Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 09:53 AM

422 posts, read 574,378 times

Advertisements

My dad passed away a few years ago in his sleep. He died peacefully without any struggle. Not a bad way to go, I'd say. At the time of his death he was in a lot of financial struggle. He was way underwater on his house, so there was no way to pay it off and sell it. It went into foreclosure and I stopped really thinking about it.

A year or so after he died, a friend of my wife was telling her all about the house they found, and how they had seen it twice and were waiting on an inspection. It turns out it was my dad's old house. My wife was thinking she owed it to her friend to tell them that my dad had died in the house. To me it wasn't a huge deal, since it was natural and not a suicide or a murder. I do know a realtor is required to tell you if anyone has died in the house. That is assuming the realtor knows about it, and assuming you ask. They never asked.
They decided to pass on the house right before the inspection process.

What do you guys think? I believe if you're in an older house, there's a decent chance someone has died in the house. In the old days, people wanted to die at home and not in hospitals or nursing homes.

If you were in my shoes, would you tell a friend that someone had died in the house they were interested in, even if it wasn't a family member but you still knew about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 10:03 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,171 times
I wouldn't care at all if someone had died in the house, unless there was something toxic about the house that killed them. Radon? Something poisonous about the water?

But in your situation, where someone had died peacefully in their sleep in the house, that wouldn't bother me at all, and I think your wife ought to keep quiet about it.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:20 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
A previous owner of my house died of a heart attack in his sleep. People die all the time, many of them at home. A murder would have given me pause. A peaceful death? Not at all.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:36 AM

164 posts, read 174,964 times
I would tell a friend if I knew that someone died in the house because I don't think it would be a deal breaker for any of my friends.

Last year, like your father, my husband died peacefully at home in his sleep and I sold the house to move to a different state. The realtor was not required to tell the buyers and they didn't ask. However, I became very friendly with the buyers and I told them. The house was on acreage in a rural area and I had dogs that I could not take with me and since it was the only home my dogs had ever known, the buyers wanted to keep them.

My husband and I built that house and he was very proud of it and never left a single thing go into disrepair and the buyers seem to be honored to take over for him.

When the buyers found out that I was selling the furnishings, they bought them. I don't know whether or not they kept or sleep in the bed since when I have gone back to visit them and the dogs, I didn't of course go into the bedroom.

It may be creepy to some people but I would not hesitate to buy a house that someone died in. Having gone through my own experience, I would probably find it comforting.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:39 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,472,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybarnaby View Post
I do know a realtor is required to tell you if anyone has died in the house.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:45 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
If they're friendly ghosts, I'd buy the house.
But watch out for irate ghosts. They make a nuisance of themselves.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:57 AM

422 posts, read 574,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
It's true. My dad was a realtor for 25 years. If you ask them if someone died and they lie to you and say no, that's a big deal.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:01 AM

164 posts, read 174,964 times
I'm not a realtor so i don't know but it was not listed on the disclosure and my realtor said she did not have to disclose it and the buyers didn't ask. It may be different from state to state.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:07 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
In our state a realtor does not need to reveal a death unless they are asked directly about one.
If a peaceful death I would not be bothered about living there, but a violent one would give me pause and I doubt I would want to live there.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:19 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
Our house is 150 years old. There is a distinct possibility that someone had died here-in fact, we took out a door that was called "the coffin door"-which was off of the parlor-where funerals were probably held for family members.

As for ghosts, we were told the house was haunted but after 2 years, we haven't seen/heard anything to suggest it is.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House