Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 09:30 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times

Advertisements

The procedure for an apt. Remove everything from the apartment that can hold bed bugs and either throw it away or have it professionally cleaned. Rinse and repeat for every apartment surrounding the infested unit. Your talking $10's of $1,000's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 02:28 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I saw it. There's already a chemical that kills them----DDT. It was sprayed to kill roaches, but it killed bed bugs too. As a result, bed bugs were inadvertently eradicated from the United States. However, roach motels eliminated the need to spray pesticides for roaches and increased international travel have brought bed bugs back into the US at an alarming rate. Unfortunately, DDT is really dangerous stuff. It's banned almost worldwide. I would seriously reconsider using any spray pesticides as an amature. Serious pesticides should be left to the professionals---especially if you have children and pets.

As for joking about my not wanting bed bugs, all I can say is 'wait until you get them' before you start making fun. I'm sure the OP isn't very happy dealing with them. This is the type of infestion that hurts. I see the misery my coworkers go through. They have bites all over them and they're clawing at their skin. Not only is it uncomfortable, but I'm sure it's downright embarrasing to have bed bug bites all over their faces. If you saw what people go through with a bed bug infestation, you wouldn't be making fun of people who are concerned.
Actually DDT has never been shown to pose any threat to humans. None. I did a lot of research on it after I sprayed my yard with some very old bug killer wihtout first readking the lable (oops - worked great though). It was banned because it makes birds egg shell thin and that was killing off certain species of birds. It also does not break down. Never. Thus it is still ont eh fields where we grow out vegetables and it is still in your food. You undoubtedly ate some DDT today. The concern is that is accumulates in your body and does not go away. No one knows what it might do or cause. They were dumping mass quantities of it in rivers and ponds to kill mosquitoes. It did wonders in third world countries with malaria problems. I found an old bottle of it in an old garage a few years ago. I wish that i had kept it. I could spray it on my bed. Since there are no birds in my bed (usually - except maybe on the rare kinky jungle adventure nights ), I would no be concerned abouyt using it. BEsides since I eat DDT every day, I would rather have DDT in my bed than bedbugs.

Besides, I am probably loaded with DDT, when I was a kid, I helped my Dad spray it on our apple trees so we could sell the apples to you to eat. Oh wait, you are probably already full of DDT too.

The hype panic over DDT reminds me of the absurd panic over swine flu this year. Lets all panic before we get any real facts. (Funny I am home sick with a flu that I caught in California last weekend, so maybe it is swine flu - but who cares, flu is flu. I am getting over it).

Now I think that I will go eat some DDT laced spinach salad with my mercury filled atlantic salmon that I am going to barbque on my carcinogenic charcoal grill outside of my lead paint historic home. Good thing that I do not like trendy panics or I would have to scream wildly while waving my hands in the air and go drown myself in the toxic river that is in front of our house. I prefer common sense and moderation (I will only eat a little spinach and a little salmon - we are having a nice juicy steak too).

However just to be safe, I will have my son barbque for us so I do not risk spreading the flu to my family. (Is it safe to turn a grill over to a 12 year old with a fetish for flames and explosives? Now that might be something to panic over).

Sorry I am a bit loopy I think. This neato flu does come with a healthy fever.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:31 PM

On a more serious note, Have they tried raid fumagators? Not Foggers, those do nto work well. But fumigators seem to kill everything even mice.

You just buy a whole bunch of the expensive little buggers, put your food away in sealed containers seal up your house, set them off and go away for four or five hours. Come back air out the house, and everything is dead. You do nto have to risne everything off like you do with foggers (unless you get dead bugs on your dishes). That may w9ork for bedbugs. We use them two or three times a year and they kill everything. Even ants, moths, roaches, you name it.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGlenn View Post
I couldn't even fall asleep last night till 4 am. Spent the whole night cleaning and I even killed a few of those buggers. I'm going to buy a electromagnetic pest repellent today, and clean everything again. Fortunately they haven't started gnawing on my face and only got my arms and legs so far.
Save your money on the eltromagnetic pest repellant. They do nothing. Do a little test, plug one in and then put something on it that will attract pests, They will be crawling all over the thing in a few hours. Use chemicals.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:07 AM

939 posts, read 3,385,882 times
Update...

The electromagnetic pest repellent didn't work. I then called one of those exterminators that specialize in bed bugs. I prepared by disposing of my mattress & cleaning, vacuuming, and washing everything else in my apartment. The exterminator came and basically used Bedlam (google it) to treat everything in my apartment and I was still having the problem 3 or 4 days later. Out of desperation I went to Lowes and found "Bayer Advanced Home Pest plus Germ Killer" spray, it says on the bottle that it kills bedbugs. All I can say is that the Bayer spray works!! I am bedbug free!

Maybe my post will help others.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:40 AM

225 posts, read 1,075,396 times
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but don't count on being bedbug free just yet. These creatures can live up to a year without feeding and you may even notice one, two, or more in the months to come. I seriously hope you are free of them but just be on the lookout for the next few months. Don't stop whatever preventive measures you are taking right now. Keep up with them. Trust me on this, been there-done that and it took months and several treatments just to feel secure that they were finally gone. Since you have dealt with them you know how small they are and just where they can hide, even under any peeling paint-books-drawers-wherever they desire. I wish you all the best with this. It is a horrible thing that no one can truly appreciate until they have gone through it.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:47 AM

939 posts, read 3,385,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Spirit View Post
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but don't count on being bedbug free just yet. These creatures can live up to a year without feeding and you may even notice one, two, or more in the months to come. I seriously hope you are free of them but just be on the lookout for the next few months. Don't stop whatever preventive measures you are taking right now. Keep up with them. Trust me on this, been there-done that and it took months and several treatments just to feel secure that they were finally gone. Since you have dealt with them you know how small they are and just where they can hide, even under any peeling paint-books-drawers-wherever they desire. I wish you all the best with this. It is a horrible thing that no one can truly appreciate until they have gone through it.
Oh, I know how long they can live without feeding. I'm still actively looking for them and haven't seen any more for about a week. If I happen to find one I'll simply clean everything again and perform another treatment. But it feels good to know that I have found a solution to the problem that actually works.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:22 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
It's good that you found a solution iGlenn. I had to deal with those little vampires last year and so I can relate. One thing that you should consider is a powder called Results Indoor Insect Killer. It's good for your electrical outlets and other places where a liquid spray can't be used. I'm sure there are similar products out there, just make sure that they have pyrethrins as a main ingredient.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:22 PM

15 posts, read 44,780 times
I just found total of 6 brown bugs on the covers of my furniture (moved few weeks ago and while in the process had all the furniture covered from dust and damage) while looking them up i have found that they are Bed Bugs, i got extremely nervous and since i just got a house and wasn't sure if they came with the house or i brought them over from old appartment, therefore, i have called the pest control, the guy came over in the matter of hours and he had a "bed bug" dog, who sniffed all over the place and indicated that i had them in 3 of the closets and under few electric heat radiators, well, 10 minutes and $300 later, he had gave me a write up that the service will cost me an additional $1500 w/out any guarantees that the bugs will be gone!!! the dog looked as he would just walk by the certain areas unless the guy would pull on the him and then the dog would sit, stating that it is the area where the infestation of bed bugs is occuring, for everybody who is considering this service, be very very cautious, that particular guy didn't look like he was true professional in the field. So far i have used the foggers, tomorrow i will get some more stuff that i have read about in this blog... so thanks for tips.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:33 AM

407 posts, read 1,558,930 times
Default I do have a humorous bedbug story...

Back in the mid-90's a friend and I traveled to Moscow and stayed in a not-too-bad hotel. Within a couple days my friend started scratching and itching, especially his legs...

After about a week in the hotel, we finally figured out what the problem was - bedbugs! Sure enough (I was VERY relieved they weren't in MY room)... pesky critters. We made the mistake of bringing the matter up to the hotel management, at which point we were told to pack our bags... their establishment could NOT have bedbugs, and if there were any vermin involved, we had obviously brought them with us from the States!

No problem - we were outta there, but to this day we chuckle that we don't know anyone else that has been thrown out of a Russian hotel like that!

I didn't realize how persistent they are, though, and am relieved none made the trip home. Thankfully, I've never seen one since!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House