Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 05:01 PM

325 posts, read 163,826 times

Advertisements

why don't they ban all creature comforts and watch a war go start
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 05:04 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Rick Steves, on his travel show talks about using clothes that wash and dry easily. He hand washes the clothes in the sink and hang dries them overnight. Inside.

I don't buy the argument that people can't do this or don't have enough space in their house to hang them. Nope. That doesn't sound right.
oh...so we should ban dryers AND require everyone to wear certain fabrics?

Old 09-08-2019, 05:08 PM

7,106 posts, read 4,825,782 times
Quote:
Rick Steves, on his travel show talks about using clothes that wash and dry easily. He hand washes the clothes in the sink and hang dries them overnight. Inside.

I don't buy the argument that people can't do this or don't have enough space in their house to hang them. Nope. That doesn't sound right.
I have the room, and the means. I choose not to.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:08 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Sure, you can get your clothes dry naturally even through a cold winter.
Just remember that you'll need more time for the clothes to dry, so hang as early in the day as you can and leave until late. If there's a breeze, you're in luck; agitation speeds up the process. Avoid hanging on damp, grey days when the moisturize that needs to evaporate from the clothing has nowhere to go.
So, check the weather - if it's sunny and breezy, you can air dry your clothes even in cold winter.
What's the low temp there in January? 50?

Doesn't work when the fall/winter/early spring are dark, damp, cloudy, and highs as low as 30 degrees. And I don't like my clothes and towels stiff as boards.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:11 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
I heard a good discussion today about how some people don't use dryers because they are a waste of electricity. They say that hanging their clothes dries almost as fast sometimes.

This made sense. I usually will take out shirts and pants before they are done drying to eliminate wrinkles. But the smaller items don't even require that much care. I will literally have to keep setting a dryer for extended periods just to finish drying some socks. But isn't this kind of a waste of electricity? Especially if they can get dry just as fast by hanging?

What do you think? Should they be banned for home use?
So get rid of your dryer! Such a strong attitude yet you still have and USE your own dryer.

Hanging a few damp clothes is far different than hanging towels, sheets, socks, underwear year round - and most of that year inside. I'm not into watching out to not run into hanging clothes all the time!

Old 09-08-2019, 05:11 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxmfan2018 View Post
LMAO
they do make heat pump dryers that work great and they don't tear up your clothes like regular dryers do
Something to consider!!

Heat pump tumble dryers are much better for the environment and cheaper to run, with heat pump technology using almost 50% of the energy used by conventional models. They aren't any noisier either.
Some experts have calculated that it could take up to 11 years of ownership before a heat pump dryer equals the cost of a cheaper condenser or vented machine.

https://www.amazon.com/Blomberg-DHP2...441509-4715347

Old 09-08-2019, 05:14 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
What's the low temp there in January? 50?

Doesn't work when the fall/winter/early spring are dark, damp, cloudy, and highs as low as 30 degrees. And I don't like my clothes and towels stiff as boards.
People air dry clothes in Europe during winter. Practically no problem, but surely not everyone's in the US preference.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:17 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Line dried towels around here will stand up on their own. No.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:33 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,780,627 times
And just where would the OP suggest I hang the bedsheets to dry in the middle of winter? Never mind that the HOA doesn't allow clotheslines. (Please, let's not go off in the weeds about HOA's.) The bedsheets are mind-boggling as are sweats and other heavy items. I won't be jumping on the banning dryers bandwagon (or A/C's, or just about anything else). I thought we'd evolved beyond that.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:43 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
I heard a good discussion today about how some people don't use dryers because they are a waste of electricity. They say that hanging their clothes dries almost as fast sometimes.

This made sense. I usually will take out shirts and pants before they are done drying to eliminate wrinkles. But the smaller items don't even require that much care. I will literally have to keep setting a dryer for extended periods just to finish drying some socks. But isn't this kind of a waste of electricity? Especially if they can get dry just as fast by hanging?

What do you think? Should they be banned for home use?
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House