Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 12:37 PM

510 posts, read 500,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
How is it possible that dogs can hear sounds humans can not? If we can not hear the sound, does that mean it does not exist?

You may believe whatever you wish, and I request you please be respectful of my beliefs.
There are plenty of sound frequencies we cannot hear. Actually there are many things we can't see or hear but we know its there. Radio waves are invisible. Radiation is (mostly) invisible. But we can test for it and see the effects from it. Supernatural events however are impossible to reproduce, they are all hearsay, many times its the result of ignorance (like slamming door is due to changes in air pressure) or simply someone who wants attention (an adult telling the story of a ghostly encounter).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 01:34 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,018,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Should we start notifying buyers that thousands of pounds of animal meat have been chopped up, cooked and eaten on the property? Are chicken spirits likely to be haunting the kitchen?

Humans are made up of mostly the same biological material that makes up other mammals. When we die, we decompose much like other animals. That's it, the end. There's no "crossing over" or hanging out in your old house to freak new buyers out.

This is one of the nuttier threads I've read.
The spirit is your essence ..who you are- whats in side that visible shell we lug around. I am an non practicing Catholic who is pretty much an agnostic and just the other day I read a PhD in physics article about where the spirit goes and how it is accounted for in the universe.. wish I could remember where I would post you the link . Keep your mind open to anything( as in look at all possibilities ) until they are absolutely disproved you'll discover all sorts of things .There are so many facets to life , here and beyond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Wow.This is so sad.

I do believe in the paranormal and in haunted houses. This sounds like one. I am sorry that you had to go through all of this.

It does seem that many rental houses, owner financed houses, and houses that seem to be uncommonly too good to be true, have more than their fair share of hauntings. I regularly watch "A Haunting" and it almost always seems to be the case.

This is tragic on so many levels. While I said up thread that I would not be upset if a person, died in the home of natural causes, the murder of a child would send me running.

Yet, I do understand your dilemma. You needed a place for your horses, and you also were in need of owner financing.

I have a question - if you were aware of the murder of that child, would you have even considered it?

I am not sure how the owner, seller can live with himself. He knew about the property, and yet he continued to make a profit off his owner finance schemes. And in the end, I am sure that he was recompensed by the insurance that he must have had.

I am really sorry that this happened to you and to your family. Many blessings, love and light.
Thank you .
NO WAY would I have purchased that place had I known . Our lives went to hell afterwards . We had to carry the ins on it which didn't cover the full purchase price due to it being so many miles from a fire station ( don't know if that's legal now or then but it was what it was . Anyway , the owners, I think, were afraid we were going to sue for non disclosure when the old man slipped and let it out - you should have seen his wife's face ( which was required at that time for murders/ suicides ) and they just let us go when after the ins paid we still owned them money for the house . We had NOTHING but the clothes on our back and one truck, straight to a homeless shelter for a few weeks .

Seriously it was so bad that sometimes we will bring up the fact that no one brings it up .

I cut my hand badly also while trying to reach through a window to get my daughters baby doll she was screaming was on fire that still hurts today that I thought I could reach and I did . It required 4-5 stitches but still we never talk about it . This place was VERY rural . In a community called Lagarto on the opposite side of Mathis on Lake Corpus Christi . 30 miles ONE WAY to school . 18 to the nearest grocery . I think they patched it up and sold it to a fixer upper relative who let it sit .

Old 08-09-2016, 02:20 PM

5,452 posts, read 4,056,924 times
no, it wouldn't bother me. My husband died peacefully at home in a winter condo we rented. I have been back since, no untoward effects or ghosts.

But am I the only person who has read that Stephanie Plum novel where they are disposing of a sofa that someone died on, because of "Death cooties"? That should be the title of this thread.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:44 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,317,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
We bought a house where the previous owner shot herself in the bathtub. She had two labs- black. She was a trust fund kid who never worked and had some issues. No one touched it, but it did not bother us for the area and we knew the family appreciated a family with kids taking care of it..she had done some remodeling.

There were some oddities...toilet would flush (not often, but it did), or I'd see what seemed like a black lab out of the corner of my eye at times while sitting and watching TV. We'd say, "Hi," to the owner. Never anything scary.

We bought it for 745 and sold for 1.3 million 11 years later (we did remodel). It was a great house and the new owner loves it and has 2 kids.
Plumbers wife here... toilets tend to flush on their own when you've got a warped flapper. Nothing paranormal about it..

seeing the black lab is a different matter.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:01 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
https://www.redfin.com/resources/dea...use-disclosure

Found this. Some states do require disclosure.

DH and I just had a conversation about this very thing. He said exactly what others have said: if it was a natural death, then no problems because people have been dying in their homes for millennia. A ghastly murder or suicide though, well that feels different.

I don't believe in spirits and ghosts. Or bad vibes for that matter. But it would trouble me to live in a home where a murder had been committed.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:11 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,260,309 times
My dad died in our home when I was just twelve. We continued to live there for several more years before mom sold it. The new owners didn't care that my dad had died there. Fast forward a few years and the owner who bought our home killed his wife and then himself in the house. It sat empty for a few years because of that. Finally an older gentleman bought it that didn't care about its history.

Me personally, I doubt it would bother me too much as I've seen quite a few people die. It's part of the cycle is all.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:10 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,837,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
A previous owner of my house died of a heart attack in his sleep. People die all the time, many of them at home. A murder would have given me pause. A peaceful death? Not at all.
This. Still, I would not buy it without a steep discount....

Old 08-09-2016, 09:32 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
My father died on his kitchen floor. My mother still lives there, but she's almost 88. When it comes time to sell the house, I wonder if that will bother someone. I kind of feel close to Dad when I'm in the kitchen. Of course, people who didn't know him won't feel the same way, but he doesn't seem to be hanging around.

And for those who believe they have seen ghosts or that they exist:

I lived in a house that had one. I would not have believed it except that I saw him myself. I still did not believe it when I saw it and figured it was just some old weed from the 70s bouncing around my brain. When I was in my dining room, I would see a figure out of the corner of my eye cross the room and walk over to the door that led to the basement. If I turned to look he would be gone. So, I resolved that if I saw it again, I would not turn my head but instead try to see what it was out of my peripheral vision. I got the impression of a tall, thin man wearing a long dark coat and a hat. Kept it to myself because I didn't want to scare my daughter or make my roommate laugh at me.

My roommate was home during the day because she was undergoing treatment for cancer. One day she started saying that she heard noises in the house during the day, such as footsteps upstairs and a door slamming. Then she hesitated and said..."and sometimes I think I see someone." I said, "Like what?" She said "a tall man who walks through the dining room and then disappears at the basement door." Hair on my arms stood up straight! Saw him a few more times, but was never scary. It seems to be some sort of "house memory" is the best way I can describe it.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:14 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,179,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
How is it possible that dogs can hear sounds humans can not? If we can not hear the sound, does that mean it does not exist?

You may believe whatever you wish, and I request you please be respectful of my beliefs.
Dogs hear sounds because their physical ears are capable of receiving physical waves that are different wavelengths than the ones our ears can receive. I am not arguing that the the only things that exist are the things we can see. That would be ludicrous. I am arguing that a physical eye and a physical ear can only process physical stimuli. Light must reflect off an object for us to see it. If ghosts are non-physical, how is it possible that light can reflect off of them?

I am not being disrespectful to you. I will not, however, act like this idea has any credence to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
The spirit is your essence ..who you are- whats in side that visible shell we lug around. I am an non practicing Catholic who is pretty much an agnostic and just the other day I read a PhD in physics article about where the spirit goes and how it is accounted for in the universe.. wish I could remember where I would post you the link . Keep your mind open to anything( as in look at all possibilities ) until they are absolutely disproved you'll discover all sorts of things .There are so many facets to life , here and beyond.
The "spirit" doesn't exist. Your physical brain structure is what makes you who you are, nothing more. Change the brain, and the person changes. All of that can be explained, at least conceptually, with neuroscience.

Physicists deal with physics. Physics is the study of physical matter. A "spirit" is, by definition, a non-physical thing. Physicists do not deal in "spirits," and they have no training in spirits.

Also, if you believe in the god of the Bi le, you are not agnostic. If you don't believe in the god of the Bible, you ate not a Catholic.

Last edited by Wittgenstein's Ghost; 08-10-2016 at 04:30 PM..

Old 08-10-2016, 06:49 PM

525 posts, read 660,862 times
People will believe what they believe. It's more ridiculous to try and change their mind. I've seen an incredible amount of death. I have held witness to their passing, up to and including pronouncement and postmortem care. I believe in no god, but do believe in a life essence that departs. I open a window and let it fly free each time. I also believe in an echo of that life, a memory that may remain. I do not believe that it holds any harm. It does not scare me, but it can be unsettling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House