Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 05:32 PM

17,346 posts, read 11,289,865 times

Advertisements

Let's not forget that up until the early to mid 20th century, most people died in their houses, not in hospitals or convalescent homes. Old people lived with their families until the end and weren't sent off to nursing homes. If a death in a house was a deal breaker for most people, half the homes in this country would be sitting empty or have to be demolished.

Last edited by marino760; 08-08-2016 at 06:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 06:08 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,179,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
No, at least not for me. It's the fact the people will ask stupid questions constantly, expect you to know all about it the famous murder, want to come in and see where it happened ...

I just want to live my life....not deal with the never ending ridiculousness. That's also why a lot of times spectacular "death" houses are taken down. A lot of people know that address of 10050 Cielo Dr. Sharon Tate murder house. Not only is it gone, the people that took it down bought several other properties took them down and redivided the properties again...so there no longer is a 10050 Cielo.

There was one where I grew up, where a man paid to have his wife killed. No one would buy it, the people who did made it a restaurant. Popular one...people traveled from all over to eat there, but, no one nearby ever went in.... When the old owners retired... The place was razed.
As I mentioned in a couple posts, above, this is a different sort of concern. It is probably reasonable in the case of famous murders, but "violent death" does not equal "famous murder." My post was direct at people who would avoid a house due to the properties inherent to "violent deaths."

Old 08-08-2016, 06:13 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,683 times
Nope. Dealbreaker for me.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:13 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,637,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybarnaby View Post
My dad passed away a few years ago in his sleep. He died peacefully without any struggle. Not a bad way to go, I'd say. At the time of his death he was in a lot of financial struggle. He was way underwater on his house, so there was no way to pay it off and sell it. It went into foreclosure and I stopped really thinking about it.

A year or so after he died, a friend of my wife was telling her all about the house they found, and how they had seen it twice and were waiting on an inspection. It turns out it was my dad's old house. My wife was thinking she owed it to her friend to tell them that my dad had died in the house. To me it wasn't a huge deal, since it was natural and not a suicide or a murder. I do know a realtor is required to tell you if anyone has died in the house. That is assuming the realtor knows about it, and assuming you ask. They never asked.
They decided to pass on the house right before the inspection process.

What do you guys think? I believe if you're in an older house, there's a decent chance someone has died in the house. In the old days, people wanted to die at home and not in hospitals or nursing homes.

If you were in my shoes, would you tell a friend that someone had died in the house they were interested in, even if it wasn't a family member but you still knew about it?
No people die in their homes all the time.

It could be more of a freakish issue is someone like shot themselves in the head in a room or something and I knew about it...

I'd probably think about that as I'd walk through the room.

In the end though, I don't think it'd be an issue.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:36 PM

82 posts, read 80,786 times
We bought a house years ago in the country and loved it but from the 1st night things were strange.
I NEVER believed in ghost and I've shared this story with only a few people. With that said things happened we still can't explain. We even had guest stay with us that got scared and would leave. At one point I told a lady that lived down the road that I thought the house was haunted. I laughed as I said it because I didn't want her to think I was a nut. She told me there were no such thing as ghost but it could be a devil. WHAT!? So, she and another lady stood there and prayed for me. I was more freaked out than ever. I won't go into all the details but after living there just a year and a half it got so bad that we decided to sell. It was at this point that we found out the man who had built this house in 1925 had died of cancer in the downstairs bedroom and his ashes were scattered on the property. How did I find out? Another neighbor down the road came to visit when the For Sale sign went up. As I said I never believed in ghost but after all I saw....it made me a believer.

After living there I made it a point to inquire about deaths in any home we looked at. I still get chills when I think about it.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:40 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
It would not bother me, but if I could use it as leverage to get lower price, I would. At this point in civilization, some one has died everywhere on earth.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:52 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,179,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Folks View Post
We bought a house years ago in the country and loved it but from the 1st night things were strange.
I NEVER believed in ghost and I've shared this story with only a few people. With that said things happened we still can't explain. We even had guest stay with us that got scared and would leave. At one point I told a lady that lived down the road that I thought the house was haunted. I laughed as I said it because I didn't want her to think I was a nut. She told me there were no such thing as ghost but it could be a devil. WHAT!? So, she and another lady stood there and prayed for me. I was more freaked out than ever. I won't go into all the details but after living there just a year and a half it got so bad that we decided to sell. It was at this point that we found out the man who had built this house in 1925 had died of cancer in the downstairs bedroom and his ashes were scattered on the property. How did I find out? Another neighbor down the road came to visit when the For Sale sign went up. As I said I never believed in ghost but after all I saw....it made me a believer.

After living there I made it a point to inquire about deaths in any home we looked at. I still get chills when I think about it.
Our eyes are only capable of seeing light that is reflected off of matter. Our ears are only capable of hearing sounds created by by physical sound waves propagating. If ghosts are non-physical, spiritual entities, how is it even imaginable that we could see them or hear them?

Any explanation is more likely for the things you observed than a ghost.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:59 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,151,572 times
Your dad passed away same time mine did, roughly. Same circumstances, also roughly, as "peaceful" as it gets.

There, the similarities end to the situations.

I sold the house three months later. He died there, in his favorite chair.

I loved my dad, but am not super-sentimental or superstitious. (That does not denigrate those who are, respectfully.) I wore some of the clothes he died in, and sat in the chair, and thought my own thoughts that weren't all that creeped-out. Not having use for the chair, nice as it was, I had it sold. I didn't inform anyone he'd died there, the realtor did not seem to care. The realtor is a local and had full view of the situation. I have NO idea if she informed the buyer, State of Michigan, that my dad died there.

So no, I don't care. My current house was built about thirty years ago. I don't give a hoot if it's an Ancient Indian Burial Ground(tm) for all I care. Doesn't seem to be haunted! I bet some(thing) dropped dead on the land, since the ice receded maybe 8,000 years ago. They seem to have departed peacefully?

Old 08-08-2016, 10:31 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,257,773 times
My mom is on hospice care and will probably pass away in the master bedroom of our home. When we decide to sell our house, I don't see that as anyone's business.

I think her spirit will move on to a much better place. She won't be here anymore.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:32 PM

10 posts, read 6,926 times
Much appreciated! I would tell a companion on the off chance that I realized that somebody kicked the bucket in the house since I don't think it would be a major issue for any of my companions.

A year ago, similar to your dad, my better half passed on gently at home in his rest and I sold the house to move to an alternate state. The real estate broker was not required to tell the purchasers and they didn't inquire. Be that as it may, I turned out to be neighborly with the purchasers and I let them know. The house was on land in a rustic territory and I had mutts that I couldn't bring with me and since it was the main home my canines had known, the purchasers needed to keep them.

My better half and I constructed that house and he was exceptionally pleased with it and never left a solitary thing go into decay and the purchasers appear to be regarded to assume control for him.
http://zapatodos.top/28/thanks.png
At the point when the purchasers discovered that I was offering the furniture, they purchased them. I don't know regardless of whether they kept or rest in the bed since when I have backtracked to visit them and the pooches, I didn't obviously go into the room.

It might be unpleasant to a few people yet I would not dither to purchase a house that somebody kicked the bucket in. Having experienced my own experience, I would most likely think that its consoling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House