat emptor" is something to take seriously when buying a house.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:28 PM

110 posts, read 609,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
You need to find better realtors then. I'm not a realtor, but I'm buying my second home now. My realtor has provided invaluable information regarding which house I'm deciding on and has turned me away from a few that have problems.

A good, honest buyer's agent will take a little less money to have a happy client and potentially get references from that client.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:00 AM

7 posts, read 5,736 times
Who made the claim of a sexual offender? I would want to verify the source before taking any kind of action.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:07 AM

752 posts, read 1,495,436 times
Another reason to be careful of using the information found on those registries is a situation like this:
A man listed on the registry has has his address a house which he owns but is now currently renting--the tenant renting the place does not know the status of his landlord. That is another reason why agents probably won't want to get involved as due to liability.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:17 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,867,025 times
He needs to update his records to reflect where he is residing. That's the whole point of the registry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House